Automotive

Check Your Credit Card Coverage On Your Rental - No Coverage For Pickup Truck. READ YOUR POLICY

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2021 5:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH

Check Your Credit Card Coverage On Your Rental - No Coverage For Pickup Truck. READ YOUR POLICY

We've had a few threads about credit card coverage:
Check Posts 3 and 4 about Pick Up Trucks

Upgraded vehicle exceeded credit card maximum.

And now a new story about someone not reading their coverage (a bit click baity from Global News):
Car Rental Insurance Warning
A B.C. woman has a warning for drivers who plan to rent a vehicle this summer: read the fine print of your car rental insurance policy.

Henrietta Veenstra of Squamish was recently hit with a $4,424.50 bill after assuming she was fully covered by her rental’s insurance.
The rental agency was out of cars so they offered the renter a pick up truck. Hail storm damaged the vehicle and when the renter tried to file a claim with their credit card company they found out that the coverage did not include Pick Up Trucks.

Moral of the story is to know what your insurance covers and what is excluded.
7 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Kiraly wrote: Don't waste your time reading your credit card CDW policy about this. It always excludes trucks and cargo vans. I have never seen one that covers them. I thought this was common knowledge.
Apparently its not.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33243 posts
15057 upvotes
This kind of thing always happens when people don't read or understand such policies and what they are covered for. Happened to someone on RFD a while back, there was a big thread on it. Oh wait, OP already linked to that one lol
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
ES_Revenge wrote: This kind of thing always happens when people don't read or understand such policies and what they are covered for. Happened to someone on RFD a while back, there was a big thread on it. Oh wait, OP already linked to that one lol
It's always good to remind people to read their insurance products carefully and understand it. Rehashing an old thread with a new news article should help reach newer users of the site that are not as savvy as some members that have been around for awhile.

Hopefully this isn't seen as pollution and more of a PSA. :)
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7479 posts
4104 upvotes
Debtario
Didn't know credit cards had rental coverage to begin with.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1554 posts
812 upvotes
Cars over $65k also typically not covered.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15281 posts
20608 upvotes
Vancouver
M1K3Z0R wrote: Didn't know credit cards had rental coverage to begin with.
Liability coverage, no. But damage to the rental vehicle, yes many do (passenger vehicles only; no trucks or cargo vans). See my list of free ones: list-no-annual-fee-cards-free-rental-ca ... ge-2223133

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)