Check your PC points. MIne stolen

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2017 11:33 am
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
925 posts
315 upvotes

Check your PC points. MIne stolen

I just st noticed that someone claimed my points using an iPhone in Ottawa. I am in Alberta.

Somehow the person linked there iPhone, and cleared it 500k in points. I don't use an iPhone when I shop only my PC Card.

I called PC points, they said they will investigate, but the rep told me that this has been happening recently. He then said I need to check my profile, and remove the person.

Everyone should ch ck the points and profile. There seems to be some sort of breach.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
175 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1331 posts
300 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
You should probably change your password for the PC Plus website, especially if you use the same password anywhere else.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
What are some theories on how this can happen? Can some tech people chime in? Could it be that the company website got hacked?
Apr 25, 2011
131 posts
29 upvotes
GeeCee wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 11:06 am
You should probably change your password for the PC Plus website, especially if you use the same password anywhere else.
In theory, you shouldn't be using the same password for more than one site.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
925 posts
315 upvotes
Just a little update, we did change our password, but that password is different than our other ones.

I did ask if their site got hacked, and they said no, but what will they say. It will take 5-7 days to clear up they said, but they think it should be sooner because I am not the first.

Also, on your profile, everyone should check, the person had added their iPhone directly into my account and I had to delete them Out
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2367 posts
674 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 7:28 pm
Just a little update, we did change our password, but that password is different than our other ones.

I did ask if their site got hacked, and they said no, but what will they say. It will take 5-7 days to clear up they said, but they think it should be sooner because I am not the first.

Also, on your profile, everyone should check, the person had added their iPhone directly into my account and I had to delete them Out
I'm sorry that happened, but I'm really interested to know how you accumulated that high of a balance. I'm impressed.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3514 posts
609 upvotes
Alberta
We have over 620k in points. It's not hard when you have a PCFWE MasterCard.

OP >> Make sure that you check the cards on your account. Set most of them to collect points only and only set the one you use the most to collect and redeem. It's possible that the linked the guys iPhone to the wrong account.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
925 posts
315 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 8:14 pm
I'm sorry that happened, but I'm really interested to know how you accumulated that high of a balance. I'm impressed.
That's actually only from 2016 spending. It's a combo from bonus points (I don't really look that hard, just what is loaded) and primarily the World Elite card which I only use at superstore, and Costco.
Last edited by Macx2mommy on Dec 30th, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2015
925 posts
315 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 8:18 pm
We have over 620k in points. It's not hard when you have a PCFWE MasterCard.

OP >> Make sure that you check the cards on your account. Set most of them to collect points only and only set the one you use the most to collect and redeem. It's possible that the linked the guys iPhone to the wrong account.
I did see the other persons phone linked, however I do find it suspicious that this is the ONLY tranasction with that phone (nothing previous, and the amount purchased was $508 and they clean put my account.

I don't think this was an accident, and the PC rep said there have a been a few cases very recently happening, so he was not surprised. That's why I made my post to tell everyone to check their points. I caught it two days after, but normally I would never check.

You are right about checking the cards linked. That's what they had me do on the phone. I also have all my cards to redeem only right now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
6950 posts
2110 upvotes
ON
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2016 8:18 pm
It's possible that the linked the guys iPhone to the wrong account.
The only way to add a mobile/phone digital card to your account is to sign into your account on that phone. You're not going to do that with a stranger's account by accident.
Nov 30, 2011
117 posts
19 upvotes
I got an email about this recently as well...
Jun 26, 2002
25 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
had the same thing happen to me today, had over 500k points stolen via phone app, how is this possible???? The rep told me they would need to know my personal info to change the information to their email/name...wth!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16838 posts
1785 upvotes
GTA West
I checked my points and nothing was stolen. I don't use PC Plus.
Hellfire wrote:
Dec 31st, 2016 8:47 pm
For all you people with so many points... why?? Just redeem them every chance you get. What are you hording for? Groceries are everyday items.
I can't even count how many PC Points I've redeemed, but it's easily over $1000 worth (1,000,000 points). Some people save up their points until Christmas so they can do all of their Christmas groceries. Others might be saving for some specific in-store item like a TV or video game system.

That said, I don't think PC Points will have the same problem that Air Miles did. 20,000 points converts to $20 in cash, however, inflation moves onward and upward. PC used to have a big points redemption store where you could get all kinds of merchandise, but they canned it in favour of cash redemptions. This makes sense to me since it removes the need to actively de-value points due to inflation. The value of the dollar goes down automatically, so inflation solves your problem. Bottom line, it's smarter to use your points right away.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Dec 31st, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3514 posts
609 upvotes
Alberta
Hellfire wrote:
Dec 31st, 2016 8:47 pm
For all you people with so many points... why?? Just redeem them every chance you get. What are you hording for? Groceries are everyday items.
Not really hording them, just never get around to using them. 99.9% of mine are from my PCFWE MasterCard.