• Nov 12th, 2004 3:48 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
31 upvotes
rookie wrote:Kraft Cracker Barrel for me!
Lucky you.....on sale at Zehrs....med 4.44.....old a 1$ more....starts Sat.
Also at Loblaws?

The old works for me.
:twisted:
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3787 posts
67 upvotes
ainsane wrote:I haven't been able to tell a difference between BD and Kraft... but I prefer the really old cheddars. I don't know the brand, but this 5 year old cheddar they sell at Costco is awesome. :)

i think it's balderson's cheese, which has repeatedly won gold medals at international competitions for cheese.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4511 posts
161 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Armstrong rocks, one of the few cheeses thats vegetarian, besides the high -end specilty ones found in the local deli or costco.

The major mass market cheeses usually have Rennnet which sucks for the vegetarians who don't like to eat meat :(

Used by cheese manufacturers who want to save a few pennies not using enzymes which cost a bit more.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Jul 10, 2004
444 posts
2 upvotes
Ill also have to go with BD..

Although, if your looking for something a bit fancier.. try buying your cheese and Grade Cheese Factory! mmmm tasty! Masdam is my personal favorite (dutch cheese)
Nov 29, 2003
400 posts
afong56 wrote:i think it's balderson's cheese, which has repeatedly won gold medals at international competitions for cheese.
Yep, that sweet cheese they sell at costco is balderson. It is some of the best best I have ever eaten... mmm... I usually buy the 2 year aged as it is much cheaper than the 5 year. However the 5 year is so crumply and good... mmm, cheese.

How could anyone waste their money on crappy cheeses from Kraft?? :cry:
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1366 posts
107 upvotes
Anyone with taste would know that Kraft Cracker Barrel is a higher quality cheese. A medium Cracker Barrel is like an old Black Diamond. Better texture as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
My Fiance used to work at each of the companies being compared here (Kraft and Parmalat-includes BD, and Balderson).
I'm not going to steer anyone here, but remember, consistency isnt always the way you think it may be. At the chees competitions, the judges actually let the cheese get to room temperature, then kind of knead it with their hands before eating it in order to judge.
Also make sure you are comparing similar milk fat contents between cheeses.
On another note but similar....ever wonder why Tim Hortons coffee tastes better than the office stuff? part of the reason is their "half and half" cream is about 18% milk fat, whereas the stuff you buy from the grocery store is about 10.
FWIW, I luv the Balderson too! But no older than 5 yrs...the really old stuff is too strong for me!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
31 upvotes
Spike wrote:Anyone with taste would know that Kraft Cracker Barrel is a higher quality cheese. A medium Cracker Barrel is like an old Black Diamond. Better texture as well.
Thank you....u got good taste buds...bud.

If you make dishes that use cheese...often best to get old as the flavour in mild is very mild....also old often goes farther as less is needed for flavour.
My last 600gm bar lasted a long time...no mold....
Cheese in smaller sizes r quite expensive....I sometimes share with family members.

Chinese r value players....be a value player.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
Just wanted to add a couple more things....Firstly, Kraft doesnt make cheese. They buy it from a company called Agropure. Not that this is a bad thing. large companies in many industries often outsource their production to companies that specialize in certain products.
And the reason why Krafts has a smoother consistency and takes longer to spoil than BD's, is it isnt naturally aged (read both manufacturers packaging and compare). Chemical aging is cheaper (because its faster) and more consistent than natural aging, and also creates a longer shelf life....But as to which is better, thats up to you.
Sep 20, 2004
122 posts
3 upvotes
Here's my two cents ...

My buddy introduced me to friulano cheese and i'm addicted. You can pick up a mini wheel at your local costco. It's a mild tasting cheese that's stronger than your regular mozzarella.
What would Quagmire say about all these great deals?

"Giggedy, giggedy, giggedy ... ALLLLLLLL RIGHT"
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
I was quite sure Del Monte makes Black Diamond. When I found a fruit fly in my popsicles they gave me a coupon for their products
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
Not sure what you mean....Black Diamond doesnt make popsicles
Might have had a joint promotion with another company at the time. Sometimes a chip company for instance will partner with a dip company for a promo, or often Kool aid with a bottled water company.

But BD is certainly owned by Parmalat (as is beatrice, astro, lactantia and a number of other brands)
its right on the front page of their site http://www.parmalat.ca/
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1366 posts
107 upvotes
I wouldn't say that Kraft has a smoother consistency... it tends to be more crumbly than Black Diamond. Black Diamond actually seems smoother, almost chewy. I would expect BD to be chemically aged since it tends to be cheaper - and it sucks. :D
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
31 upvotes
Spike...u r right...Kraft generally more crumbly which I believe is the 'texture' of better quality cheddar cheeses.

I just bought another 600 gm Kraft old and the texture not a crumbly as last purchase. I like PC White Ched Mac/Chz and I increase flavour and creamy..ness by grating in Kraft OLD

On package....Old/Fort.........
Would love to see a printing error......Old/Fart... :cheesygri