Careers

Chem Eng Tech program @ seneca

[OP]
Oct 8, 2013
13 posts
1 upvote

Chem Eng Tech program @ seneca

Hello all, im going to be taking chem eng tech in [email protected] this jan. I'm really excited to start my education and just wanted some help and guidance. I want to know what i should expect and anything i should do to prepare or should avoid. What are the job prospects like? How are the coop work placements? Should i switch over to York for a chem eng degree after or find a job get a few years of work experience and climb my way up? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1459 posts
240 upvotes
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1459 posts
240 upvotes
Programs
KaridaddM882 wrote: Hey Guys,
I got accepted to both Seneca and Durham college for the Chemical Engineering Technology program and I'm not certain which to choose. I was researching college reviews and the ones I found for Durham were pretty bad so I'm leaning more towards Seneca. Is anyone here apart of CHY program in Seneca? can you tell me about your experience so far?
TenzinL842 wrote: Hey guys, i've got EAC150YB for my chem engineeering course 1st semester this jan. I just wanted to know what the last two letters in the english course means? the "YB". Is it a ranking system? and which is the hardest? the YZ?
durantula wrote: YB just means the course section, they're both the same, if you had EAC149, that would be the lesser credit, eac150 is for those who did well on the skills assessment.
TenzinL842 wrote: Also, it won't let me choose a math course..says i can't choose a level 1 math and level 1 english course. What does that suppose to mean?
durantula wrote: did u do the math skills assessment? if so you probably just have to wait and it will show up there. or you can give them an email,
TenzinL842 wrote: can you be exempt from taking math first year if you aced the assessment? Because i did take the assessment and placed me in EAC150, but no math.
NLI10D wrote: what program are you taking?
TenzinL842 wrote: Chem Eng Tech
Other Programs
johnronse1990 wrote: I am interested in taking Civil Engineering technology at Seneca or Humber college and I was wondering which one is better and which one do you guys recommend?
JHoyles94 wrote: Seneca all the way man
johnronse1990 wrote: Why do you recomend Seneca college?

JHoyles94 wrote: Seneca is a better college overall there's a lot of co op options. And good profs and good schedules
johnronse1990 wrote: Have you ever gone to Seneca before?
JHoyles94 wrote: I go there now I'm doing Computer Networking
johnronse1990 wrote: Are you doing co op?

JHoyles94 wrote: Not right now I apply for co-op this semester
sickcars wrote: Seneca is pretty good however be aware that the market is Saturated with "computer guys" its pretty hard to find a "good" job. It took me a while but I ended up getting in with a place I started at back in high school as a summer student..... took 8 summers to get a 2yr contract.
So keep that in mind guys, if you have other skills or can gain other skills do it to put yourself ahead of other similar people in your field.
johnronse1990 wrote: Do you happen to know how the market is for Civil and Mechanical Engineering technologists grads.
johnronse1990 wrote: I am interested in taking Civil Engineering technology at Humber or Seneca college and I was wondering which one is better. Seneca offers a better co op placement if I get in (2 paid summer terms) while Humber only offers one co op placement but Humber is accredited by CCTT(Canadian Council of Technologists and Technicians), the OACETT(Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists) and CTAB(Canadian Accreditation Technology Board)
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1459 posts
240 upvotes
Schedule
cindylooi wrote: For me, I took EAC190 which was equivalent to EAC150. Usually people will drop within the first 1-2 weeks of classes but keep pushing to get into EAC150 it is a waste of time to take EAC149 than have to take EAC150. Constantly check on Siris and e-mail your program coordinator.
ShowKase wrote: Hey anyone graduate/currently in Seneca's CAB ( Creative Advertising ) program ? I find it really messed up that they are planning to only give 2 weeks notice of what your schedule is going to be prior to the start date of the program. Im going to be attending in the Fall but im a mature student who works full time and having only 2 weeks to make changes / leave my job / look for a job has me worried. All i was told is that classes can be anytime from 8am to 7pm finish at latest. Anyone available to kind of give me an example of what their weekly schedules were ?
dignity08 wrote: It really depends I only have 2 8am classes but they usually don't run past 5 pm that's my latest class all semester and you can try to move your schedule around and get a day off although you could end up with bad profs if you solely rely on the schedule
aidanwhite4 wrote: Try and access your timetable/registration options on SIRIS around august 5 this is when i can create my timetable. not sure what it's like for new students because I was accepted just before my program started and had to make my own timetable and everything, i was not given one. so you may not be able to access yours until 2 weeks before. Contact a coordinator to confirm when you can access and check to make sure you can change your timetable yourself. If not, the coordinator can make changes if need be. Also be advised that you have until day 5 of the semester (sept 8) to change sections and classes. you have until day 10 (sept 15) to drop courses and have them deleted from your academic record. In regards to class times. Classes will never start before 8am, that's insane. But be advised that they can go as late as 9pm sometimes depending on program, campus, how many sections etc. a course section for one class in my program didn't start until 6 05 pm and ended at 8 45pm. it was deemed a "non standard time" but this can happen.
rakablood4ever wrote: trying checking your academic record to see if anything was changed. sometime it happens and it affects the upcoming timetable.
aidanwhite4 wrote: maybe. If you failed something last semester it may be that this is now getting reflected in there and for next sem too in terms of courses. Again check to see w/ an official.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1459 posts
240 upvotes
Prospects
Transferring from Seneca to Lakehead :D McMaster :cry:
ChrigelG wrote: Hey, first time on this site.
I just graduated from Seneca College and i just found out today that id be graduating with honors.
My GPA is a 3.60 and apparently there is some cut off at 3.55, looks like i slid right in.
Senecas site says that i get some notification on my transcript.
Does anything happen during convocation or is there a separate event thing, or nothing at all :s
ChrigelG wrote: I've always heard people talking about graduating with honors, and i never really cared.
I never had this in mind, i just wanted to transfer to a university after.
I got a conditional acceptance during the final semester, so as long as i got a 60+ in all my classes i would be accepted.
im gonna peel off the sticker from my transcript and put it on my fridge :P
ghnboy wrote: which university did you apply?
I'm thinking about going to the university next year.
ChrigelG wrote: I applied to Lakehead University. They are pretty good with transfer credits, i'll be doing 2.5 years there for a Bachelors of Engineering.
McMaster which is closer also offers a bachelors of engineering but they gave me no transfer credits, in fact they wanted me to go back to highschool to take a few Grade 12 4U courses. .
I need a B.Eng if i want to get me Professional Engineers license, so im moving out 17-18 hrs away :p
ChrigelG wrote: Im in CHY (Chemical Engineering Technology) I graduated with a GPA of 3.60.

Thread: College Diploma to University Degreee?

college-diploma-university-degreee-1691335/
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1459 posts
240 upvotes
Coursework
jaksonpearson wrote: Does anyone has the scripts for the win213 assignments, if yes then please pm me. I have dcn386 (including midterm) that i am willing to share
NLI10D wrote: I would caution against sharing scripts to anyone you do not know or trust. If someone is caught with your script, you will have alot of explaining to do. With 213, during test, practical and exam you can bring a cheat sheet. If someone cannot pass a course that has cheat sheet, maybe they are in the wrong program.
strickmans wrote: any tips to do well
after NLI10D said about getting caught with my script, I decided not to give it to anyone, sorry
NLI10D wrote: My win213 class was really annoying. It was already hard enough to understand the teacher's accent and his teaching style but I also had to listen to a group of people who were very disruptive. That same group of people also shared their code and didn't learn anything. They would talk to each other in their own language during tests even when the prof speaks the same language.
Now I am against giving out your codes and assignment because it can get you in trouble however I am all about helping those that really deserve help. I had one guy asked me to help him with his code and when I asked him what he was trying to accomplish with a specific line he responds with "I dont know. My friend's code doesn't work and I need help to make it work". I walked away. I helped other people build their code from scratch and after everything is working perfectly they say "ohhh so that's how you got it to work" and I respond with "no that's now how I coded mine, but that's how YOU got your own code to work with what you understand"
Grades
troy31 wrote: Anyone know when final grades will be posted?
myaa02 wrote: boxing day.
Drop a course
codingsquared wrote: How do I drop a course?
durantula wrote: go to the registration office
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1459 posts
240 upvotes
Education experiences
calcuu wrote: Hey everyone, I just recently applied to Seneca (after the feb 1st deadline sadly) and got one offer but not the program that was exactly my first choice. A few questions I had in mind:
1) I'm a recent university graduate, how's the transition to college like? The program I'm aiming to get into has math,chem, and engineering aspects to it and was wondering how tough they are compared to high school math, chem, etc.
2) How's the Newnham campus like? Pros and cons?
3) How hard is the skills assessment test for someone who hasn't done math in the past 5 years? How long is it?
I appreciate all the help I can get :)
The program I was aiming for is environmental technician with option co-op
Edit: I never completed grade 12 math and they want me to do a pre-admissions test for the program I want, is there a certain mark I need to be accepted? How hard is it?
axis81 wrote: When it comes to good college profs, it's 50/50 (at least for my program), so hope all your technical / advanced / difficult courses have good profs, otherwise be prepared to be very independent. The skills assessment test isn't too difficult - it really tests your basic understanding of math, like percentages or basic algebra. I believe if you do poorly, they just simply bump you down to a 2 part math course, as opposed to 1 condensed math course for graduation requirements.
I think the criteria for coop is cGPA of 3.0 or higher, so make sure your first year grades are good, that way even if you don't do too well on your later years, your cGPA won't suffer as much.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1459 posts
240 upvotes
Facilities
iAmSofaKing wrote: Anyone here use the Seneca Newnham gym? I've never been and would like to know how big the room is, what kind of equipment (punching bags?) and if there is a fee to use the gym.
axis81 wrote: The weight room is small and costs $30/semester I think. Only one bench and equipment is limited. I don't remember seeing a punching bag but it does have all the basics. It also gets pretty packed during peak times and it generally smells like ***** in there. If you're cheap and enjoy the convenience of using a mediocre (at best) weight room after/before class, then by all means. Otherwise pay for a different gym lol
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1459 posts
240 upvotes
Sheridan College also offer Chemical Engineering Technology, Chemical Engineering Technology Co-op and Chemical Engineering Technology Environmental, Chemical Engineering Technology Environmental Co-op. Which one of these Sheridan programs compared and the Seneca Chemical Engineering Technology program shall a student choose ?
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1459 posts
240 upvotes
This is only an information post.

Designing and implementing IT solutions for fortune 500 companies.
nabiul wrote: These days you're going to need a degree if you want to move up into management of IT. My brother did something similar, there was a joint program from a university in the states with the college and program he went to; it fast tracked his degree to 2 years or something which he did online while employed at his regular job. It worked out for him.
Biff88 wrote: If you really want to work in states then a degree is a must.
In terms of promotions at your job, that will be based on your work performance alone.,they won't care about your education. That is typical in I.T.
A degree gets your foot in the door to a first IT job..the rest is based purely on your work performance.
electrical tech diploma to Lakehead University - Transferring
Scrilla wrote: I've been working for a building automation company for the last 3 years(graduated from Algonquin College with a 2 year electrical tech diploma).
Must say that I dont enjoy this industry as a technician/project co-ordinator in operations very much. I run several jobs at one time and perform alot of the field wiring/installation myself. My company doesn't hire electricians very often so i'm usually stuck doing most of the grunt work. Enjoyable aspects of my job would be the networking, co-ordinating, database work, travelling, occasionally programming, my freedom, and other office duties.
Not saying you will dislike this industry either, but if I were you, I would definitely go for your engineering. The farthest you can really go in the industry with just a tech diploma is possibly a project manager. Even then your job just becomes alot more stressful and the pay scale doesnt compensate for it unless your working for siemens/johnson/honeywell. I actually have an offer to work for Honeywell sitting on the table right now.
Only reason why i'm not going back to do my 3rd year(technologist) and continue onto Lakehead, is because i'm applying to go to university for a degree in commerce lol.
If you have any questions, just ask!
kuhai2001 wrote: Should you go to college for certificate, just avoid the coiny private institutes with low reputation.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1459 posts
240 upvotes
mellie81 wrote: Hi... I'm at [email protected] for chemical laboratory technician - pharmaceuticals. I'm going to my 5th semester.
mellie81 wrote: wow... everyone is either a techie or business-oriented. I feel left out :razz:
Unless no one is posting... anyone in the science field?
A decade ago... if you are in college science fields, please show your information and experience.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!