Personal Finance

Cheque Format - How important are the "dashes"? and help with TD Bank cheque order

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2018 5:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg

Cheque Format - How important are the "dashes"? and help with TD Bank cheque order

Hello Everyone,

I just opened a new TD account and I would like to order cheques from ASAP cheques. However, I know with some banks there are "dashes" in the account and I am not sure what format TD Canada Trust uses. Can someone with a TD Bank account comment on the format using hypothetical numbers? I have attached a copy of a cheque image from their website, but I am wondering for their standard chequing and savings accounts which are 7 digits (is there any "designation number" on the cheque such as in the image?) Also with the account number are there any dashes in it?

If I order cheques in the format (transit-bank-account) such as this:
⑆00007⑉004⑆ 1234567⑈ - Is that how it appears on your TD cheques or are there other symbols as well?


I know with other banks sometimes the account number might be like this;
⑆00007⑉004⑆ 12⑉34567⑈ So that is what I want clarification.


Also does anyone know - if the dash is not present...will the cheque bounce?



TD Cheque Image.jpg
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
15 replies
Member
Mar 10, 2009
254 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
I'm a little confused about what you're trying to ask:

The image you posted shows *exactly* how it appears on TD cheques. the format is transit-institution number designation number-account number

so 12345-004 1234-1234567 (transit-institution designation-account number)

When you're looking at your accounts online on EasyWeb, it shows your branch-account number. It doesn't show your transit (the 5th digit of the branch number) and it doesn't show the 4 digit designation number. If you're ordering cheques you need the 5 digit transit and 11 digit account number (4 digit designation + 7 digit account).

The dashes shouldn't be required as long as you have a space between the transit and account number you should be fine.

Hope that helps!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yes I got the Transit number figured out... What I'm curious is in the example it shows a designation number... But for example... With some other banks sometimes they only have designation numbers on certain products like lines of credit, etc... So I was asking if Chequing and Savings accounts have these designation numbers and is there a pattern to try and figure them out (example they might be the first 4 digits of the transit number)

The reason I'm asking if there is a designation number is Because on the PAD forms it doesn't show that... I'm just curious how TD cheques look for people who have TD accounts.

Thanks
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg
I found an old thread on RFD that appears to state that the designation number is your 4 digit branch number as seen in online banking.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/cheques- ... r-1171663/ (6th post down)
PianoGuy wrote:
001 12340-004 1234-1234567

001 = cheque number
12340 = transit number
004 = institution number
1234 = branch number
1234567 = account number
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg
I also found this on the TD site
http://td.intelliresponse.com/tdvisa/?r ... sit+number
Financial Institution Number (Bank Code):
The financial institution number for TD Canada Trust is 004.

Designation Number:
The designation number helps us know which branch the cheque is related to. Designation number is generally 4 digits, which is your TD branch location number, and then an extra digit to represent the province.

Account Number:
If your account number only has 6 digits but a form requires 7, simply add a 0 to the start. For example, 123456 is 0123456.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg
So now my question would be.... Has anyone ordered from ASAP cheques without having a previous cheque and how do you convince them to put this designation number on it if it doesn't show up on any TD forms?

Thanks
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Member
Mar 10, 2009
254 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
Shawguy wrote: Yes I got the Transit number figured out... What I'm curious is in the example it shows a designation number... But for example... With some other banks sometimes they only have designation numbers on certain products like lines of credit, etc... So I was asking if Chequing and Savings accounts have these designation numbers and is there a pattern to try and figure them out (example they might be the first 4 digits of the transit number)

The reason I'm asking if there is a designation number is Because on the PAD forms it doesn't show that... I'm just curious how TD cheques look for people who have TD accounts.

Thanks
All TD chequing and savings accounts have a 4 digit designation number. It is *not* always your branch number (the designation number for my TD account is not the same as my branch).

When you're receiving transfers from someone online or over the phone the designation number is not required (just your 4 digit branch and 7 digit account number) however for cheques I'm pretty certain it is required to be on there.

If you don't have a cheque for your account you can get your designation number by calling easyline.
Member
Mar 10, 2009
254 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
Shawguy wrote: I found an old thread on RFD that appears to state that the designation number is your 4 digit branch number as seen in online banking.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/cheques- ... r-1171663/ (6th post down)
That post you quoted by piano guy is not always correct. For example my branch number for one of my accounts is 0329 however the designation number is 7928
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg
imperial1 wrote: That post you quoted by piano guy is not always correct. For example my branch number for one of my accounts is 0329 however the designation number is 7928
Ok thanks. I will call in. I just fear the representative on the phone will have no idea what I'm talking about
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Member
Mar 10, 2009
254 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
Shawguy wrote: Ok thanks. I will call in. I just fear the representative on the phone will have no idea what I'm talking about
They will know. Tell them you need your full 11 digit account number including the designation number.

Alternatively, if you want, you can tell me your branch number and I'll let you know what your designation number is (I work for TD).
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1000 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal
Shawguy wrote: I know with other banks sometimes the account number might be like this;
⑆00007⑉004⑆ 12⑉34567⑈ So that is what I want clarification.
In case you are interested, Payments Canada (formerly known as the Canadian Payments Association) published standards with respect to MICR encoding. There is an appendix with the position of each digit and dash for each bank.
https://www.payments.ca/sites/default/f ... mplete.pdf (see Appendix IV)
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 17, 2008
2674 posts
2029 upvotes
Winnipeg
imperial1 wrote: They will know. Tell them you need your full 11 digit account number including the designation number.

Alternatively, if you want, you can tell me your branch number and I'll let you know what your designation number is (I work for TD).
PM Sent
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2004
3815 posts
1090 upvotes
I closed my TD (originally Canada Trust) account a while back, but I never had a designation number printed on my cheques and it wasn't ever an issue. Did have an extra digit after the account number though.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 1, 2012
503 posts
113 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
I found this tool that gives you the TD designation although i do not know how accurate it is

https://www.chequesplus.com/personal-ch ... ues-online

if you scroll down the page and type in your 5 digit TD transit number, your branch should populate select it, and you will see the designation number populated

Image
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4409 posts
2063 upvotes
Toronto
Does TD online banking have a page that allows you to print off a void cheque or a form for PAD's (Pre Authorized Debits)? Or a form for auto deposits e.g. payroll. If so that should give you all the info you need.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2541 posts
1037 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
ROYinTO wrote: Does TD online banking have a page that allows you to print off a void cheque or a form for PAD's (Pre Authorized Debits)? Or a form for auto deposits e.g. payroll. If so that should give you all the info you need.
all banks and CUs do show that. as long as it's matching the PAD/EFT requirement, there shouldn't be a problem printing a cheque w/ those info.
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.

Top