[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1403 posts
1411 upvotes
GTA

Chevrolet to kill Sonic, Ford to end Fiesta and Taurus

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/04/rep ... ta-taurus/

RIP. I was just in the market for a Sonic for my mother before this news broke.
Can anyone comment on how this would affect future warranty / recalls / maintenance on a discontinued model?

It's a trend with no end in sight, as fuel prices remain low and the Trump administration eyes a rollback of tough Obama-era fuel-efficiency mandates. Sales of sedans, coupes and other car segments represented just 37 percent of U.S. sales in 2017, down from 51 percent in 2012, the Journal reports.
Honda Accord is not selling well despite it having rave reviews. Looks like people are flocking to SUV's.
40 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3660 posts
2186 upvotes
Ontario
Fiesta very much alive and kicking in Europe. In North America the small economical ICE car segment is about to be replaced by BEVs.

Taurus pretty much made obsolete by current Fusion which is almost as roomy and way better on gas.
Last edited by Martin (deal addict) on Apr 5th, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Mar 12, 2018
150 posts
436 upvotes
R.I.P. Fiesta ST

With the Taurus gone what will cops drive now?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7240 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Fiesta very much alive and kicking in Europe. In North America the small economical ICE car segment is about to be replaced by BEVs.
People are going to spend 38K+ on BEV's instead of 21K on ICE cars to save $2k a year in gas?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3660 posts
2186 upvotes
Ontario
frogger wrote: People are going to spend 38K+ on BEV's instead of 21K on ICE cars to save $2k a year in gas?
Small BEVs out of China will be price competitive with small ICEs before too long.

My FFE was around $4k more than an equivalent spec ICE Focus (not counting the rebate). So ahead after 2 years without $14k rebate, and we are talking low volume compliance car and an early adopter market.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7240 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Small BEVs out of China will be price competitive with small ICEs before too long.

My FFE was around $4k more than an equivalent spec ICE Focus (not counting the rebate). So ahead after 2 years without $14k rebate, and we are talking low volume compliance car and an early adopter market.
Ok well I will disagree with you that we will see mass adoption of 22K subcompact BEV's (before rebate) or 30K well equipped BEV compacts any time soon (within 5-6 years or another generation of Sonic, Fiesta etc) to replace ICE equivalents. Your vehicle is sold at a loss by Ford as a compliance vehicle or it wouldn't be a constrained model..
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32205 posts
18050 upvotes
Ottawa
Intersting to see what the new fleet of sedans will be for Police departments and other law enforcement agencies.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3660 posts
2186 upvotes
Ontario
frogger wrote: Ok well I will disagree with you that we will see mass adoption of 22K subcompact BEV's (before rebate) or 30K well equipped BEV compacts any time soon (within 5-6 years or another generation of Sonic, Fiesta etc) to replace ICE equivalents. Your vehicle is sold at a loss by Ford as a compliance vehicle or it wouldn't be a constrained model..
Maybe not mass adoption in NA but certainly mass production/availablity and economies of scale as China is the biggest market for BEVs and will be biggest producer.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4926 posts
2289 upvotes
Mississauga
vkizzle wrote: Intersting to see what the new fleet of sedans will be for Police departments and other law enforcement agencies.
Dodge Charger and Ford Explorer, with a smattering of Chevrolet Tahoes around.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24116 posts
2975 upvotes
Montreal
gM, Ford and Chrysler are in the business of selling high margin SUVs and trucks. Cars are hobby for them.

The Germans and japanese will step in and fill the void.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7972 posts
2462 upvotes
howdyhoe wrote: R.I.P. Fiesta ST

With the Taurus gone what will cops drive now?
Probably the same Chargers they currently drive?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2280 posts
1527 upvotes
Markham
Not a surprise, all of these have some sort of CUV that fills their hole. The Trax is merely a Sonic hatch on stilts. Same with the Ecosport regarding the Fiesta. Since the current Explorer became so large, I doubt anybody went with a Taurus.

For myself, if all that's out there are CUVs I won't buy any new car. Driven hundreds of CUVs in my time and I've liked none of them. Any ones that were modestly enjoyable I quickly remember the car equivalent and realized that was way better.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1403 posts
1411 upvotes
GTA
wouldn't it affect parts availability in the future?

Resale will take a hit I'm sure
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3972 upvotes
Toronto
it was doomed to fail from day 1. The price point of a Fiesta doesn't make sense, when you can get a larger car for the same price with similar fuel economy.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2280 posts
1527 upvotes
Markham
georgecantstandya wrote: wouldn't it affect parts availability in the future?

Resale will take a hit I'm sure
Fiesta is quite common in Europe so sourcing parts for that one shouldn't be much trouble. Taurus still has the wrecked or retired Police Interceptors where a owner could source parts from. The only slight question mark is the Sonic but even that I don't think will be that tricky.

As for resale, all of these didn't do well in the first place. The Fiesta had the horrible Powershift problems which harmed any decent resale for it. The Sonic never really was on anybody's radar. The Taurus belongs to a class of cars all suffering, it just happens to be the first in a while to fall.
daivey wrote: it was doomed to fail from day 1. The price point of a Fiesta doesn't make sense, when you can get a larger car for the same price with similar fuel economy.
There was a way to get the Fiesta to be a class leading fuel sipper, one just needed to know how to use 3 pedals for the SFE Ecoboost version. Of course, very few people in North America will buy a car with 3 pedals these days.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)