• Jan 18th, 2018 2:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1441 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto

Chevy volt questions vs. Electric cars?

ok... I know the Chevy Volt is both Electric and Gas, but does it still have the normal engine installed? Like is there any maintenance on the car? like an oil change on regular cards are like 5000km? is volt the same?

what is maintenance that needs to be done on the Volt?

How is engine different on Volt vs. ford all electric?

I am debating on getting the Volt because I need both electric and Gas... I do tend to do more highway driving and around 170km/day.....

Currently, I drive about 170/km a day on Volt, I will be saving more money a year.. i spend about 45000/year..
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1782 posts
468 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
normal engine and motor combined propulsion, longer maintenance though.

you are not gonna save a lot on volt. as you drive 100km on gas and 70 on electricity, but full EV at this price range will have only about 170km range, so you will be towed in winter.
And also at highway speed, gas car can be quite efficient as well, the saving further diminish.

Your only way to save is to get a BOLT for a bit higher price.
Last edited by napoleonbot on Jan 5th, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<No political content in signatures>
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1257 upvotes
napoleonbot wrote: normal engine and motor combined propulsion, longer maintenance though.

you are not gonna save a lot on volt. as you drive 100km on gas and 70 on electricity, but full EV at this price range will have only about 170km range, so you will be towed in winter.
And also at highway speed, gas car can be quite efficient as well, the saving further diminish.

Your only way to save is to get a BOLT for a bit higher price.
You can still save a lot with the Volt imo. I've only had the car for 3 weeks but I've improved my EV to fuel efficiency by great measures. Even on a very cold day like today which was -37c with the wind chill I was able to go 90% EV and 10% gas. I preheated the car for around 8 minutes before driving both in my garage then later outdoors. I drove 22km on EV and 2.5km on gas, The Volt is also considerably cheaper than the Bolt with no range anxiety either. You can also get a mod if you want to disable the ERDTT. So if I wasted a litre of gas, big deal. In the warmer temperatures the efficiency and range will be much better.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5222 posts
2600 upvotes
Ottawa
The current Volt is rated as having a battery range of 85 kms - or about 1/2 the OP's daily distance - and will run in battery-charging mode at 5.6L/100kms, roughly 4.8L of fuel for the remainder of the OP's daily mileage. I am simplifying the math but that's still 85 kms a day running the engine or roughly 20,000 kms/year. Oil and filter changes are governed by an onboard oil life monitor but with the OP's kind of mileage, you can count on about two oil changes a year. I doubt if there would be much more engine maintenance than that based on what I have to do on the kids' 2012 Cruze but there would undoubtedly eventually be a coolant change etc - but these are waaay down the road and fairly infrequent requirements.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26342 posts
3399 upvotes
Montreal
Do you have charging at work?

Depending on driving, the volt can go 2 years without an oil change. I change it every year cause it's free.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1441 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote: Do you have charging at work?

Depending on driving, the volt can go 2 years without an oil change. I change it every year cause it's free.
Yah my company provides free charging station and they have 8 available.

How much would it cost to install one at home?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26342 posts
3399 upvotes
Montreal
ysl5710 wrote: Yah my company provides free charging station and they have 8 available.

How much would it cost to install one at home?
Then the volt will work. The "base" range is 83km. So will be able to get to work on one charge, fill up and get back.

In winter the range will degrade. This week I'm getting 40-50km. So in your case you will spend 40% of your trip in gas. In summer you can get over 110km so you will have range to spare.

A home L2 charger is around 700-800$ plus cost of install. Your province may pay for part of it.

Join us in the EV thread and get more details. We have volt, i3 golf and focus owners.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1441 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
RedStrikeCa wrote: Sounds like you work for fleet carma in Waterloo? What's it like working there?

My cost was $640 + tax included ESA inspection for 40A breaker , 8 gauge wire, plug style installation.
I work in the gta.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1441 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
What thread is that? Inread in winter, it can degrade to 50 percent due to heat and other factors.

mr_raider wrote: Then the volt will work. The "base" range is 83km. So will be able to get to work on one charge, fill up and get back.

In winter the range will degrade. This week I'm getting 40-50km. So in your case you will spend 40% of your trip in gas. In summer you can get over 110km so you will have range to spare.

A home L2 charger is around 700-800$ plus cost of install. Your province may pay for part of it.

Join us in the EV thread and get more details. We have volt, i3 golf and focus owners.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20753 posts
4872 upvotes
Poormond Hill
ysl5710 wrote: What thread is that? Inread in winter, it can degrade to 50 percent due to heat and other factors.
Everything About EVs
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1547 posts
239 upvotes
Hamilton
Will employers start charging to charge up vehicles at work? Right now some employers are offering free charge, but it may change soon, where everyone will need to pay to charge up. It may still be cheaper to charge at the company instead of home. The difference is 5/cents cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5016 posts
9807 upvotes
Ottawa
tester85 wrote: Will employers start charging to charge up vehicles at work? Right now some employers are offering free charge, but it may change soon, where everyone will need to pay to charge up. It may still be cheaper to charge at the company instead of home. The difference is 5/cents cheaper.
Totally depends on employer. Government can only regulate that employer can't charge more than the cost of electricity. But yes, electricity cost during the day is about 5c more than at night when majority charge at home.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6103 posts
2167 upvotes
Ottawa
seafish wrote: Totally depends on employer. Government can only regulate that employer can't charge more than the cost of electricity. But yes, electricity cost during the day is about 5c more than at night when majority charge at home.
Just curious what you based this on. I've never heard anything like that (if it's something that was recently announced with Ontario's grant for employers to offer EV stations, that probably only applies to recipients of the grant which isn't the case for the OPs employer ...)

For the OP, if your intention is to get a Volt to save money, unless you are charging at work for free, you probably won't save much money compared to a Prius or an efficient diesel. Unfortunately the Volt is not that efficient in gas mode and you'll be driving a lot on gas (particularly in the winter). You mentioned your employer has 8 charging stations; how many employees use them? Will you be able to charge every day? (There were 2 charging stations at my last employer but we were 9 or 10 EVs so you couldn't really charge every day ...)