Automotive

Chi @ Auto 360

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2013 11:13 pm
Dec 11, 2008
94 posts

Chi @ Auto 360

As recommended by many RFD’ers I brought my 2000 Honda accord to Chi at Auto360 to fix 2 problems: vibration when stepping on the brake and whirring noise in the front wheels. After test drive with Chi he told me the brake discs and pads need to be replaced to fix the vibration problem and the wheel bearings need to be replaced to fix the whirring noise. We agree on the price and I got my car fixed that day. After a month driving the whirring noise came back, I called Chi who quickly blamed the noise must be from the other bearing because he only replaced one wheel bearing last time. I was shocked to hear that he only replaced one bearing as I always believed the price I paid was for 2 bearings, 2 rotors and 2 brake pads.
Now for the same whirring noise problem I am looking at another $200 to $250 to replace the other bearing and God knows if that is going to fix the problem.
I learned my lesson now that the shady garage gave me a low price not because its labour and after market parts are cheap but beacause it cheated me by only replacing one bearing. If the price Chi quoted me for 2 beairngs it would be a little less than the dealer quote and I rather had my car fixed at the dealer with Honda parts, full warranty and licensed mechanics.
143 replies
Jun 2, 2007
441 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Uh, don't mechanics generally only replace one bearing at a time if only one needs to be replaced? I think you are confused and uneducated.
Dec 11, 2008
94 posts
quick90 wrote: Uh, don't mechanics generally only replace one bearing at a time if only one needs to be replaced? I think you are confused and uneducated.
He probably replaced the good bearing and left the bad one there so the same problem came back. what an idiot!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1702 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
peter__p wrote: He probably replaced the good bearing and left the bad one there so the same problem came back. what an idiot!
He fixed what your problem was. Like you said, the problem came back a month later, how is that his problem? If anything YOU should have told him to replace both at the same time.

Never had a problem at Chi's, so this thread is useless...
Jan 8, 2005
83 posts
Wheel bearings are not changed in pairs. you replace whats bad unless the customer ask for replacing both sides at same time.

If he did not change the bad one to begin with then your noise would not have gone away now would it? Mechanic doesnt design cars they simply try to replace a bad component with another component that is not broken.

poor guy had no hand in designing the car nor the part he replaced it with. His job is to remove the old and instal the new part. Any thing in between, before and after is out of his hands.
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
Do you have a receipt stating what he replaced and parts ordered?
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Jan 8, 2005
83 posts
EscaBoi wrote: He fixed what your problem was. Like you said, the problem came back a month later, how is that his problem? If anything YOU should have told him to replace both at the same time.

Never had a problem at Chi's, so this thread is useless...
I dont know chi but I agree with you. There is so much wrong with this topic it is not even funny.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
quick90 wrote: Uh, don't mechanics generally only replace one bearing at a time if only one needs to be replaced? I think you are confused and uneducated.
+1.

Wow.
Aug 31, 2004
523 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
After a month driving the whirring noise came back

I would suggest the mechanic repaired the issues at the time and we are happy. One month later you had a new issue and resolved. Your mechanical knowledge is extremely limited as demonstrated by your posting. The first time 2 rotors and 2 sets of pads were replaced - standard, as well as repairing one dry bearing - standard.

By the way, what was the dealer's written quote and exactly what did it include. Please post

peter__p Methinks you owe the mechanic an apology!
Dec 11, 2008
94 posts
kickster wrote: Wheel bearings are not changed in pairs. you replace whats bad unless the customer ask for replacing both sides at same time.

If he did not change the bad one to begin with then your noise would not have gone away now would it? Mechanic doesnt design cars they simply try to replace a bad component with another component that is not broken.

poor guy had no hand in designing the car nor the part he replaced it with. His job is to remove the old and instal the new part. Any thing in between, before and after is out of his hands.
I did not ask him to to replace the bearings, i asked him to fix the noise problem, he suggested to replace the bearings so the noise would be gone. Bottom line, the problem remains after i paid for the bearings proving his diagnosis was wrong.
Jun 4, 2005
878 posts
427 upvotes
peter__p wrote: I did not ask him to to replace the bearings, i asked him to fix the noise problem, he suggested to replace the bearings so the noise would be gone. Bottom line, the problem remains after i paid for the bearings proving his diagnosis was wrong.
You, my friend, are so stubborn...
You don't listen to anyone on the forum...

You brought your car in for a whining noise. It was a faulty bearing, and the mechanic replaced it. The noise is gone. PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Now the bearing on the other side was also shot a month later. THE PROBLEM DID NOT REMAIN BECAUSE WHEN YOU GOT BACK THE CAR, THE NOISE ON THE SIDE THAT ORIGINALLY MADE SOUND WAS GONE!!! This time around, it is a NEW PROBLEM, on the other side of the bearing that was changed. IT IS NOT THE SAME SIDE AND PROBLEM.

If the mechanic changed two bearings, are you gonna make another post saying you got scammed because only one bearing was faulty and instead he changed both?

If you have cancer in your left kidney, and the doctor has that kidney removed, and a month later, you realize there's cancer in the right kidney, are you gonna yell at your doctor that he scammed you?!
Jun 2, 2007
441 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Dude seriously, you need to understand something. Wheel bearings HAVE to be replaced over time! there was nothing WRONG with the car! one bearing wore out, he replaced it. A month later the other one wore out. That's NORMAL. Now you have to pay to have the other replaced! I think you just ASSUMED (dont assume as it can make an ass out of u and me!) he would replace both wheel bearings, when in fact if only one is going you only replace one at a time!
Dec 11, 2008
94 posts
SkylineR34X wrote: You, my friend, are so stubborn...
You don't listen to anyone on the forum...

You brought your car in for a whining noise. It was a faulty bearing, and the mechanic replaced it. The noise is gone. PROBLEM FIXED!!!

Now the bearing on the other side was also shot a month later. THE PROBLEM DID NOT REMAIN BECAUSE WHEN YOU GOT BACK THE CAR, THE NOISE ON THE SIDE THAT ORIGINALLY MADE SOUND WAS GONE!!! This time around, it is a NEW PROBLEM, on the other side of the bearing that was changed. IT IS NOT THE SAME SIDE AND PROBLEM.

If the mechanic changed two bearings, are you gonna make another post saying you got scammed because only one bearing was faulty and instead he changed both?

If you have cancer in your left kidney, and the doctor has that kidney removed, and a month later, you realize there's cancer in the right kidney, are you gonna yell at your doctor that he scammed you?!
How do you know the noise is from one side? Do not assume as it 's an asss between u and me.
Jun 2, 2007
441 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
what do you mean from one side? you already proved it was only one wheel bearing as the noise disappeared once he replaced one!
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1127 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
peter_p. Please just take the advise from other members on this forums. Everyone that had responded have indicated that Chi did exactly what an honest mechanic should be doing. Fix the car, replace bad parts, charge a reasonable rate.

You car developed a new problem one month later, this is not his fault. You just have to suck it up and fix it.

In addition, if you are not sure what had been done to your car, please double check with the mechanic. I am sure you 'assumed' that he replaced two bearings.

Btw, I don't know who Chi is and I go to one of his competitor down the street. Therefore, my comments are completely unbiased.
Jun 4, 2005
878 posts
427 upvotes
peter__p wrote: How do you know the noise is from one side? Do not assume as it 's an asss between u and me.
If one bearing is faulty, the noise comes from one side... it's not an assumption, it's a fact...
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
If you brought him the car the first time & when you left the Noises were gone. That means he fixed your issue & did good work.

Now 1 Month later you have the sound again its because the other bearing is bad which is very possible since they were both installed at the same time so there is a good chance that they could go bad around the same time. BUT instead of the mechanic changing both basically changing another part when its not needed he saved you money by not replacing it. Its just bad luck that it did happen to go bad a month later.

So the Mechanic DID do his job properly
The mechanic did NOT rip you off

If you dont like it then you can go to the dealer and get your headlight fluid changed so your headlights dont go bad.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
kickster wrote: Wheel bearings are not changed in pairs. you replace whats bad unless the customer ask for replacing both sides at same time.

Any mechanic I know of would never had replaced only one bearing in the hub.The fact that one was loose and making noise immediatley puts undue stress on the remaining bearing and affects its life. If the tech went to the trouble to push out one bearing, he would have also affected the other.
As for the noise coming back immediatley if he did not replace the other one, that is wrong, just the action of seating the one new bearing and performing the proper torque procedure on installation of the hub would re-seat the other bearing and any noises would temporarily go away.
http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/S/7 ... earing.jpg
It has absolutely nothing to do with the mechanic designing the car, that is a bizarre statement. He is a qualified mechanic, when replacing wheel bearings, they need to be replaced in pairs, inner and outer as they perform a different function on the tapered spindle, if there is one, if not, then the bearings are in a hub assembly, in which case, both are replaced when it is changed out.
The OP is right, he came in with a problem, asked for a diagnosis and got it fixed based on that diagnosis. In my opinion, the mechanic did not fix it properly.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
I think ppl are talking about bearings on the OTHER wheel instead of bearings on one wheel. And I agree those bearings should be replaced in pair as they are against each other. And I think when the bearings come in pairs when ordered as in thrust bearings.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Any mechanic I know of would never had replaced only one bearing in the hub.The fact that one was loose and making noise immediatley puts undue stress on the remaining bearing and affects its life. If the tech went to the trouble to push out one bearing, he would have also affected the other.
As for the noise coming back immediatley if he did not replace the other one, that is wrong, just the action of seating the one new bearing and performing the proper torque procedure on installation of the hub would re-seat the other bearing and any noises would temporarily go away.
http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/S/7 ... earing.jpg
It has absolutely nothing to do with the mechanic designing the car, that is a bizarre statement. He is a qualified mechanic, when replacing wheel bearings, they need to be replaced in pairs, inner and outer as they perform a different function on the tapered spindle, if there is one, if not, then the bearings are in a hub assembly, in which case, both are replaced when it is changed out.
The OP is right, he came in with a problem, asked for a diagnosis and got it fixed based on that diagnosis. In my opinion, the mechanic did not fix it properly.
That's assuming that a Honda Accord uses individual bearings and the mechanic only replaced one half of it. Both assumptions are wrong as the OP's car uses a sealed bearing. There is only one piece to replace.

[IMG]http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/getim ... 4140-1.jpg[/IMG]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)