Chicken in Jelly with Vegetables

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2021 6:07 pm
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5528 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Poultry broth is full of gelatine. Ever simmered down a chicken carcass and let it cool in the fridge? Guess too many people just dump the leftovers.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5528 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
lecale wrote: My maternal grandparents were conservative Christian Austrians who came to Canada to claim settlement land, so Mennonite-ish. My father was a postwar immigrant from Germany. Many Germans came here after the war, they just did not generally wave their flag because it was social suicide. My grandmother told my mother she was ruining her life by marrying a German man even though the family had Germanic heritage. We still celebrate National Hate the Germans Day (aka Poppy Day) here, 75 years later, well after the original antagonists have all died.
The single men (from German-speaking countries) seems to be rare (compared to other European countries), probably because most died and thus there were lots of available women at home. Seems to have been more couples with or without young children.
Most Germans have fully assimilated under the pressure which is why the few German delis that existed have evaporated & most are Warsaw Pact country affiliated, like Starsky's, & Zehrs no longer specializes in German foods as it originally did.
Depends on where you are. Doesn't seem to be so in parts out west with substantial German settlement (even have German and Austrian clubs). Still going strong though the bakeries are downscaling (no one wants to do the work of a Germanic baker).
There is a forward in the book that states the purpose is to indoctrinate Canadian brides in the manner of German cooking. There are recipes for offal including fried brains. As the sausage maker says, "We make ends meet/We make ends meat." Continental food may be fancy to the Brits, but this book is for the frugal housewife. It is everyday food.
I'd really like to know what market the book was intended for. Offal and tripe didn't seem to be eaten by "Canadians" in the post-war period. Seems tripe, offal and even chicken wings and ribs were priced at next to nothing in the prairies within the decade after WW-II.
Dr. Oetker belongs to the era when chefs were men like Duncan Hines or Hector Boiardi (Chef Boy-ar-dee). Betty Crocker is a marketing invention, a composite of the American housewife, not a real person. Irma S. Rombauer, the author of The Joy of Cooking, was the daughter of Germans, though & wrote in the same era.
I meant the cook book. My wife has/had a (german) edition belonging to her grandmother.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: The single men (from German-speaking countries) seems to be rare (compared to other European countries), probably because most died and thus there were lots of available women at home. Seems to have been more couples with or without young children.

Depends on where you are. Doesn't seem to be so in parts out west with substantial German settlement (even have German and Austrian clubs). Still going strong though the bakeries are downscaling (no one wants to do the work of a Germanic baker).

I'd really like to know what market the book was intended for. Offal and tripe didn't seem to be eaten by "Canadians" in the post-war period. Seems tripe, offal and even chicken wings and ribs were priced at next to nothing in the prairies within the decade after WW-II.

I meant the cook book. My wife has/had a (german) edition belonging to her grandmother.
I think after WWII there was a shortage of men in all quarters, of all nationalities. Many single men wanted to get the heck out of Germany because it was a mess after the war & needed to be entirely rebuilt, physically, politically, & socially. They saw much more opportunity & hope in the US & Canada than in postwar Europe. People say there was so much work available in the reconstruction but politically & socially there was turmoil & that is what young Germans who were born during or close after the war fled.

Alberta, where my mother is from, is different from Ontario, where my parents set up house. Toronto was & is absolutely devoid of German restaurants, clubs, bookstores, delis & there was a lot of anti-German sentiment out this way. The prairie West is much more rural & that made a big difference because there was not as strong an established culture to act against & supress German culture. In the West London Drugs carries a lot of imported German food products to this day, but there is no equivalent here anymore.

In Ontario, Germans ended up northwest & west of Toronto towards the Tech Triangle in the "Zehrs belt," & there is a Mennonite population northwest & west of that where the Zehrses had hitching posts for horses & carriages. Over time German cultural institutions have continued to fade. I end up ordering stuff from London Drugs out of Airdrie because you cannot get it locally here, which is ridiculous. Here, Germans are truly assimilated. There is little trace of them culturally. They have become strictly Canadian.

It is similar in much of the the US, where few people recognize that Matt Groening's The Simpsons is absolutely loaded with German cultural references because Groening's family heritage is German & Mennonite & his father was born in Western Canada where there was more freedom to be just that. Otto Mann, the archetypical German scientist type, may have been this || close to flat broke at any point in time but he always at least had a jar of proper mustard, if nothing else. German Americans have had the German flushed out of them to such a degree they no longer recognize the importance of keeping mustard at hand & preserving their heritage despite pressure to abandon it. Mustard holds no significance to many of them. If anything, they eat awful French's yellow prepared mustard that has no bite or character (& too much vinegar) & see The Simpsons as iconic Americans, despite all the German names (many from Groening's own family) & cultural references in it.

Though her parents were native German speakers, my mother never learned any of the language until she met my father, and not much even then. In order to cook what was familiar to him, she needed something written in English. A lot of the food was not familiar to her either & she mocked the idea of stewed fruit as "dinner," it was so foreign to her. She grew up in northern Alberta where the roads ended on a 1,000 acre land claim & my father came from cosmopolitan Berlin. There was a massive cultural gap. That was the cookbook that bridged the two worlds & attempted to halt the cultural losses here.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2632 upvotes
GTA West
lecale wrote: I think after WWII there was a shortage of men in all quarters, of all nationalities. Many single men wanted to get the heck out of Germany because it was a mess after the war & needed to be entirely rebuilt, physically, politically, & socially. They saw much more opportunity & hope in the US & Canada than in postwar Europe. People say there was so much work available in the reconstruction but politically & socially there was turmoil & that is what young Germans who were born during or close after the war fled.

Alberta, where my mother is from, is different from Ontario, where my parents set up house. Toronto was & is absolutely devoid of German restaurants, clubs, bookstores, delis & there was a lot of anti-German sentiment out this way. The prairie West is much more rural & that made a big difference because there was not as strong an established culture to act against & supress German culture. In the West London Drugs carries a lot of imported German food products to this day, but there is no equivalent here anymore.

In Ontario, Germans ended up northwest & west of Toronto towards the Tech Triangle in the "Zehrs belt," & there is a Mennonite population northwest & west of that where the Zehrses had hitching posts for horses & carriages. Over time German cultural institutions have continued to fade. I end up ordering stuff from London Drugs out of Airdrie because you cannot get it locally here, which is ridiculous. Here, Germans are truly assimilated. There is little trace of them culturally. They have become strictly Canadian.

It is similar in much of the the US, where few people recognize that Matt Groening's The Simpsons is absolutely loaded with German cultural references because Groening's family heritage is German & Mennonite & his father was born in Western Canada where there was more freedom to be just that. Otto Mann, the archetypical German scientist type, may have been this || close to flat broke at any point in time but he always at least had a jar of proper mustard, if nothing else. German Americans have had the German flushed out of them to such a degree they no longer recognize the importance of keeping mustard at hand & preserving their heritage despite pressure to abandon it. Mustard holds no significance to many of them. If anything, they eat awful French's yellow prepared mustard that has no bite or character (& too much vinegar) & see The Simpsons as iconic Americans, despite all the German names (many from Groening's own family) & cultural references in it.

Though her parents were native German speakers, my mother never learned any of the language until she met my father, and not much even then. In order to cook what was familiar to him, she needed something written in English. A lot of the food was not familiar to her either & she mocked the idea of stewed fruit as "dinner," it was so foreign to her. She grew up in northern Alberta where the roads ended on a 1,000 acre land claim & my father came from cosmopolitan Berlin. There was a massive cultural gap. That was the cookbook that bridged the two worlds & attempted to halt the cultural losses here.
I found there has always been a robust German ethnic presence in Ontario since the war. I met and worked with a lot of "Germans", but in fact most of them were ethnic Germans from places like Poland, Romania, Lithuania, etc. who were displaced during the war and did not really feel they belonged in West Germany, after their families had resettled in Slavic lands to the east centuries ago. As you say, these people tended to lay low and assimilate to avoid the prejudice we had toward Germans, even though many of them were victims of the war too. London, Kitchener, Hamilton, and Toronto. So many clubs and stores catering to German tastes although now evolved for a wider ethnic market, like Denningers in Hamilton. Some of their cuisine has entered our own, and German style breads and sausages are found everywhere.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I found there has always been a robust German ethnic presence in Ontario since the war. I met and worked with a lot of "Germans", but in fact most of them were ethnic Germans from places like Poland, Romania, Lithuania, etc. who were displaced during the war and did not really feel they belonged in West Germany, after their families had resettled in Slavic lands to the east centuries ago. As you say, these people tended to lay low and assimilate to avoid the prejudice we had toward Germans, even though many of them were victims of the war too. London, Kitchener, Hamilton, and Toronto. So many clubs and stores catering to German tastes although now evolved for a wider ethnic market, like Denningers in Hamilton. Some of their cuisine has entered our own, and German style breads and sausages are found everywhere.
Hamilton has some good stuff. They have a market called Dutch Toko (also one in Guelph) that sells salted licorice, pieces of natural licorice root, smoked horse meat, chocolate sprinkles for your toast, Indonesian curry kits, and other quirky Dutch-related things.

We need more delis of all kinds. In my area they are mostly Slavic & there is some of the same stuff as the German megadeli Brandt Meats in Mississauga, but not enough. Highland Farms also has some good deli, loads of premium Italian stuff, great, extensive seafood, & all the pig feet & $1/lb pig tails you could need. (Pig tails are fatty like ribs but roast up with crackling skin. Nevermind that their original purpose is to put a cap on a pig's, well, nevermind...)
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5528 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
lecale wrote: I think after WWII there was a shortage of men in all quarters, of all nationalities. Many single men wanted to get the heck out of Germany because it was a mess after the war & needed to be entirely rebuilt, physically, politically, & socially. They saw much more opportunity & hope in the US & Canada than in postwar Europe. People say there was so much work available in the reconstruction but politically & socially there was turmoil & that is what young Germans who were born during or close after the war fled. It would appear anti-German feelings were stronger in some areas than others (Ontario with the Orangemen cult until the '80s). Certainly it would seem less so in quite a few parts of B.C. where you had, until the past few decades, strong German neighbourhoods (e.g., Robsonstrasse in Vancouver) and lots of German shops, not to mention the German and Austrian clubs. Most have children who have intermarried so preference for the old tastes are not there any more (the Mennonites I know seem to be half or quarter breeds). Same can be said for Russian, Ukrainian, Greek and a few other European ethnicities. Ironically, there was a Japanese-Peruvian-owned supermarket that still had a section of German foods but the old owners sold out to Vietnamese. The German food importer/wholesaler (Euro Foods) sold out a few years ago as the land his warehouse sat on must have been worth lots. There have been German bakers but most have moved on and the younger business owners use their own name and recipes. The best German-style bread I've had in B.C. was in Duncan but the owners retired a couple of years ago, unfortunately, and with them their best breads. Certainly the Okanagan still has German shops (well, one meat shop, deli, butcher, German staples - bakeries are dying out) where the shop assistants must be bilingual. Even Victoria isn't as culturally British as it once was.
German ethnicity certainly was a much larger component of the U.S. demographic back then (and still is now, believed to be the largest ethnic component) than it was ever in Canada. Also helped that very senior U.S. military commanders (Eisenhower, Nimitz among others) were German in heritage.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: It would appear anti-German feelings were stronger in some areas than others (Ontario with the Orangemen cult until the '80s). Certainly it would seem less so in quite a few parts of B.C. where you had, until the past few decades, strong German neighbourhoods (e.g., Robsonstrasse in Vancouver) and lots of German shops, not to mention the German and Austrian clubs. Most have children who have intermarried so preference for the old tastes are not there any more (the Mennonites I know seem to be half or quarter breeds). Same can be said for Russian, Ukrainian, Greek and a few other European ethnicities. Ironically, there was a Japanese-Peruvian-owned supermarket that still had a section of German foods but the old owners sold out to Vietnamese. The German food importer/wholesaler (Euro Foods) sold out a few years ago as the land his warehouse sat on must have been worth lots. There have been German bakers but most have moved on and the younger business owners use their own name and recipes. The best German-style bread I've had in B.C. was in Duncan but the owners retired a couple of years ago, unfortunately, and with them their best breads. Certainly the Okanagan still has German shops (well, one meat shop, deli, butcher, German staples - bakeries are dying out) where the shop assistants must be bilingual. Even Victoria isn't as culturally British as it once was.

German ethnicity certainly was a much larger component of the U.S. demographic back then (and still is now, believed to be the largest ethnic component) than it was ever in Canada. Also helped that very senior U.S. military commanders (Eisenhower, Nimitz among others) were German in heritage.
16% of the US is German-heritage & whereas 16% are Hispanic whites & 12-13% are Black. I think the supressed culture is where some of the stupidity is coming from in the US because that German-heritage 16% did not always do the best economically & socially & other races are being lifted while now fully Americanized, madly patriotic German-heritage whites are being overlooked. That is why keeping your culture alive matters.

Traditional foods were dropped for an all-American diet of cheese pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, microwaved pretzels, potato chips, fries & all other things potato, Kraft Dinner, and other processed junk foods & the German kaffeeklatsch lives on in the form of coffee & donut shops. Germans assimilated in the US to become ultra-American, but they still recognize themselves as a group apart from others, not German, decidedly American, often low income, & politicians are playing to that. I think that political messaging is resonating in parts of Western Canada because again, there are many Germanic people but they do not see themselves as that but ultra-Canadian & they are economically threatened at the moment. If only these people had hung on to their mustard...

Dr. Oetker has some awesome bread baking recipe books & Germany has amazing drive-though bakeries where you can pick up freshly baked bread on the run. We need that here. Well, maybe not exactly, no one really has a taste for pure rye bread here so maybe not. There is a big commercial bakery called Dimpflmeier in the Etobicoke part of Toronto that may have killed any start-up independent bakers here, sadly, because bagged commercial bread is no replacement for fresh-baked. One of the more significant independent European bakeries that made everything from rye breads & challah to Middle Eastern lavash breads was Open Window & they closed a decade ago. Loblaws carries a US brand of wheat X rye breads called Rubschlager & they have their own PC wheat x rye breads too. Nothing straight rye, though. I miss Open Window's rye buns with caraway seeds on top. They used to have them at the deli that closed in downtown Kitchener (formerly called Berlin until just after WWI). I cannot find that anywhere near here now despite living in the Zehrs belt.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10169 posts
8294 upvotes
Toronto
It came from an era where the electric fridge was scarce, and the use of a cellar was common on the farm in the old country of my parents youth. This was not made by adding powdered (flavourless) gelatin - it was made from boiling bones.

This brings back horrific memories from my 80's childhood (Eastern European background), and parties I would be at with my parents. It was a cold buffet table staple. As an 80's kid who naturally loved jello (not to mention, Jello pudding pops), it was horrifying to see meat jello. I actually forgot about it for the longest time - a few years ago at a bigger family function, my aunt made some. Even while plastered, I could not bring myself to try it, lol.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
The same idea of having of meat + aspic together in a cold dish is seen in terrines & pâtés. Head cheese is to terrines as liverwurst is to pâtés. It is the tube meat version of the good stuff. Visual evidence below.

A terrine is like a meatloaf served cold, made of the same kind of mix of seasoned ground meat with a lot of fat like a meatloaf (sometimes with some chunks of better meat thrown in there), & a pâté is just an even finer ground version of the same kind of ingredients. Because of the kind of meat mixture used, gelatin renders from the coarsely cut meat & fills the cracks between it.

When you buy pâté in the store, it commonly has a layer of rubbery gelatin on the surface. In part that is because without Prague powder the meat in the pâté will turn cement gray through bluish-green when oxidized by air, but gelatin seals the air out. You have not lived until confronted with your aunt's homemade gray-green-skinned liverwurst loaf & toast at daybreak & with zero alcohol present. Breakfast of champions.

If the cooked product does not render a meaningful amount of gelatin, a gelatin layer is often added as sealant. I do not think meat + aspic is a bad combo. The aspic is usually stiff enough to have a bit of chew, halfway between dessert Jell-O & gummy bears, so it fits with the meat texture.

Chicken + pistachio loaf is a killer combo. I do not know what is up, but if you want these kinds of recipes, you have to get them in French or another continental language. For some reason they have been deemed not fit to translate into English. They are great on a charcuterie board for Christmas but here everybody is stuck on Italian salamis & other cured meats.

terrinesfront.jpg
terrinesback.jpg
pateconfit.jpg
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5528 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
lecale wrote: 16% of the US is German-heritage & whereas 16% are Hispanic whites & 12-13% are Black. I think the supressed culture is where some of the stupidity is coming from in the US because that German-heritage 16% did not always do the best economically & socially & other races are being lifted while now fully Americanized, madly patriotic German-heritage whites are being overlooked. That is why keeping your culture alive matters.
Depends on the region in the U.S.. German culture is still alive in certain areas which saw lots of German immigration and settlement, e.g., Cincinnati and Milwaukee. There's really not much affinity to European cultures except for those who immigrated relatively recently and haven't blended into the (white) melting pot. In places such as Philadelphia that hosted the oldest German settlement (Germantown, a century before U.S. independence), pretzels are popular but not something one would fine in Germany (hard, dense bready thing).
Traditional foods were dropped for an all-American diet of cheese pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, microwaved pretzels, potato chips, fries & all other things potato, Kraft Dinner, and other processed junk foods & the German kaffeeklatsch lives on in the form of coffee & donut shops.
I think that, again, is regional. There are locally-made brands of German foods but they'll only be sold locally. Not appealling to most. Lots of brands that have a German heritage. The ketchup and beans outfit (ancestor apparently from the same village/town as the ancestor of the most-recent former U.S. president), and the founders of the most-popular U.S.beer brands.
Dr. Oetker has some awesome bread baking recipe books & Germany has amazing drive-though bakeries where you can pick up freshly baked bread on the run. We need that here.
Not the culture, and no work ethic for the culture. Québéc has been trying to train bakers (boulangers, as well as patissiers) but the quitting rate after a year after qualification is almost 100%. The German (and other) bakeries in B.C. ll close or change hands, and recipes, because the children aren't interested in the work.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Depends on the region in the U.S.. German culture is still alive in certain areas which saw lots of German immigration and settlement, e.g., Cincinnati and Milwaukee. There's really not much affinity to European cultures except for those who immigrated relatively recently and haven't blended into the (white) melting pot. In places such as Philadelphia that hosted the oldest German settlement (Germantown, a century before U.S. independence), pretzels are popular but not something one would fine in Germany (hard, dense bready thing).
German culture? Modern Germany is a progressive country. Philadelphia, Cincinnati & Milwaukee were not led by progressives, but "American patriots." Likewise, figures like Trump, Sean Spicer, Steve King are 3rd generation German-Americans who fully identify as Americans. (White) melting pot, meet kettle. I would not call any of those guys "German culture," and none of them have anything positive to say about Europe. That is the impact of post-WWII America on the generations born over here.

Hard snack pretzels supplanting chewy bagel-like Brezeln is an example of how German foods have become Americanized & totally disassociated from German culture.
thriftshopper wrote: I think that, again, is regional. There are locally-made brands of German foods but they'll only be sold locally. Not appealling to most. Lots of brands that have a German heritage. The ketchup and beans outfit (ancestor apparently from the same village/town as the ancestor of the most-recent former U.S. president), and the founders of the most-popular U.S.beer brands.
Yes, many brands have a German heritage that have been fully bastardized, that is my point. Kraft Heinz makes American food. By no stretch of the imagination could you call it German food. They do not sell Kraft Dinner, Kraft peanut butter, salt-bomb Jell-O instant pistachio pudding, Jell-O gelatin, Cool Whip, or any products like them in Germany. Both the company & their customers have lost their connections to German culture.

Hamburgers are German-origin: I spent my childhood smashing Buletten in between 2 slices of 100% rye, trying to imagine that was something like the Big Mac I never ate until I was 20. Do I need to point out that the 2 dishes have almost nothing in common? They served McDonald's, not Berlin-style, burgers at the White House.
thriftshopper wrote: Not the culture, and no work ethic for the culture. Québéc has been trying to train bakers (boulangers, as well as patissiers) but the quitting rate after a year after qualification is almost 100%. The German (and other) bakeries in B.C. ll close or change hands, and recipes, because the children aren't interested in the work.
You can work as hard as you want & if there is no market for your goods at a price point that creates a profit, you have no choice but to pack it in. A small bakery cannot compete against Weston-backed ACE here. An independent outfit's costs & prices are higher & availability. convenience, & volume far lower. It is like trying to be a tailor producing bespoke clothing in this era. For all good intentions, it is impossible to go forward.

The core issue is an uneducated consumer whose palate is attuned to pure pleasure of umami, salt, sweet, & fat, with no bitterness or off flavours, who wants the texture of their food to be manageable with or without their dentures in, who does not make a living wage. The kind of person who will only eat one part of a chicken, the breast. People need more money, more education, & more food experience before this situation will change. This is a factory-food continent.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
🥨🥨🥨

Brezel I would describe as an "Easter bagel" that is garnished with salt not seeds. The name is German but the food is European out of the Church (instead of forming the dough in a loop the ends are twisted like "hands folded in prayer"). Big in Germany though. We made Brezeln for German class in high school lol.

Germans also have a fetish for pudding. n the UK, that is a fatty dense steamed cake cooked in a sealed tin. In Germany it is a mix of milk, sugar, cornstarch & traditional flavours cooked on the stovetop, & it forms a skin on top as it cools. That is of course the most important part (think George Costanza, "puddling skin singles" from the episode "The Blood.") If you are totally caught out you can grab a packet of Dr. Oetker Pudding in a Mug & there is no skin, but at least it is fresh & hot. The instant pudding here lacks the glueiness or elasticity of stovetop pudding & is loaded with salt & always chilled. it is a different animal. In Germany there are also fruit juice & cornstarch puddings that riff off of Grütze, which is stewed chunked fresh fruits, think applesauce but chunkier & with a range of fruits, even (especially?) berries. Rote Grütze is a big one. Rote is for "red," & it is all berries like raspberries, strawberries, cherries, & currants, served with a runnier vanilla or cream custard sauce on top as garnish. The processed version (Dr. Oetker makes a definitive one) is smoother, just reconstituted juice & cornstarch, with some tapioca thrown in for texture like stray frog's eggs. Take that, bubble tea.

Hazelnuts are the peanuts of Europe. They are the cheapest nut there but they are really cool looking growing on the tree like a kind of nut starburst. Europe does not do peanuts, period. Thus Nutella (Italian), not peanut butter. Peanuts are half fat by weight & hazelnuts are 2/3 fat, but for some reason they have to put a load of palm oil in there, ???. I generally regard hazelnuts & filberts with disdain except for whole nuts in the shell & the Ritter Sport chocolate bars with the whole hazelnuts in them. There is a version of Florentines (thin crisp Italian cookies made with flaked almonds & golden syrup, dipped in chocolate) that I used to make with flaked hazelnuts & sweetened condensed milk, same kind of thing. My North American bastardized version is to cut an Eatmore bar in 4, roll it into balls & bake it at 350 F on parchment until it makes thin crisps, but see, peanuts, hazelnuts, same class of thing.

Macaroni & cheese was a well-known wartime gut-filler but the version eaten in times of plenty is Käsespätzle, or cheese Spätzle. Spätzle is something between a egg noodle & a dumpling. (Germans also have a fetish for dumplings.) The recipe is like runny egg noodle dough that is forced through a grater & dropped into a pot of boiling water to cook. (You can still buy dry ones in the store.) This gives soft noodles shaped randomly & roughly like soggy Cheetos. They are usually dressed with butter & spices but you can go all out & add cheese, not necessarily cheddar, more likely Emmentaler, & top it with freshly fried onions. One of the authentic perversions is to accompany savory things like this or potato pancakes with applesauce. Here it is cheddar & ketchup, which is a chutney, which is UK origin, Indian influence.

They do not eat whipped edible oil products like Cool Whip because there is a real-dairy whipped cream fetish, & every homemaker who actually cooks owns a home cream whipper that takes cannisters of nitrous oxide, just like they have at the Dairy Queen.

There is a seed of Germanness in many of these foods but the versions we know here are horrendous compared to the from-scratch recipes of continental Europe. How is it that we know only the 100% processed versions here? We are happier to have culinary relationships with German-heritage factory owners than German-heritage home cooks?
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5528 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Back to jellied foods, here's a few vintage moulds I saw at a Salvation Army thrift shop today.... Jellied fish anyone? I imagine jellied salmon and maybe tuna was once popular. Even served at higher-end banquets and weddings!
WP_20210125_11_53_51_Pro.jpg
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Smoked salmon terrine is a classic, and much nicer than the salmon mousse you cannot even find in stores anymore.

salmonterrine.jpg
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10215 posts
5528 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
lecale wrote: Smoked salmon terrine is a classic, and much nicer than the salmon mousse you cannot even find in stores anymore.

salmonterrine.jpg
W-a-a-a-y too natural. This is what it should look like

Other horrific jelly food here
https://flashbak.com/meals-in-a-mold-th ... tin-34213/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)