Food & Drink

Chili sauce used at dim sum restaurants in Toronto

  • Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2020 7:47 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2017
80 posts
27 upvotes
L3h2w8

Chili sauce used at dim sum restaurants in Toronto

Does anyone know the brand of chili sauce all the dim places use? And where I can find them. I read somewhere that it's "Kun Choon" brand. Is this true and has anyone found it in Toronto?
15 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 4, 2007
2002 posts
296 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

That's like asking what brand of ketchup is used by all the restaurants in Toronto? Are you referring to the hot chili sauce in the squeeze bottle or are you referring to the crushed hot chili in chili oil? Have you bothered to go to an oriental supermarket like T&T to look for this chili sauce?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
45126 posts
8164 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

That's like asking what brand of ketchup is used by all the restaurants in Toronto? Are you referring to the hot chili sauce in the squeeze bottle or are you referring to the crushed hot chili in chili oil? Have you bothered to go to an oriental supermarket like T&T to look for this chili sauce?
Easy.
Heinz.

There Are preferences. For example Vietnamese restaurants almost always use the huy fong “rooster” brand of sriracha. @ least in Toronto.
Funny enough... in Texas, the vietnamese restaurants typically serve their pho with pickled jalapenos. Like the ones you get with nachos!

There is a type thats typical of dim sum restaurants.
I believe its this one

Image
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11696 posts
1582 upvotes
Yes my ex hk girlfriend told me this is the brand (I think, looks familiar but was a long time ago). Occasionally a restaurant uses a different brand and its weird. I'm looking at you rol San....your hot sauce is terrible. Not even slightly off, it's so bad.

Years ago I was able to pick it up in the Chinese grocery and there were many copycat brands with similar looking bottles.
Last edited by slowtyper on Apr 27th, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12005 posts
2614 upvotes
ledhendrix wrote: Does anyone know the brand of chili sauce all the dim places use? And where I can find them. I read somewhere that it's "Kun Choon" brand. Is this true and has anyone found it in Toronto?
Image

There are smaller sizes, but I had trouble finding them in Asian markets. Though I haven't really been looking in the past 10 years.

Personally, hot chili oil and Samyang Buldak sauce are my personal favs right now for hot sauces. I definitely prefer the Koon Chun for dim sum, but I only get dimsum at restaurants, so no need to buy my own.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2017
80 posts
27 upvotes
L3h2w8
Fraser River Rat wrote: Hi,

That's like asking what brand of ketchup is used by all the restaurants in Toronto? Are you referring to the hot chili sauce in the squeeze bottle or are you referring to the crushed hot chili in chili oil? Have you bothered to go to an oriental supermarket like T&T to look for this chili sauce?
The chili sauce that is served in the same plate as the mustard.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2017
80 posts
27 upvotes
L3h2w8
joeyjoejoe wrote: Image

There are smaller sizes, but I had trouble finding them in Asian markets. Though I haven't really been looking in the past 10 years.

Personally, hot chili oil and Samyang Buldak sauce are my personal favs right now for hot sauces. I definitely prefer the Koon Chun for dim sum, but I only get dimsum at restaurants, so no need to buy my own.
I've been on the lookout for this. Places will have other products by kun choon, but not the chili sauce. Also, if you go to the official kun choon website, you can't find the chili sauce on there. Maybe it has been discontinued?
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 21, 2017
80 posts
27 upvotes
L3h2w8
UrbanPoet wrote: Easy.
Heinz.

There Are preferences. For example Vietnamese restaurants almost always use the huy fong “rooster” brand of sriracha. @ least in Toronto.
Funny enough... in Texas, the vietnamese restaurants typically serve their pho with pickled jalapenos. Like the ones you get with nachos!

There is a type thats typical of dim sum restaurants.
I believe its this one

Image
I bought this one the other day and its real close. This jar version tastes more intense than the ones in the restaurant. Also the ones in the restaurant are is a bit more watery. I'm wondering if they dilute it with water, or add vinegar to it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4577 upvotes
Alberta
UrbanPoet wrote: Those are good ones!
Tried this one and it's not the same as the one served in the restaurants. This one is way too thick and had too many chill beans.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12005 posts
2614 upvotes
ledhendrix wrote:
I've been on the lookout for this. Places will have other products by kun choon, but not the chili sauce. Also, if you go to the official kun choon website, you can't find the chili sauce on there. Maybe it has been discontinued?
ledhendrix wrote: I bought this one the other day and its real close. This jar version tastes more intense than the ones in the restaurant. Also the ones in the restaurant are is a bit more watery. I'm wondering if they dilute it with water, or add vinegar to it.
So basically nothing has changed in 10+ years. A really old post of mine from 2011 mentioning I was looking for it in 2009:
joeyjoejoe wrote: Yes I am. Two years ago, I was looking for the brand called Koon Chun. Nobody on RFD really helped me in finding this hot sauce. Someone mentioned a Chinese market in Mississauga, but they didn't have any when I went there.

Then in another thread, someone mentioned that Koon Yick Wah Kee was very similar... but again, after checking out multiple places (including T&T), the best I found was the brand, but not the hot sauce.

I never checked out Foody Mart, as my searches were mostly on the west end... also I gave up looking two years ago.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4486 posts
2776 upvotes
Gotham
This is my favourite chili sauce, it's a combination of chili, oil and soy. It is probably not found in restaurants,

Image
Newbie
Mar 3, 2010
73 posts
12 upvotes
While we're on the topic, does anyone know the recipe for the hotsauce that Congee Queen uses?
At some point I heard it was their own recipe...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4615 posts
2708 upvotes
Avalonboy wrote: While we're on the topic, does anyone know the recipe for the hotsauce that Congee Queen uses?
At some point I heard it was their own recipe...
The Chilli Oil?

Oil....chilli...probably roasted garlic other spices etc etc. Everyone has their little game to it.

Top