• Jan 19th, 2018 9:09 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19922 posts
4504 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton

China Taxi Seatbelts Question

So I'm in Mainland China right now for business purposes. One of the strangest things I've seen is that 75% of the taxis I've used had seat belts in the back, but no receptacle where the seat belt would normally attach! I've dug deeply into the cushioning and there's just no place to plug in the back seat seatbelt! The seat belts were just dummy appendages!

So why would the car even have such rear seat belts at all? Is it just for show?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9547 posts
599 upvotes
Markham
Well, cars hardly stop at red lights in China... You think people will be worried about seatbelts?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14272 posts
8710 upvotes
Toronto
Would you want to buy a made in China car?

:facepalm:
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
Jucius Maximus wrote: So I'm in Mainland China right now for business purposes. One of the strangest things I've seen is that 75% of the taxis I've used had seat belts in the back, but no receptacle where the seat belt would normally attach! I've dug deeply into the cushioning and there's just no place to plug in the back seat seatbelt! The seat belts were just dummy appendages!

So why would the car even have such rear seat belts at all? Is it just for show?
those things are enlarged necklaces, not seat belts. Wrap it around your neck, so when the car turns, your head stays
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3820 posts
2770 upvotes
GTA
Yuck on digging deeply in the seats of Chinese taxi.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19922 posts
4504 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Thanks, I'll try not to wo ri about this one.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
631 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
koffey wrote: Would you want to buy a made in China car?

:facepalm:
So I'm in Mainland China right now for business purposes. One of the strangest things I've seen is that 75% of the taxis I've used had seat belts in the back, but no receptacle where the seat belt would normally attach! I've dug deeply into the cushioning and there's just no place to plug in the back seat seatbelt! The seat belts were just dummy appendages!

Reading comprehension is not your forte, eh? Smiling Face With Open Mouth J/k o/p is VISITING China riding in Taxis. Not buying a China car.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Jan 8, 2017
168 posts
93 upvotes
A lot of people put covers on the rear seats in their personal vehicles that completely block the seat belts too.

Passengers in the back of cars aren’t legally required to wear seatbelts. Based on the driving, you should probably have somewhere between 15 and 20 seatbelts on:p
Nov 26, 2014
51 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Everyone in the car is legally required to have seat belt on. It’s just not enforced frequently in most places as most traffic tickets in China are automatically issued by camera systems. So back seat passengers normally ignore the seat belt requirement.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1636 posts
1351 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: So I'm in Mainland China right now for business purposes. One of the strangest things I've seen is that 75% of the taxis I've used had seat belts in the back, but no receptacle where the seat belt would normally attach! I've dug deeply into the cushioning and there's just no place to plug in the back seat seatbelt! The seat belts were just dummy appendages!

Bad move.
Don't ever reach down the seat cushions especially on taxis, buses and limos.
Co worker did that and got pricked by a needle.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14272 posts
8710 upvotes
Toronto
willdacanucker wrote: Reading comprehension is not your forte, eh? Smiling Face With Open Mouth J/k o/p is VISITING China riding in Taxis. Not buying a China car.
Sigh...I know, it's called referencing...

Some people are in over their heads.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯