Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3663 posts
1480 upvotes
Mississauga

China trip - what to bring?

I am trying to decide between the Fuji x100S and Panasonic FZ1000.
Also have Panny video cam which I am bringing for sure.

I dont want to bring both cameras but I am not sure which one would be more beneficial.
Fuji small and discrete with amazing lens.
Panny is big but it has that zoom and FF sensor and can double as a video cam.

Help me decide.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14802 posts
7732 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Why don't you forget about the Panny video cam and bring both the x100S and the FZ1000 since the FZ1000 can function as a video camera?

The x100S will allow you to get shots without being noticed too much as the camera is small while FZ1000 gives you the flexibility for a variety of situations.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4512 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Panny is big but it has that zoom and FF sensor and can double as a video cam.
FF = Full Frame?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3663 posts
1480 upvotes
Mississauga
craftsman wrote: Why don't you forget about the Panny video cam and bring both the x100S and the FZ1000 since the FZ1000 can function as a video camera?

The x100S will allow you to get shots without being noticed too much as the camera is small while FZ1000 gives you the flexibility for a variety of situations.
Never used video mode so I am not very comfortable using it. Dont want to spoil video by not having the proper setup etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1238 posts
904 upvotes
Montreal
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Yes.
No no no no the FZ1000 is far from FF.

It is an 1 inch sensor, much smaller than X100.

I would personally bring the X100S but only because I never take landscape.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4512 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
aerok wrote:
No no no no the FZ1000 is far from FF.

It is an 1 inch sensor, much smaller than X100.

I would personally bring the X100S but only because I never take landscape.
Yeah that's what a thought... I don't know if a lot of these bridge cameras are ever full frame. At most, probably APSC or m43... The ones I've had were always smaller sensors.

Just take the x100s and the video camera if it's a good one... the Fuji is discrete and easy to carry.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3551 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: I am trying to decide between the Fuji x100S and Panasonic FZ1000.
Also have Panny video cam which I am bringing for sure.

I dont want to bring both cameras but I am not sure which one would be more beneficial.
Fuji small and discrete with amazing lens.
Panny is big but it has that zoom and FF sensor and can double as a video cam.

Help me decide.
seems like your trip would be more video -entric as you are very set on bringing your video cam. i would just bring the small fuji since it would be more for occasional photos.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3663 posts
1480 upvotes
Mississauga
MoonDoggy wrote: seems like your trip would be more video -entric as you are very set on bringing your video cam. i would just bring the small fuji since it would be more for occasional photos.
Not really. I like to do both. I always make a BR video from all the pics and video shot during my trips. There are things that you cannot capture in a photo and vice versa.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3551 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Not really. I like to do both. I always make a BR video from all the pics and video shot during my trips. There are things that you cannot capture in a photo and vice versa.
that's fair. personally, i usually go small with camera equipment when it comes to travel. bring less and deal with what you have rather than having the stress to decide which camera/lense to take the photo/video with.

i would still vote for fuji/panny video combo
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4512 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
Given that FZ1000 isn't a full frame sensor like originally thought, now the only advantage is its zoom capabilities, which eclipse that of the Fuji's fixed medium lens equivalent.

So really, you'll have to ask yourself a few questions on what kinds of shooting you want to do. If it's going to be a lot of street photography, or you know you can physically walk closer to your subject, then bring the Fuji.

If you know you're going to be shooting places that you'll need the zoom for because you can't get close to your subject then that kind of eliminates the Fuji. Although this seems like a super specialized use case, and in some instances maybe you can live with crops off the Fuji.

Are you doing a lot of walking? What bag will you be bringing, and can you see yourself lugging around a video camera and a bigger bridge camera in your travels? What about those times when you just want to go out quickly and can't be bothered with bringing your camera bag... The Fuji wins in this case.

Finally, what's the low light performance difference between the Panny and Fuji? Maybe test that before you go and take that into consideration as I would imagine there would be some good opportunities for night shots in China's big cities.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3663 posts
1480 upvotes
Mississauga
M1GOmigs wrote: Given that FZ1000 isn't a full frame sensor like originally thought, now the only advantage is its zoom capabilities, which eclipse that of the Fuji's fixed medium lens equivalent.

So really, you'll have to ask yourself a few questions on what kinds of shooting you want to do. If it's going to be a lot of street photography, or you know you can physically walk closer to your subject, then bring the Fuji.

If you know you're going to be shooting places that you'll need the zoom for because you can't get close to your subject then that kind of eliminates the Fuji. Although this seems like a super specialized use case, and in some instances maybe you can live with crops off the Fuji.

Are you doing a lot of walking? What bag will you be bringing, and can you see yourself lugging around a video camera and a bigger bridge camera in your travels? What about those times when you just want to go out quickly and can't be bothered with bringing your camera bag... The Fuji wins in this case.

Finally, what's the low light performance difference between the Panny and Fuji? Maybe test that before you go and take that into consideration as I would imagine there would be some good opportunities for night shots in China's big cities.
Its an organized tour / sight seeing trip and it will be a bit of everything.
Both cameras give amazing results and dont weight a ton so I dont mind carrying both but I dont want to, to be honest.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21301 posts
23686 upvotes
Toronto
some other tips here

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/trav ... phone.html

"The Chinese government does a fairly thorough job censoring websites and traffic from sources it deems potentially unsavory or damaging to the ruling Communist Party. Say goodbye to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, any Google-related services (including Gmail), and even (gasp!) The New York Times."
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.