• Apr 11th, 2019 3:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4474 posts
4000 upvotes
Toronto

Chinese (Aliexpress, etc.) orders returned to sellers due to Canada Post strike

I ordered some things around 11/11 from Aliexpress and always use ePacket (which is about the same as Canada Post expedited shipping). I knew things will take a lot longer due to the Canada Post strike and it'll just pile up. I was surprised to hear now that Canada Post was just refusing foreign shipments entirely (see HERE). I recall in the past, they just things pile up in shipping containers.

So now one of my sellers emailed me to say, "The post office of your country is not working because the strike of your country. So ePacket can not send your package now, your package return back to us. For now, we can send you the package via Aliexpress Standard shipping. Is that ok?"

However, I think that "Aliexpress Standard shipping" (ie. China Post) will just return it to the sender as well, if Canada Post isn't accepting items via *any* method. Or if they do allow non-expedited items to sit in containers, it'll be many, many, many months before I get it, so Aliexpress buyer protections will have long expired. It'll be unreasonable to ask the seller to hold onto it for a few months and resend it, so I'm thinking probably the best thing to do is try to cancel and wait until the backlog is gone before reordering? I saved maybe 10% over normal pricing due to 11/11, but it's not a big deal to pay normal pricing later and have some certainty about shipping times and buyer protection.

Any opinions or other options you can think of?

Wanted to start a separate thread on this since not just limited to Aliexpress and likely a lot of other people in the same boat.

UPDATE 12/5: the seller has told me that China EMS is now accepting epacket shipping to Canada again, so he'll resend it. We had mutually agreed to hold off and wait-and-see for a few days.

UPDATE 12/19: Another update to original post: item that was resent via ePacket arrived. It only took eight days from when the seller resent it, which--ironically--is faster than normal for ePacket/expedited. My other 11/11 items (mix of ePacket and also free shipping) have been arriving as well.
Last edited by jm1 on Dec 21st, 2018 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
73 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5004 posts
991 upvotes
rural ontario
Canada Post union rejected latest offer. Does not sound like the strike will be over anytime soon unless the government legislates something.

From my Aliexpress orders "Aliexpress Standard shipping" could be anything. I've gotten DHL (next day!) or china post from different vendors.
Sep 28, 2017
677 posts
453 upvotes
the government should just put on their big boy pants and stop catering to their demands and threaten to replace those who are trouble makers starting these strikes.

they do this quite a bit now.. and of course the government caves to their demands due to the complaints of us. it should be like any other job...

if you don't like it then find something else, if you stir the pot and cause others to suffer then you need to go and someone who really wants to work can have your job and slap you in the face on the way out.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5815 posts
7423 upvotes
They currently have 500 to 600 backlog of trailers combined in both Toronto and Vancouver processing center. Each trailer contains at least 2500 parcels and number of backlogged trailers will continue to grow every day. I really can't imagine what will happen to Black Friday and CyberMonday.
Jun 6, 2007
501 posts
193 upvotes
CAPRICA
Ali express standard shipping is their own shipping system, they use Canada Post as last mile but its usually considered a local express post, so I think you don't have much to worry about

If you use regular shipping you know it'll get stuck at customs for 3 months anyway
Nov 10, 2017
97 posts
44 upvotes
Sounds like the seller is not being honest with you.

Canada Post does not return mail/parcels just because they are on rotating strikes.

I know, I work for Canada Post.

The mail and parcels just get backed up during strikes. Never do they return mail, foreign or local, because of a strike.

It sounds like the seller did not ship your item and used the excuse that CPC is on strike.

It's not a smart excuse because CPC isnt even on a full strike. It's just a few cities each day.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12470 posts
15756 upvotes
Vancouver
kiss0136 wrote: Sounds like the seller is not being honest with you.

Canada Post does not return mail/parcels just because they are on rotating strikes.

I know, I work for Canada Post.

Nobody said Canada Post was returning anything to overseas shippers. Canada Post has asked foreign postal services to stop sending stuff here for now. China Post can do what it likes with that request—ignore it, hold Canada-bound stuff in storage, or return it to the shipper. It sounds like returning it to the shipper is what China Post is doing. Canada Post has no control over this.
Nov 10, 2017
97 posts
44 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Nobody said Canada Post was returning anything to overseas shippers.
Actually....
jm1 wrote: ...I ordered some things ..... I was surprised to hear now that Canada Post was just refusing foreign shipments entirely see HERE. I recall in the past, they just things pile up in shipping containers.

So now one of my sellers emailed me to say, "The post office of your country is not working because the strike of your country. So ePacket can not send your package now, your package return back to us...."
Like I said, Canada Post does not return to sender (or "refuse") mail/parcels, whether foreign or local.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
The sellers' English on Aliexpress isn't all that great, what they probably mean is that their local shipping/logistics/whatever company is saying 'hey, Canada is asking us to not send anything to them', so now the seller decides to cancel the order as they don't want to have a pile of unshipped items sitting around in their facility.

I just experienced something similar. A few days after I ordered an item, a seller contacted me, mentioned the Canada Post strike, and gave me the option to cancel or wait for shipping, so I opted to cancel. I can always reorder later. Either way I'm waiting lol.

I wonder if any of the postal services in other countries is actually going to halt shipments to Canada. Would the US want Canada-bound mail piling up in their facilities?
Jan 3, 2015
165 posts
120 upvotes
Delta, BC
Any order Ive made with Aliexpress Standard shipping has arrived with a Canada Post tracked expedited parcel label and around 2 weeks.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
2327 posts
2577 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
peytonpeanut2017 wrote: the government should just put on their big boy pants and stop catering to their demands and threaten to replace those who are trouble makers starting these strikes.

they do this quite a bit now.. and of course the government caves to their demands due to the complaints of us. it should be like any other job...

if you don't like it then find something else, if you stir the pot and cause others to suffer then you need to go and someone who really wants to work can have your job and slap you in the face on the way out.
Agreed, this strike thing is pissing me off. I ordered so many things in the past month and only 1 item came. CP is our main mail courier, it is always supposed to be in function. Whoever from wherever is starting this strike needs to get fired and let other people work that need or don't have a job or be replaced.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Jul 6, 2017
150 posts
95 upvotes
Most common methods used by "aliexpress standard shipping" will be affected by this, except for UBI Smart Parcel (16 digit tracking numbers) which flies things in and then reships them as domestic expedited parcels (via Canada Post).

You and the seller can't choose which method aliexpress standard will use, but if ali are smart they'll shift everything to ubi for now.
Sep 28, 2017
677 posts
453 upvotes
it's just plain stupid .... it's supposed to be a canadian ran company my guess by the government. but i hear it's a privately owned and operated entity... so then just strip them of the canadian name and just have whomever post instead. this is incredibly stupid the government lets this happen... and lately they have been striking it seems like every 3 months.

i don't care if it's a unionized job. stuff that deals with everyday life like police, fire, ambulance/hospital, utilities and mail shouldn't be unionized and should be forceable everyday open and operating... not where they have people that tell you oh today you don't work because jim and bob think they aren't paid or treated fairly so drop what you are doing and go home.

it should be if you can't keep up or complete the task then get the F out and someone else that's looking for work and will work gets your position. necessity stuff shouldn't be allowed to strike.... or at least you should still have to work while the higher ups are negotiating and even then no matter the outcome you work.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1433 posts
743 upvotes
If you're on strike and not at work, how would you know?

Even expedited from Montreal to Toronto has been 7 business days and counting... should start doing private companies only...
kiss0136 wrote: Actually....

Like I said, Canada Post does not return to sender (or "refuse") mail/parcels, whether foreign or local.
Dec 3, 2010
12 posts
3 upvotes
I'm waiting for my stupid packet to arrive and I find out it's in some trailer somewhere! The government needs to step in and tell the greedy Canada Post Corporation to give its workers a fair contract. Then the madness can end and I'll finally get my earbuds!(I'm tired of listening to my tiny speaker on my cellphone)
Dec 3, 2010
12 posts
3 upvotes
All countries are being told to stop sending stuff to Canada.
Dec 24, 2005
309 posts
217 upvotes
Entitled much? Have you all actually looked into why they're striking? Or just thinking about how it affects you.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4453 posts
3467 upvotes
Vancouver
neilc6 wrote: Any order Ive made with Aliexpress Standard shipping has arrived with a Canada Post tracked expedited parcel label and around 2 weeks.
Vancouver is operating normally, the postal backlog is largely in the east.
Nov 26, 2018
1 posts
5 upvotes
TySloth wrote: Entitled much? Have you all actually looked into why they're striking? Or just thinking about how it affects you.
When an industry essential extorts, disrupts, and costs millions of dollars to a nation of 30+ million, and grievance they have is irrelevant. It’s plain wrong. How many damn strikes do we have to go through? If they don’t get what they want, they extort the country.
Time to scrap the entire lot of them. Contract mail delivery to companies that can get the job done without being manipulated by their employees.

Going on strike in November is about as low as it gets. It just proves Unions are now counter productive and a thing of the past. They put the Union first and their workers and the entire country a far second.

I say they cut their wages, and force out the union. What do you want more, a raise or a job?