• Aug 3rd, 2020 7:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1564 posts
43 upvotes
usa

Chinese bbq chicken wings

Does anyone know how to the recipe for bbq chicken wings you can get from Chinese bbq shops? I tried searching online, its different.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9865 posts
2277 upvotes
Toronto
gta1216 wrote: Does anyone know how to the recipe for bbq chicken wings you can get from Chinese bbq shops? I tried searching online, its different.
The Char Siu honey glazed bbq wings you're referring to?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1564 posts
43 upvotes
usa
4flava wrote: The Char Siu honey glazed bbq wings you're referring to?
I'm not sure if it's char siu marinade. The chicken wings are reddish orange in colour, with a little of honey glaze. The skin is not crispy nor tender, in fact, it's a bit chewy.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Same marinade as the char sui pork. I’m pretty sure anyway. Used to work in a kitchen and the see-fu would dunk it in e same bucket of marinade.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1564 posts
43 upvotes
usa
I just marinated a small batch of pork with char siu sauce. Should of saved some fir the wings.

Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade char siu sauce? I prefer char siu sauce by Amoy Food, but haven't seen it fir many years already. I had to get Lee Kum Kee's which I don't like as much. All other Chinese sauce I prefer LKK except char siu sauce.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
gta1216 wrote: Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade char siu sauce?
The real one has like 30 ingredients. It's absolutely delicious if you want to make it, but you're gonna spend like $100 in ingredients and have enough for like 500lbs.
Even if you don't do a restaurant quantity, you're still gonna spend like $50 due to the number of things.

https://thetakeout.com/recipe-char-siu- ... 1829157660

That's kinda close to the restaurant recipe we used, but
1) We didn't use ginger.
2) We used like 4x the sugar
3) Which was also white and not brown
4) We used lemons
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Just put a shit load of five spice powder and you are half way there.

I really enjoy this channel.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
4flava wrote: The Char Siu honey glazed bbq wings you're referring to?
I don’t think there’s any honey lol. Too expensive. More like sugar.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13762 posts
3123 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Supercooled wrote: Just put a shit load of five spice powder and you are half way there.

Method is the same as cooking a rack of ribs... just the cooking time, temp and spices are different.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Just put a shit load of five spice powder and you are half way there.
Yeah that's 100% wrong.
They're only really good if you want white washed recipes.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1564 posts
43 upvotes
usa
Supercooled wrote: I don’t think there’s any honey lol. Too expensive. More like sugar.
I use maltose to make my char siu. It's a pain to scoop it out of the container
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
gta1216 wrote: I use maltose to make my char siu. It's a pain to scoop it out of the container
Steam it. Makes it a bit easier.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1564 posts
43 upvotes
usa
death_hawk wrote: Steam it. Makes it a bit easier.
The container is plastic. I'm not sure if it's safe to steam.

I scoop it out and place inside a glass bowl and sit it inside hot water.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
gta1216 wrote: The container is plastic. I'm not sure if it's safe to steam.
We steamed them all the time at work.
White container with an orange lid.