Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1876 posts
365 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
AA0913 wrote: $280 phone,
$13 shipping DHL
$24 customs/duty (item value is $58)

so its a bit more than what I wanted to spend, honestly, but I got the reassurance that its genuine THL, and not a knock off of a knock off, and I suppose you can do free shipping but it would take a bit longer to get here but at least no customs/duty to pay on it (from my experience)

however from using the unit, i think spending that extra $20-$40 on a handset at this price point goes a long way.
where did you end up ordering from?

Any reason you didn't use DealXtreme?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
82 upvotes
Dealextreme typically takes a few more days from placing order to it actually being processed. (6-10 days generally).. so this is even before the distributor is alerted to ship the item.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Imagingd ... 2305144028

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 48362.html

Imaging Dragon was helpful and English communication is good.. which can sometimes be difficult with other vendors.

Also compared to others like ChinaVasion, they actually had the unit instock.. new releases in China works in this weird batch release selling pattern (mi4) i guess to keep everything "hot and new" or just keep demand up.. .

The THL 5000 has only been out for 10 days or so, and not many other ali-express vendors actually had the unit instock, opposed to listing the unit available for Sale or PreSale in some cases.

Tell them Andrew sent you, they may be able to work something out.
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1283 posts
71 upvotes
garyhudson wrote: it's this, Mediatek's chips are not for true performance like the 800 series Snapdragons or Tegras. They give you a "true octacore" CPU solution which you can think of is a few Intel i3s strapped together.

Not sure if serious or trolling. There is not a single arm soc right now or in the near future that is even remotely comparable to the i3, and rightfully so given the power envelope.

To compare a mediatek to a few i3s together is one of the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard.
Is it more powerful than the latest i7 or Xeon? Probably not. Is it enough to run Android and most things you can throw at it? Of course.
Seriously?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1876 posts
365 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
AA0913 wrote: Dealextreme typically takes a few more days from placing order to it actually being processed. (6-10 days generally).. so this is even before the distributor is alerted to ship the item.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Imagingd ... 2305144028

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 48362.html

Imaging Dragon was helpful and English communication is good.. which can sometimes be difficult with other vendors.

Also compared to others like ChinaVasion, they actually had the unit instock.. new releases in China works in this weird batch release selling pattern (mi4) i guess to keep everything "hot and new" or just keep demand up.. .

The THL 5000 has only been out for 10 days or so, and not many other ali-express vendors actually had the unit instock, opposed to listing the unit available for Sale or PreSale in some cases.

Tell them Andrew sent you, they may be able to work something out.
thanks for the info!
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1900 posts
349 upvotes
Kitchener
Apart from the 1+1, which of these Chinese Phones work on Wind/Mobi?
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
AA0913 wrote: thanks for the clarification! uh, in my vintage memory, it sounds like a few celerons compared to a real p4. hahah kaboom!

i think any Chinese phone at the > $300 mark will be a very safe bet. Those will all be flagship phones at that price-point...

but with a new handset coming out every other month, how long would ppl hang on to them? i was still going to use my iPhone 5 and already had it in wheelchair status with the Mophie pack... then the mainboard went out and down this Chinese-Phone rabbit-hole, i went!
For normal people, chinese phones could be very good deals, but for us RFDers, who see phone deals every other day, why not get a phone in Canada? An N4 can be had for $175, Moto G for $150 etc?
AA0913 wrote: From what I read, it appears Mediatek scores lower in benchmarks, run cooler and use less battery, but Qualcomm/Tegra are usually scoring faster, at the expense of batt/heat and better 3d performance.

its 6-of-one/half-dozen of another for my purposes but hopefully clocked up at 2gig and having 8 cores, should give it a run for the money.
What I meant was that Mediatek had higher power consumption for the same performance, eg if both scored 25k in antutu, the qualcomm/tegra would use less power.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
478 upvotes
MONTR
zijin_cheng wrote: For normal people, chinese phones could be very good deals, but for us RFDers, who see phone deals every other day, why not get a phone in Canada? An N4 can be had for $175, Moto G for $150 etc?

What I meant was that Mediatek had higher power consumption for the same performance, eg if both scored 25k in antutu, the qualcomm/tegra would use less power.
those phones are not baller phones and no bragging rights.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
442 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
zijin_cheng wrote: ...

Interesting. So this should scale up as performance improves?
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
nomdesplumes wrote: those phones are not baller phones and no bragging rights.
Lol. I think you are referring to this when you mean baller:

[IMG]http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content ... u_002.jpeg[/IMG]
loserga wrote: Interesting. So this should scale up as performance improves?
I think so. Unless mediatek's newer solutions close that gap.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
82 upvotes
I have had the worst WORST case of strep throat Ever, but here is my TEXT review...

again, if YOU MUST NEED LTE, this handset is not for you.. in the GTA/North and downtown I have never felt 3g was too slow ever, and I never turned on LTE on my iPhone5 cuz, well I wanted it to last all day, but anyway, this is my first stab at Android on a phone as a daily driver..

THL 5000 Review.

I have a few Android powered devices. A 2012 Nexus 7, a Galaxy Tab 3, and a fully operational HP Touchpad on Ice Cream Sandwich. For a phone, however, I have been using an iPhone of some iteration since 2009. I never found Android to be a stable, consistent and responsive platform to be used daily, as a phone.

My iPhone5 changed that when it failed due to repeated charging (due to an utterly pathetic battery), and damaged the system board (u2 ic failure, most likely).

Looking for an alternative, but never being one to care for the OMG YOU have that most fastest phone!!?!? in the last 3 years, I can say that there is no perfect phone. Some are thinner, faster, more responsive, larger screen etc, but recognizing these trade-offs, I picked up the THL 5000 from first-tier vendor: IMAGING DRAGON, on Ali Express.

[IMG]https://yt3.ggpht.com/-UkB4KMq3nRM/AAAA ... /photo.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1197502

NOTE: I chose IMAGING DRAGON due to their fast processing time, excellent English communication and prompt response to all my email concerns. By the time other vendors would be processing the order (7-10 days), I already had my phone, in my hand and it was professionally packaged, all items as described, in NEW condition, no stuck/dead pixels! I know my next handset will be from them if I get bored of the THL 5000.

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/znEiy ... p0=s592-no[/IMG]

I have been called a power-user… I did a lot of photo and video editing/authoring on the iPhone and the battery never satisfied me. My daily routine would consist of having WAZE GPS running while STREAMING podcasts on my commute to work and have it paired to my car via Bluetooth. As a comparison, my iPhone would be at 84% when I got to work. The same apps on a Samsung S3 on kitkat was at 47%. The THL 5000 is at a whopping 93% using the same apps and same run time!

Screen
5 inch
441 PPI
Screen Resolution 1,920 x 1,080 pixels
Display Technology FHD
Ambient Light Sensor
Multi Touch
Proximity Sensor

The THL has a vibrant 1920x1088 441dpi IPS screen. It looks great at every angle and its resolution bests retina resolution displays from iPhone. I have never had a problem with any lines or stuck pixels! no yellow banding etc. Its a great display and I don’t see any ghosting or weird artifacts etc.

The Camera
f1.8 Exmor RS Sony IMX135 13mp 5-element lens assy

A Sony sourced IMX135 imaging sensor provides excellent image capturing and video. It does 1080p video capture and in varying light conditions has good sensitivity. I impulsively set all the settings in the camera as the iPhone doesn’t have any settings but after extensive testing, I found that the night-mode works well for low-light conditions and automode for everything else. The Camera application is decent and has quite a few options but again, they mainly don’t need to be adjusted much as the hardware works it out for you. I have some picture samples but they seem to have been compressed a bit once sent/hosted.
The front camera deserves mention as it is one of the first phone cameras that has recognized the whole ‘selfie’ is now a ‘thing’, and brings an 88-degree wide-angle lens. This is awesome and I bet this is going to be on every phone going forward. Pics with a significant other can now also capture the background and no longer do you need to stretch your arm to squeeze the other face in the shot. There isn’t any odd distortions and facial features aren’t out of proportion. Both cameras work great and are worth the price-alone just to be a memory-capturing companion.

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hTuE ... 190446.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9zKT ... 191105.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0HcS ... 123828.jpg[/IMG]

Build Quality
Phone Depth 8.9 mm
Weight 146 grams
Dimensions 144.2 mm x 70.4 mm x 8.9 mm

The handset is on-par with the latest flagship handsets that have a removable backplate. The finish on the back is quite resistant to finger prints as it has a textured finish thats really makes the shiny smooth backing of the Galaxy s3/s4 seem dated. There are no odd creaks or squeaking from squeezing the phone or removing the backplate. The screen is incredibly smooth and is claimed to be made from the 3rd version of twice-tempered Gorilla Glass from Corning. It feels upscale with a black-chrome band around the perimeter of boarder adding to a classy exterior. Seeing as the design is just a triangle with rounded corners, I can see THL is trying to make the best out of an otherwise very familiar design that the Android mobile-device market has seen re-hashed all around.

Battery
Anaode Lithium Polymer
[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7JJw ... -47-08.png[/IMG]

5000mAh. Thats 1300mAh shy of my HP touchpad and 1000mAh more than my 7” Galaxy Tab 3. The battery is no joke on this thing but I don’t use my phone heavy enough to crush it in the 16 hrs that I am awake/day. I use high-draw applications like the camera, some video watching and the podcast streaming/GPS/Bluetooth killer combo, I think I could get up to 2 days use from this. The Camera and gallery do use quite a bit of battery as does powering the screen. Standby if you are doing web and occasional message/web browsing, could probably see a full 3 days without an issue. I do turn off the handset for 5 hours at night while charging. Screenshots are attached but I think the real energy hog is the camera, screen and gps... similar to all android devices.. and possibly the octa-core chipset when all 8 cores are running full-tilt.

Processor
MT6592, 2.0ghz, 2gig RAM

The octacore chipset does show some lag but its seldom and when it does its only noticeable because the handset is just so responsive everywhere else. I have quite enjoyed using it daily for web-browsing and various apps and mainly because of the speed of the MT6592 Octa-core chipset. Its smooth and fast and I have had no complaints. I guess its 8 cores do get a bit thirsty because its clocked at its upper limit being 2.0ghz, but the CPU governor does try to keep things in control and only ramps up when needed. It has to get its power from somewhere and the battery, albeit huge, is just like strapping on a bigger fuel tank to an engine with more cylinders. Its fast and I haven’t had any FC for apps due to heat or other bugs.

Connectivity
Wifi connects quickly and has considerable range. I have never had any problems with signal drops and get the same range as my iPhone5 and more range than my Galaxy S3 or Nexus 7. Speed is very fast.
Same can be said for GPS and bluetooth connections and even simultaneous connections don’t do any weird things like what I have heard from other Chinese handsets. (dropped connections, GPS takes long to lock-on target etc)
Compass is accurate.
Networks
3G (HSDPA/CDMA)
Edge/2G (GSM/GPRS)
CDMA Networks

850 MHz
2100 MHz
GSM Networks

850 MHz
900 MHz
1800 MHz
1900 MHz

Handset speaker is decently loud and the quality is good. Earpiece is also decent, but not as full bodied sounding as the iPhone.

Android Extras
KitKat 4.4.2
The camera app mentioned is full featured, having various scene modes, exposure and zoom settings. The app also allows for pretty extensive editing of the picture after its shot, which is pretty good as far as android camera apps go. The LG G2 had the same sensor but a completely over-simplified app that made it difficult to capture pictures in anything else but ideal light. The THL 5000 doens’t have this problem!

Smart Gestures

Drawing or tapping the screen can unlock or start different apps. Its an OK gimmick, but I can see it being useful as the swipe-up to unlock can be handy or drawing ‘c’ to launch the camera, in saving a second or two.

OK GOOGLE is also enabled full time and can be initiated anytime the handset is unlocked.

Both of these features are on all the time and probably contribute to significant battery use, but I predict 3% over 8hrs of standby when the phone is just idle.

OTG is a nice-to-have that could come in handy for copying stuff to/from a memory stick, or simply connecting a mouse for… well I am not sure why I would do this but I guess I could use my monster 5000mah battery to charge my wife’s iPhone in a pinch…

Extras in the Box

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iQ9_ ... 001511.jpg[/IMG]
PICTURE TAKEN WITH GALAXY S3

Imaging Dragon included some cool extras such as the OTG adapter/keychain thing as well as a flip-case and a nicer silicone case. First, the silicone case is top-shelf. Its not some Dollar-store, I got 3 for $1 type of case. It has a crystal clear for the front half that boarders the frame of the phone and the rear half of the same silicone is frosted. It allows the black-chrome bezel to be seen through its crystal clear protective boarder. Its also not made of that crap silicone that attracts pocket-lint like a magnet. Its smart looking and perfect fitting and really works with the phone for days you may not want to go out naked! I have not ever had an iPhone case that had worked so well WITH the phone.
Now, the flip-case uses a substitute backing cover and I guess would be nice if I carried my phone in a purse…

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gMq0 ... 001410.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SvzQ ... 001453.jpg[/IMG]

16gig Micro SD is genuine Sandisk and thats nice to know as its not some off-brand that could damage the phone or lose your data or cause problems down the road.

Overall

The THL 5000 is a good phone to move to if 4g data is not your main concern. Rogers in Toronto is pretty fast as 3g and coverage is better as well. I think the iPhone days are numbered and Android handsets are going to feel this Chinese wave of phones now with OnePlus One and Xiaomi. These new handsets are like the Korean flip-phones of the early pre-iPhone era - smart, well-executed and well packaged hardware that is capable and powerful enough to be no longer a lesser product but a competitive adversary for the bigger players in the market. Its going to hit like a ping-pong powerhouse from China, fast, quick and you won’t even know its coming until its already passed you - with not much of a warning-shot at all.
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Aug 15, 2012
339 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been thinking about getting the 16GB Xiaomi Mi 3 for around $250 (13999 INR). I've got relatives in India who can get it for me from Flipkart. I know it'll work on Rogers/Bell/Telus (and Fido, Koodo and all the smaller companies that use Robelus infrastructure). Still trying to justify it to myself. It doesn't have 4G/LTE and it doesn't have AWS bands... no custom ROMs because Xiaomi has yet to release the phone's kernel source code... no expandable storage... video quality sucks (though I'm told it's a software issue, not a hardware one). But its price in India is much cheaper than what a brand new 16GB Nexus 5 sells for globally (before you tell me to buy from Kijiji or something--hell no: been there, done that and got a blacklisted phone; I'm only gonna buy from a carrier/the manufacturer itself/a reputable brick & mortar store from now on). I'll be buying straight from Xiaomi through Flipkart, not some random third-party seller.

Also, the Xiaomi security flaw reports have been proven false, so that isn't a problem anymore. Really, really tempted to get it. I know it's probably best for me to wait for the Nexus 5 to go down in price and get it when it's around $250 (that is, if it will actually drop that low in price ever) because it's supported by Google and will receive more updates than the Mi 3, but... I don't want to wait till September. Also, the Nexus 5's camera sucks which is kind of a deal breaker for me (it's been made better through updates).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
82 upvotes
sk2003 wrote: I've been thinking about getting the 16GB Xiaomi Mi 3 for around $250 (13999 INR). I've got relatives in India who can get it for me from Flipkart. I know it'll work on Rogers/Bell/Telus (and Fido, Koodo and all the smaller companies that use Robelus infrastructure). Still trying to justify it to myself. It doesn't have 4G/LTE and it doesn't have AWS bands... no custom ROMs because Xiaomi has yet to release the phone's kernel source code... no expandable storage... video quality sucks (though I'm told it's a software issue, not a hardware one). But its price in India is much cheaper than what a brand new 16GB Nexus 5 sells for globally (before you tell me to buy from Kijiji or something--hell no: been there, done that and got a blacklisted phone; I'm only gonna buy from a carrier/the manufacturer itself/a reputable brick & mortar store from now on). I'll be buying straight from Xiaomi through Flipkart, not some random third-party seller.

Also, the Xiaomi security flaw reports have been proven false, so that isn't a problem anymore. Really, really tempted to get it. I know it's probably best for me to wait for the Nexus 5 to go down in price and get it when it's around $250 (that is, if it will actually drop that low in price ever) because it's supported by Google and will receive more updates than the Mi 3, but... I don't want to wait till September. Also, the Nexus 5's camera sucks which is kind of a deal breaker for me (it's been made better through updates).
All reviews of the Xiaomi are positive. I wouldn't be too hot about firmware upgrades in the Android world. My Nexus 7 has more bugs now than when it was out of the box and the functionality isn't that much better. Its been thru a few Official Android issued updates. The S3 I have is barely usable, but only if you have another battery on you at all times...

They both gained what? kitkat? it added maybe OK GOOGLE, which i turned off anyway. This is the major issue with Android and trying to support so many different hardware deployments and why Android adoption will always be so fragmented in updates.

I know so many people are hot about vanilla Nexus devices but I don't get the hype. A Nexus 5 on Kitkat can hardly web-browse and charge at the same time before Thermal Warning and shuts itself down. Here is 4.4.4 and Nexus 5 issues:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/08/01 ... nth-later/
Looks like Nexus tried to address the thermal warning by having the device on perpetual trickle charge......

For android stuff, if you want a reliable device, I would just look for the device that supports what you are looking for out-of-the-box and don't look for any future functionality unless you want to sacrifice stability and battery life. iPhones don't do much better here for unexpected issues, but the scope of problems is much narrower.

--BikeSnobNYC
Jan 15, 2006
456 posts
69 upvotes
Just took the plunge and ordered the Doogee 310. It will be my first Chinese phone.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
AA0913 wrote: All reviews of the Xiaomi are positive. I wouldn't be too hot about firmware upgrades in the Android world. My Nexus 7 has more bugs now than when it was out of the box and the functionality isn't that much better. Its been thru a few Official Android issued updates. The S3 I have is barely usable, but only if you have another battery on you at all times...

They both gained what? kitkat? it added maybe OK GOOGLE, which i turned off anyway. This is the major issue with Android and trying to support so many different hardware deployments and why Android adoption will always be so fragmented in updates.

I know so many people are hot about vanilla Nexus devices but I don't get the hype. A Nexus 5 on Kitkat can hardly web-browse and charge at the same time before Thermal Warning and shuts itself down. Here is 4.4.4 and Nexus 5 issues:
Looks like Nexus tried to address the thermal warning by having the device on perpetual trickle charge......

For android stuff, if you want a reliable device, I would just look for the device that supports what you are looking for out-of-the-box and don't look for any future functionality unless you want to sacrifice stability and battery life. iPhones don't do much better here for unexpected issues, but the scope of problems is much narrower.
Thanks for the review OP, great detail, and those photos look really good! Just try not to creep out on little asian kids at shopping centers (unless those are yours :) ) when testing the camera. Also, that battery screenshot you posted, what was the screen on time?
troso wrote: Just took the plunge and ordered the Doogee 310. It will be my first Chinese phone.
Congrats. Not trying to poop on your parade, but the SoC used, the MTK6582 is roughly equivalent to the Tegra 3 in CPU power (Nexus 7 2012, Transformer tablets, Ouya, etc), but it uses a Mali MP2 Graphics unit, which will be able to handle basic games, nothing complicated like Modern Combat or Real Racing.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
zijin_cheng wrote: Thanks for the review OP, great detail, and those photos look really good! Just try not to creep out on little asian kids at shopping centers (unless those are yours :) ) when testing the camera. Also, that battery screenshot you posted, what was the screen on time?

Congrats. Not trying to poop on your parade, but the SoC used, the MTK6582 is roughly equivalent to the Tegra 3 in CPU power (Nexus 7 2012, Transformer tablets, Ouya, etc), but it uses a Mali MP2 Graphics unit, which will be able to handle basic games, nothing complicated like Modern Combat or Real Racing.
If only he went for something with the MTK6589T, a bit better power. 6582s are actually quite rare, given how much 6589T phones are out there.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
82 upvotes
yeah the screen time is basically the awake/screen on bar at the bottom of the graph.. at least thats how i guess to read it.. try to take those bars and smash them together and make that a rough percentage of the total 13h off-charge time.....

right google? i mean why not put a number for all those data points, right??

--BikeSnobNYC
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2007
2973 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
There is an option where you can see the screen on time in hours/minutes/seconds. When you go to the battery section and it shows you how much battery each app has used, click on the screen one and it should be there.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
478 upvotes
MONTR
AA0913 wrote: I have had the worst WORST case of strep throat Ever, but here is my TEXT review...

again, if YOU MUST NEED LTE, this handset is not for you.. in the GTA/North and downtown I have never felt 3g was too slow ever, and I never turned on LTE on my iPhone5 cuz, well I wanted it to last all day, but anyway, this is my first stab at Android on a phone as a daily driver..

THL 5000 Review.

I have a few Android powered devices. A 2012 Nexus 7, a Galaxy Tab 3, and a fully operational HP Touchpad on Ice Cream Sandwich. For a phone, however, I have been using an iPhone of some iteration since 2009. I never found Android to be a stable, consistent and responsive platform to be used daily, as a phone.

My iPhone5 changed that when it failed due to repeated charging (due to an utterly pathetic battery), and damaged the system board (u2 ic failure, most likely).

Looking for an alternative, but never being one to care for the OMG YOU have that most fastest phone!!?!? in the last 3 years, I can say that there is no perfect phone. Some are thinner, faster, more responsive, larger screen etc, but recognizing these trade-offs, I picked up the THL 5000 from first-tier vendor: IMAGING DRAGON, on Ali Express.

[IMG]https://yt3.ggpht.com/-UkB4KMq3nRM/AAAA ... /photo.jpg[/IMG]

NOTE: I chose IMAGING DRAGON due to their fast processing time, excellent English communication and prompt response to all my email concerns. By the time other vendors would be processing the order (7-10 days), I already had my phone, in my hand and it was professionally packaged, all items as described, in NEW condition, no stuck/dead pixels! I know my next handset will be from them if I get bored of the THL 5000.

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/znEiy ... p0=s592-no[/IMG]

I have been called a power-user… I did a lot of photo and video editing/authoring on the iPhone and the battery never satisfied me. My daily routine would consist of having WAZE GPS running while STREAMING podcasts on my commute to work and have it paired to my car via Bluetooth. As a comparison, my iPhone would be at 84% when I got to work. The same apps on a Samsung S3 on kitkat was at 47%. The THL 5000 is at a whopping 93% using the same apps and same run time!

Screen
5 inch
441 PPI
Screen Resolution 1,920 x 1,080 pixels
Display Technology FHD
Ambient Light Sensor
Multi Touch
Proximity Sensor

The THL has a vibrant 1920x1088 441dpi IPS screen. It looks great at every angle and its resolution bests retina resolution displays from iPhone. I have never had a problem with any lines or stuck pixels! no yellow banding etc. Its a great display and I don’t see any ghosting or weird artifacts etc.

The Camera
f1.8 Exmor RS Sony IMX135 13mp 5-element lens assy

A Sony sourced IMX135 imaging sensor provides excellent image capturing and video. It does 1080p video capture and in varying light conditions has good sensitivity. I impulsively set all the settings in the camera as the iPhone doesn’t have any settings but after extensive testing, I found that the night-mode works well for low-light conditions and automode for everything else. The Camera application is decent and has quite a few options but again, they mainly don’t need to be adjusted much as the hardware works it out for you. I have some picture samples but they seem to have been compressed a bit once sent/hosted.
The front camera deserves mention as it is one of the first phone cameras that has recognized the whole ‘selfie’ is now a ‘thing’, and brings an 88-degree wide-angle lens. This is awesome and I bet this is going to be on every phone going forward. Pics with a significant other can now also capture the background and no longer do you need to stretch your arm to squeeze the other face in the shot. There isn’t any odd distortions and facial features aren’t out of proportion. Both cameras work great and are worth the price-alone just to be a memory-capturing companion.

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hTuE ... 190446.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9zKT ... 191105.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0HcS ... 123828.jpg[/IMG]

Build Quality
Phone Depth 8.9 mm
Weight 146 grams
Dimensions 144.2 mm x 70.4 mm x 8.9 mm

The handset is on-par with the latest flagship handsets that have a removable backplate. The finish on the back is quite resistant to finger prints as it has a textured finish thats really makes the shiny smooth backing of the Galaxy s3/s4 seem dated. There are no odd creaks or squeaking from squeezing the phone or removing the backplate. The screen is incredibly smooth and is claimed to be made from the 3rd version of twice-tempered Gorilla Glass from Corning. It feels upscale with a black-chrome band around the perimeter of boarder adding to a classy exterior. Seeing as the design is just a triangle with rounded corners, I can see THL is trying to make the best out of an otherwise very familiar design that the Android mobile-device market has seen re-hashed all around.

Battery
Anaode Lithium Polymer
[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7JJw ... -47-08.png[/IMG]

5000mAh. Thats 1300mAh shy of my HP touchpad and 1000mAh more than my 7” Galaxy Tab 3. The battery is no joke on this thing but I don’t use my phone heavy enough to crush it in the 16 hrs that I am awake/day. I use high-draw applications like the camera, some video watching and the podcast streaming/GPS/Bluetooth killer combo, I think I could get up to 2 days use from this. The Camera and gallery do use quite a bit of battery as does powering the screen. Standby if you are doing web and occasional message/web browsing, could probably see a full 3 days without an issue. I do turn off the handset for 5 hours at night while charging. Screenshots are attached but I think the real energy hog is the camera, screen and gps... similar to all android devices.. and possibly the octa-core chipset when all 8 cores are running full-tilt.

Processor
MT6592, 2.0ghz, 2gig RAM

The octacore chipset does show some lag but its seldom and when it does its only noticeable because the handset is just so responsive everywhere else. I have quite enjoyed using it daily for web-browsing and various apps and mainly because of the speed of the MT6592 Octa-core chipset. Its smooth and fast and I have had no complaints. I guess its 8 cores do get a bit thirsty because its clocked at its upper limit being 2.0ghz, but the CPU governor does try to keep things in control and only ramps up when needed. It has to get its power from somewhere and the battery, albeit huge, is just like strapping on a bigger fuel tank to an engine with more cylinders. Its fast and I haven’t had any FC for apps due to heat or other bugs.

Connectivity
Wifi connects quickly and has considerable range. I have never had any problems with signal drops and get the same range as my iPhone5 and more range than my Galaxy S3 or Nexus 7. Speed is very fast.
Same can be said for GPS and bluetooth connections and even simultaneous connections don’t do any weird things like what I have heard from other Chinese handsets. (dropped connections, GPS takes long to lock-on target etc)
Compass is accurate.
Networks
3G (HSDPA/CDMA)
Edge/2G (GSM/GPRS)
CDMA Networks

850 MHz
2100 MHz
GSM Networks

850 MHz
900 MHz
1800 MHz
1900 MHz

Handset speaker is decently loud and the quality is good. Earpiece is also decent, but not as full bodied sounding as the iPhone.

Android Extras
KitKat 4.4.2
The camera app mentioned is full featured, having various scene modes, exposure and zoom settings. The app also allows for pretty extensive editing of the picture after its shot, which is pretty good as far as android camera apps go. The LG G2 had the same sensor but a completely over-simplified app that made it difficult to capture pictures in anything else but ideal light. The THL 5000 doens’t have this problem!

Smart Gestures

Drawing or tapping the screen can unlock or start different apps. Its an OK gimmick, but I can see it being useful as the swipe-up to unlock can be handy or drawing ‘c’ to launch the camera, in saving a second or two.

OK GOOGLE is also enabled full time and can be initiated anytime the handset is unlocked.

Both of these features are on all the time and probably contribute to significant battery use, but I predict 3% over 8hrs of standby when the phone is just idle.

OTG is a nice-to-have that could come in handy for copying stuff to/from a memory stick, or simply connecting a mouse for… well I am not sure why I would do this but I guess I could use my monster 5000mah battery to charge my wife’s iPhone in a pinch…

Extras in the Box

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-iQ9_ ... 001511.jpg[/IMG]
PICTURE TAKEN WITH GALAXY S3

Imaging Dragon included some cool extras such as the OTG adapter/keychain thing as well as a flip-case and a nicer silicone case. First, the silicone case is top-shelf. Its not some Dollar-store, I got 3 for $1 type of case. It has a crystal clear for the front half that boarders the frame of the phone and the rear half of the same silicone is frosted. It allows the black-chrome bezel to be seen through its crystal clear protective boarder. Its also not made of that crap silicone that attracts pocket-lint like a magnet. Its smart looking and perfect fitting and really works with the phone for days you may not want to go out naked! I have not ever had an iPhone case that had worked so well WITH the phone.
Now, the flip-case uses a substitute backing cover and I guess would be nice if I carried my phone in a purse…

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gMq0 ... 001410.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SvzQ ... 001453.jpg[/IMG]

16gig Micro SD is genuine Sandisk and thats nice to know as its not some off-brand that could damage the phone or lose your data or cause problems down the road.

Overall

The THL 5000 is a good phone to move to if 4g data is not your main concern. Rogers in Toronto is pretty fast as 3g and coverage is better as well. I think the iPhone days are numbered and Android handsets are going to feel this Chinese wave of phones now with OnePlus One and Xiaomi. These new handsets are like the Korean flip-phones of the early pre-iPhone era - smart, well-executed and well packaged hardware that is capable and powerful enough to be no longer a lesser product but a competitive adversary for the bigger players in the market. Its going to hit like a ping-pong powerhouse from China, fast, quick and you won’t even know its coming until its already passed you - with not much of a warning-shot at all.
thanks for the in depth personal review.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
442 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
AA0913 wrote: All reviews of the Xiaomi are positive. I wouldn't be too hot about firmware upgrades in the Android world. My Nexus 7 has more bugs now than when it was out of the box and the functionality isn't that much better. Its been thru a few Official Android issued updates. The S3 I have is barely usable, but only if you have another battery on you at all times...

Not mine. I'm using 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 isn't even available for me yet.

If that was the case then why not buy a Windows Phone? Android is all about features. It's clear that the people who buy order Chinese smartphones don't want to spend as much, but still want features and stability. You can't have both without paying more for software support.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
loserga wrote: Not mine. I'm using 4.4.2 and 4.4.4 isn't even available for me yet.

If that was the case then why not buy a Windows Phone? Android is all about features. It's clear that the people who buy order Chinese smartphones don't want to spend as much, but still want features and stability. You can't have both without paying more for software support.
I actually went on the Windows store and found that there is quite a lot less apps available for windows devices. I was looking for a decent remote desktop app for a Windows 8.1 tablet but there simply is none except Microsoft's own app. Besides, if you really want Windows, get a tablet instead. Windows work much better as a desktop/laptop/tablet than in a mobile phone environment. You can even get Windows style themes (launchers) in Android phones too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)