None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3994 posts
896 upvotes
Mississauga

Chinese Visa - photo question

I was wondering if the chinese embassy is picky about the photo?
The photo store wanted to charge me another set of passport photo.

When I looked at the requirements:

3. A recent passport-size color photo with white background stuck on the visa application form;

I was wondering if it's possible to use a self taken photo at home. Cut it up to around the same size as passport. They're not using the photo to make a visa, rather it's probably just for identification and matching with the passport photo.
So would they be as strict about no shadowing(the one i'm using doesn't have one), reflection, and no smile(i purposely didn't smile) haha....

Gonna have to do some PS on the background to make it white...
37 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1875 posts
10 upvotes
we just went to those $3 photo-booths at the mall, no problems at all.

we had 4 friends and ran in and out as quick as we can to get a pic for each of us. it took 2 tries, but at least it was still cheap!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
wing0 wrote: I was wondering if the chinese embassy is picky about the photo?

3. A recent passport-size color photo with white background stuck on the visa application form;

I was wondering if it's possible to use a self taken photo at home. Cut it up to around the same size as passport. They're not using the photo to make a visa, rather it's probably just for identification and matching with the passport photo.
So would they be as strict about no shadowing(the one i'm using doesn't have one), reflection, and no smile(i purposely didn't smile) haha....

they have a photo booth at the embassy but i can't remember the price.. probably like 5 bux
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9644 posts
733 upvotes
Markham
Wow, so China is that lenient on visa photos?

I just got a Chinese visa, and I had the pictures taken at Costco when they had some promo on passport photos, and it was fine.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4749 posts
125 upvotes
Oakville
The cheapest passport photos are at Costco. I've been at the consulate where the agent rejected the photo. I would avoid amateur snapshots, but if you can pull off a decent photo print (not on plain paper) on your own that is on a solid neutral, well-lit background then go for it.
May 27, 2007
15854 posts
3553 upvotes
Toronto
Yeh I took mine at Costco too.

Remember your photo has to be recent (within 6 months) i believe.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
May 10, 2003
2553 posts
2 upvotes
how much does Costco charge for passport photos?

and

how many days does it take to process a VISA to China in the Toronto office?

thanks
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20948 posts
1204 upvotes
Shanghai, China
wing0 wrote: I was wondering if the chinese embassy is picky about the photo?

I never had a problem getting my Chinese visa. I just went to Chinatown and they just took an "ok" shot of me. It worked in 2007 and in 2008. I never got hassled for it.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
espeed wrote: how much does Costco charge for passport photos?
$5.49 at the Queensway location.
May 27, 2007
15854 posts
3553 upvotes
Toronto
espeed wrote: how many days does it take to process a VISA to China in the Toronto office?

thanks

Usually 3-4 business days.
You can always pay $50 more for same-day rush.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16623 posts
2328 upvotes
Market Village in Markham has a photo store that does passport photos (it's near the McDonalds side of the mall by BMO). Never had one of those photos rejected, and I know A LOT of people that use that place.

I believe the photo is only 7.00.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
516 upvotes
They were not that picky when I applied. I just took a picture of myself with my digital camera with a light background, print it out at futureshop, and then cut it to size.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2003
2553 posts
2 upvotes
oh yeah I heard recently that it's cheaper to process your VISA to China if you get it in Hong Kong, is that true?
Mar 20, 2006
229 posts
3 upvotes
Use your digital camera and photoshop, you can get your pictures for 20 cents.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
2054 posts
45 upvotes
The photo at the embassy is $10 and you get four of them.

The visa will take 3 business days, I think.
There's express or rush service with extra $ of course.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
64 upvotes
espeed wrote: oh yeah I heard recently that it's cheaper to process your VISA to China if you get it in Hong Kong, is that true?
You no longer can get your visa in HK unless you're an HK resident:

"Travellers should be aware that visas for mainland China can no longer be obtained in Hong Kong unless the traveller is a Hong Kong resident. "

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en. ... ntry=55000
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4749 posts
125 upvotes
Oakville
The 2010 Visa application requirements ask for a recent 2" x 2" colour photo.

Has anyone applied lately with the regular passport-sized photo? (i.e. not square but rectangular)

Just curious if they'll reject the application with the common passport photo dimensions.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
737 upvotes
gmark2000 wrote: The 2010 Visa application requirements ask for a recent 2" x 2" colour photo.

Has anyone applied lately with the regular passport-sized photo? (i.e. not square but rectangular)

Just curious if they'll reject the application with the common passport photo dimensions.
We used standard passport photos from Blacks
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4749 posts
125 upvotes
Oakville
nalababe wrote: We used standard passport photos from Blacks
Was this visa application this year (2010)?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16623 posts
2328 upvotes
Do Canadians need a visa to enter Shenzhen from HK? Or are there Shenzhen only border visas available at then HK -> Mainland crossing?