• Jun 30th, 2019 7:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2844 posts
685 upvotes
Toronto

Chipmaster Markham Terrible Experience w/ Pics

TL:DR??! Refer to images below and that will describe my nightmare experience with Chipmaster Markham.

After days of searching for a new body shop to repaint my front bumper and to repair a small dent on my door from a hit and run incident. I settled with Chipmaster Markham. I emailed Ron via the RFD group buy thread for an estimate. I was quoted $350 for a bumper respray and $200 for a PDR with a turn around of 3 days. The price was okay and local shops around my area quoted me about the same and some lower but what made me pull the trigger was all the "amazing" reviews from RFD. I am now kicking myself for spending any money here.

I dropped off my car on Wednesday afternoon. I dealt with Rommel and Ron who were both friendly. Told me it typically takes 3 days to finish and that I can probably pick it up Saturday, if not the latest Monday. Told them that wasn't a problem and no need to rush in completing the job. I get a call Friday morning saying that my car was ready for pick up. I was a bit skeptical at first as I have had paint jobs done for my previous vehicles and this was the fastest I have ever gotten my car back. I immediately Ubered to Chipmaster Markham and as soon as I got out of my Uber, thats when the nightmare begins.

From a far, I noticed my fender was sticking out a bit more than usual and the fender no longer aligned with my driver side door. I thought, maybe it was always like this and I never noticed until now?? but it stuck out so much and was on the driver side so I know I would have noticed it. On the same day I dropped it off with them, I shot a video of my car as I had another auto shop damage my car and blame me for it. I reviewed that video and there was no misalignment between the door and fender in that video. So I definitely did not drop off my car with a popped out fender. Red flag #1.

I walked to the front of my car to see the bumper and wow was I disappointed. Red flag #2 Overspray, uneven sprays, scratches under the clear coat, cracked paint, trim not masked off properly and the worst part, chipped paint on a new coat of paint that they just painted :facepalm: ......I know a few users complained about chipped paint that they experienced a few days after picking up their cars from Chipmasters but come on... fresh new paint chipping already. I guess these guys really are Chipmasters. Also, it looked like they didn't take off the old paint and just sprayed over it as there was a big rock chip spot on my bumper that was still there when I picked it up(see below). Right away I knew that there was no quality control at this shop. How do you deliver a bumper with so many imperfections. I have more imperfections across my bumper than I did before I dropped it off....

I went inside and spoke with Randle? Super polite with the customer he was helping before hand and with myself. He said he saw me outside taking pictures of my car and that I looked disappointed so we both went outside to take a look. First thing I pointed out was the fender. He agreed that it was misaligned and that he can get someone to align it back no problem. Then we took a look at the front bumper and you can tell on his face that he was disappointed with the results too. I pointed out all the imperfections and he said I can come back and they can respray it. Sure not a problem, mistakes happen I get it. Then the owner, Ron comes out and asks whats the problem. This is when it goes downhill even more...

I point out the popped out fender and he says they didn't touch the fender since they weren't working on it. I show him the video I made on the day I dropped it off. He says "it looks popped out" in the video even though in the video, it shows that its aligned and not sticking out. I point out that it was probably jacked up on the wrong spot and that's why the fender is higher than the door. He tells me that they never jacked up the car to take off the bumper. Red flag #3. My vehicle(subaru brz) has several pins at the bottom of the bumper that need to be removed in order to take off the bumper. Also, my vehicle is slightly lower than OEM with a front lip so there is no way, someone would've been able to get under to get those screws unless they have low profile race ramps. Randle jumps in, and they're both aggressively saying they didn't jack up the car or do anything with the fender. At one point, Ron mentions that they didn't even take off my bumper to spray it even though they installed new push pins on the inside of the fender liner where you remove the bumper. I decided there was no point in going back and forth as even myself wasn't 100% sure if the fender was popped out beforehand even though the video says otherwise. so I turn the attention to the front bumper. Boy was I surprised at Ron's response to the crap job they did.

Right away, you can tell he was annoyed. Face red with a passive aggressive voice. Maybe I offended him by accusing his staff of messing up my fender??? I don't really know as I wasn't being rude or aggressive the whole time I was pointing out the mistakes. He says the reason there are cracked paint around the trim is because "your vehicle is difficult to work with, Subaru made it difficult by not making the trim removable and there are too many lines".... He looks at the other imperfections. Most of them under the clear coat and tells me that these are very minor and can be buffed out.... I didn't know you can buff out cracked paint and over spray that is under the clear coat. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Then he begins to blame me saying that I had a bad bumper and was probably resprayed too many times before LOLL... it was a OEM front bumper with original paint from the subaru factory in japan.. Red flag #4. Tells me to come back tomorrow and his guy will buff everything out. Randle shows Ron a giant crack that is under the clear coat and guess what he says. "Buff it out tomorrow and if it isn't gone then we can respray it". Absolutely ridiculous.... This guy wants me to come back 2 times just so he can fix his mistake. I live 45 minutes away and don't have time to waste so he can repair my bumper that should've been done correctly the first time.... After that, we walk back into the shop and not one apology from either Ron or Randle. I pay for my repairs and randle says he'll charge for half and when i'm satisfied with the fix later on, then I can pay the rest. Half pay for a half a$$ job. I am definitely not going back as it makes more sense at this point to spend that $300 on rattle cans and redo it myself.

After driving home, my fender somehow aligned itself back to normal which was great but I found a few more mistakes in the repair. The door that they performed the PDR, the window trim wasn't installed back correctly and the scratches on the dent they removed were still present. I got some compound and buffed it out myself. My neighbors noticed that my bumper looked different and didn't match the rest of the body so they didn't blend it properly. I reviewed the dashcam footage and they put my car through a car wash that used cloth rollers. My car has never been through one of those and any respectable auto/detailing repair shop knows that those automatic car washes with cloth rollers are known to scratch and leave swirls on your car....

There are so many reviews on RFD about Chipmaster willing to redo any work that isn't perfect and I respect that Randle offered to redo it right away but all of that went away as soon as Ron stepped in the picture. You don't blame a customer for your mistakes and then asks them to come back two times just so you can fix it. That's a waste of time when the job should have been done perfectly the first time. They had a lot of days available to fix my bumper and they still managed to screw it up. Also, If the job was "difficult" in the first place, then they should not have taken it.

What do you guys think? Is my bumper difficult to repaint with all the "lines and trim"?? Are these imperfections below "buffer-able"? :facepalm:

188 replies
Oct 21, 2006
635 posts
396 upvotes
Their work looks terrible and unprofessional, they should be called chip-amateurs
Jul 23, 2010
571 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
As a fellow BRZ owner I’m shocked. I actually took my car in one time (stock white, 17) to Ron for a small scratch and I’m so glad I didn’t go through with it. Ended up using a paint pen with the end result looking like picture 5. A shop should be able to do a way better job. That’s just terrible.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12002 posts
8686 upvotes
GTA, ON
They used to be MAACO a long time ago as I recall. I used them back then, some time in the early 2000s I'm sure (2001/2). Wasn't impressed with their work.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 13, 2013
112 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
Thats a terrible job, any shop that releases a car like that should not be in business, but sadly too many like that out there.

If a bumper is hard to paint, then the shop should not accept the job. These are not errors that can simply be buffed out and would need to be re-done to fix. The chipping / peeling will only get worse especially as more moisture gets under there. Colour match was not done properly.

The first 'redflag' was seeing the cost. $350 to repaint a bumper is too cheap. Sure I'd love to pay that, but any respectable shop would take that bumper off, remove trim, mask everything properly, sand it down, prime, paint, clear. re-assemble. That in my eyes is way more than 350 just in a shops hourly labour rate.
Aug 22, 2007
764 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
Wow that's terrible. Used chipmaster about 8-10 years ago for a respray and they did a good job then.

This is totally unacceptable and amateur.

Hope everything works out and Ron quickly realizes his mistake. A Google review with your pics going to cost them more in the long term.

Kinda glad I didn't go back to them 2 years back to fix a 3" crack on my bumper from hitting an already dead raccoon. They wouldn't repair the crack but wanted to reorder a new OEM bumper and paint job for $2k.

Hope everything works out OP.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28966 posts
14556 upvotes
Toronto
OMG. That's one sh**y job that I have ever seen. The job must have been done by a 15 yr-old kid who has no clue whatsoever.

Another business that has gotten over confident and now on a big downturn perhaps. Just like Joy City tires to name just one sad example.

If the shop cannot do the job correctly and properly, then tell the customer that. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4235 posts
1712 upvotes
IMO, they didn't remove the bumper. To save time, they sprayed the paint with the bumper in the car... they just popped out the corners of the bumper to get to the edges, but they did not remove the whole bumper.

Probably the first question was that, "are you going to remove the bumper to work on it, or not?"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9004 posts
10283 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Wow, terrible. It looks like on the bumper they didn't use any filler and then sanding to make it smooth. It like just buying some color match at CT and spraying it on whatever is already there.

Luckily it’s only $350 and maybe lesson learned. I’d want a refund and take my business elsewhere. I wouldn’t have any confidence they can do the job right.

Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18748 posts
6793 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't have paid half at all. I think someone on Kijiji could have done a better job than this.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12002 posts
8686 upvotes
GTA, ON
OP, why have you not posted this same review to the group buy thread?

You should since it will get more attention.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2475 posts
501 upvotes
TO
This is embarrassing. I wouldn’t pay a dime for that. Ask for your money back and go to Luxury Autobody.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6109 posts
2444 upvotes
Canuckland
Wow that’s one crap job, maybe they’ve gone downhill.

They did a great job on mine back in 2016
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6609 posts
2187 upvotes
GTA
Those paint edges wouldn't even be acceptable for a drywall mud job.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4638 upvotes
Montreal
Yup, this is a terrible job bumper clearly not removed from the car, filled, sanded and painted. Sadly this is what happens when a shop does good work and positive reviews pour in, they eventually take in more work than they can handle and quality suffers. Seems to be the case here since most reviews are 5 star. The $350 should have also been a 'redflag' that this was not going to be a top quality job. Most shops will charge $5-600+ to remove a bumper and fix/paint it properly.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15955 posts
13839 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wow that is bad. They did work for me back in 2016 and it was good. But yes the quoted price was a redflag already, it was far too cheap for a "proper" job. Perhaps this was a RFD special??? :P
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
2844 posts
685 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote: IMO, they didn't remove the bumper. To save time, they sprayed the paint with the bumper in the car... they just popped out the corners of the bumper to get to the edges, but they did not remove the whole bumper.

Probably the first question was that, "are you going to remove the bumper to work on it, or not?"
What's funny is, on the day I dropped it off and when they examined it. They said they were going to remove the bumper and will replace one of the brackets for the bumper...

I thought the $350 for the bumper refinish was their "RFD groupbuy" discount and assumed it would be more without the groupbuy. Wish I knew this was too low of a price.....
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2003
3230 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
congeetime wrote: What's funny is, on the day I dropped it off and when they examined it. They said they were going to remove the bumper and will replace one of the brackets for the bumper...

I thought the $350 for the bumper refinish was their "RFD groupbuy" discount and assumed it would be more without the groupbuy. Wish I knew this was too low of a price.....
i got a bumper repainted for i believe 400 or so around 5 years ago and they did a good job....the price wouldn't have been a red flag to me
Telus: $45 25GB plan
Public Mobile: $23 1GB plan
Jun 4, 2016
211 posts
227 upvotes
Oh my! That looks horrible! I wouldn't want that for free!