Food & Drink

# Chipotle Peppers to put in chili con carne?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2020 9:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1114 posts
335 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC

# Chipotle Peppers to put in chili con carne?

I’m about to make a huge batch of chili, about 8L. How many smoked chipotle peppers can I use without making the chili way too hot?

I have a small can of La Costena “chipotle peppers in adobo sauce” 6.55 fl oz or 186ml, made in Mexico, from SuperStore. Was thinking of using half this can, but I know these little smoked peppers and the sauce is really hot. Normally I make chili medium hot, don’t want to make it too hot.

Will be using biggest can of tomatoes I ever bought, 2.84L recently on sale at Walmart.
2 replies
Apr 12, 2005
957 posts
196 upvotes
adams7 wrote: I’m about to make a huge batch of chili, about 8L. How many smoked chipotle peppers can I use without making the chili way too hot?

I have a small can of La Costena “chipotle peppers in adobo sauce” 6.55 fl oz or 186ml, made in Mexico, from SuperStore. Was thinking of using half this can, but I know these little smoked peppers and the sauce is really hot. Normally I make chili medium hot, don’t want to make it too hot.

Will be using biggest can of tomatoes I ever bought, 2.84L recently on sale at Walmart.

Kinda depends on your definition of too hot.
Chipotles are not actually that hot (compared to some of the hotter fresh peppers)

I always cut them open and take out the seeds and stem (i dont like them in the chili) which decreases the heat.
I'd say taste a small piece and gauge your level of heat
Half a can with the sauce sounds like a good start. You can always add more if needed
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1114 posts
335 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
I ended up using about a quarter of the can of chipotle peppers in the 8L chili CC. I found out they have a hotness rating of up to 8000 Scovilles which is the same as a jalapeño pepper. Normally I use 1 to 3 jalapeños in a 4L batch of chili depending on how hot I want it. The chipotle peppers are really small because they are dried which shrinks them but they contribute the same hotness as a fresh full-size green or red jalapeño so you need to be careful with these. Plus the adobo sauce is quite hot.

I ground up the can of chipotles and sauce into a paste, in a blender. Used some of it in my chili CC and froze the rest into small cubes in an ice cube tray, for later use.