Shopping Discussion

ChitChats shipping for occasional items domestically?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 8:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20345 posts
6523 upvotes
Toronto

ChitChats shipping for occasional items domestically?

I ordered something low cost and relatively small on eBay from the GTA and it's getting shipped to me in Toronto. Instead of being shipped with Canada Post directly, it is being shipped via ChitChats. I had thought it was more popular for international shipments as opposed to domestic, but then I checked their website and the shipping fees they quote if accurate are definitely lower than even the Canada Post low volume small business rates. I thought I read somewhere there are extra fees but I can't find reference to that on their website.

Do you guys and gals recommend ChitChats for domestic shipments of just occasional items, if their shipping locations are not too out of the way? Are there any gotchas? Do you find there are delays going this route?

EDIT:

Maybe I should have posted this in a different sub-forum, but I'm not sure where else to put it.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28449 posts
13998 upvotes
I would. Why not? Why pay more?

I keep an eShipper account around too for occasional use.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Jan 3, 2015
169 posts
121 upvotes
Delta, BC
Chitchats Tracked packet for a small item across Canada is $10 and may be a week or two. Canada Post is $16 through Paypal and UPS Standard is about the same as Canada Post through Netparcel.
Last edited by neilc6 on Aug 4th, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20865 posts
19122 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Don’t live in TO / GTA ...
So cannot really comment on ChitChats

But ya ... you posted in the right place here in the SHOPPING DISCUSSION FORUM

Look around ...

It’s where we talk about (aka ROAST) every Delivery / Courier / Mali Service on the planet :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20345 posts
6523 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I would. Why not? Why pay more?

I keep an eShipper account around too for occasional use.
I had thought there may have been hidden fees or minimum spend or other gotchas. But if I can just walk in and pay my ten bucks to ship a small package instead of paying $16 through Canada Post, that would be good.

How does eShipper compare to ChitChats?

Like for instance for Green P parking through their app. It's more convenient since you can top up the time from anywhere, but you need to load an account with a minimum amount of money. So if you just use it once for a $5 parking session you will then have $15 sitting in your Green P parking account unused because you have to load the account with a minimum of $20.
Jan 3, 2015
169 posts
121 upvotes
Delta, BC
EugW wrote: I had thought there may have been hidden fees or minimum spend or other gotchas. But if I can just walk in and pay my ten bucks to ship a small package instead of paying $16 through Canada Post, that would be good.
You have to do everything online and credit card top up into your account is $10 min. Same item (less than 1lb) USPS First class parcels to US are only $5-$8. Contactless drop off at their branches only. Terminals and printers are closed. Not sure but may be $10 for major centers only so could be more for out of the way destinations.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20345 posts
6523 upvotes
Toronto
neilc6 wrote: You have to do everything online and credit card top up into your account is $10 min. Same item (less than 1lb) USPS First class parcels to US are only $5-$8. Contactless drop off at their branches only. Terminals and printers are closed. Not sure but may be $10 for major centers only so could be more for out of the way destinations.
OK, a minimum $10 top up is not bad. And I'm OK with doing everything online at home first.

I guess carrying a laptop or iPad with you wouldn't help because there would be no printer access.
Feb 1, 2014
32 posts
23 upvotes
Burnaby
EugW wrote: OK, a minimum $10 top up is not bad. And I'm OK with doing everything online at home first.

I guess carrying a laptop or iPad with you wouldn't help because there would be no printer access.
It may depend on which locations you go to, but so far out of the three Chitchat locations I've been to (pre covid) here in BC, they all had computers, measuring tape, scales, and label printers all free for you to use. Just log in to your account, input your information, print label and drop off. Same process as if you were doing it at home. Obviously it'll take you an extra few minutes to do this compared to doing it at home and just dropping off. There was even one location that had boxes and sleeves you can use to ship in which they charge a reasonable price for.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11920 posts
2895 upvotes
Durham Region
I've sent 3 packages to the US and 1 within Canada...

Somehow, some way, the US ones were all there within a week.

Within Canada. Since Canadapost is their parter domestically the package has been coming up as electronic info submitted for a week...
Jan 3, 2015
169 posts
121 upvotes
Delta, BC
XtremeModder wrote: Within Canada. Since Canadapost is their parter domestically the package has been coming up as electronic info submitted for a week...
I believe Chitchats uses their own logistics to get to the nearest city before it is handed off to Canada Post for last mile delivery. The Canada Post tracking does not update until it gets handed off to Canada Post. You can check the Chitchats tracking which will indicate when the package was dropped off.

Here is one I sent July 26 to Montreal. https://chitchats.com/tracking/d21g6v9n05
Canada Post received yesterday https://www.canadapost.ca/trackweb/en#/ ... 8575245444
Nov 15, 2008
441 posts
176 upvotes
Vancouver
Has anyone processed a customer return through Chit Chats lately?

I did one a few years ago, so I have a POA on file, but when I look at the return address, it's just Chit Chats in NY state. There's no mention in any of their support info about adding in any of my account info anywhere that ties the parcel to me/my account number.

The buyer is responsible for return shipping, so I won't be purchasing a return label from CC for her. Will CC still consider this a customer return and process it?