• Jan 19th, 2021 10:14 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1382 posts
264 upvotes
GTA

Choosing kitchen Sink

Any suggestions for Kitchen sink in terms of Brand & Material?
Kraus, Kohler, Artika, Hahn, American Standard?
Stainless Steel, enamelled cast iron, neoroc?

Costco.ca carries Artika, Hahn and American Standard BTW.
Can we buy from costco.com since they carry Kohler?

Currently eyeing on this Kraus kitchen sink.
Too bad they have it only in US.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
tokiwadai wrote: Any suggestions for Kitchen sink in terms of Brand & Material?

A number of no name brands are all made in the same factory in China. If you liked Kraus, then search for "stylish" sinks on Amazon. They are both essentially the same sinks. Stainless steel is good, but no matter how careful you are, you will get some scratches here and there as part of normal wear and tear.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1382 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
IndyBeak wrote: A number of no name brands are all made in the same factory in China. If you liked Kraus, then search for "stylish" sinks on Amazon. They are both essentially the same sinks. Stainless steel is good, but no matter how careful you are, you will get some scratches here and there as part of normal wear and tear.
Thanks for the info on Stylish.
It looks good, looking at one of the model that I like but the cheapest I can get is from sinkdirects.ca.
Anyone can comments on sinkdirects.ca? :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9333 posts
5628 upvotes
Single deep bowl, with a grid insert for the base.

Most functional and the grid minimizes scratches.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Aug 30, 2013
824 posts
999 upvotes
Went from the classic double basin sink to Blanco 32" single basin rectangular sink from Lowes. Probably the top 3 best upgrades in the entire kitchen gut and rebuild.
So much space and manoeuvrability.

Steel seems to be great, even came with a grid for the bottom, and 2 large containers that can sit across the sink and be storage for utensils or cleaning supplies.
If you want space and comfort in the sink, single basin is the way to go
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1275 upvotes
For no name try Interior Blue, in Vaughan. Guy does his own stuff, uses great materials. Got a 16 gage for around $400, double bowl 10"
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
tokiwadai wrote: Thanks for the info on Stylish.
It looks good, looking at one of the model that I like but the cheapest I can get is from sinkdirects.ca.
Anyone can comments on sinkdirects.ca? :rolleyes:
As long as they do not run away with your money and don't ship the sink, I wouldn't say it is going to be a problem.
I mean it is just a sink, as long as you get it, it makes no difference where you get it from.

Between check PrimeCables as well. For some reason, they sell sinks, and for some even weird reasons, they only have a 2-3 models in catalogue. lol. But I remember seeing a 30X18 inch sink for under 200$ there.
Feb 11, 2009
466 posts
221 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
A friend really likes his Blanco Silgranit apron sink. He said that it won't scretch and it is easy to clean and bacteria resistance (less growth of them)

I am stubborn and am still going for a stainless steel sink. I do not like the look of granite sink.
Got a Kraus 40/60 sink to be installed hopefully some time this year.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8423 posts
4666 upvotes
Durham
Our sink was installed when we re-did our countertops last year:

IMG_20200222_171722.jpg
IMG_20200222_171710.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1562 posts
541 upvotes
Vaughan
jdmfishingonly wrote: Our sink was installed when we re-did our countertops last year:

IMG_20200222_171722.jpgIMG_20200222_171710.jpg
is it normal not to have a p trap? or is underneath the cabinet?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1562 posts
541 upvotes
Vaughan
tokiwadai wrote: Any suggestions for Kitchen sink in terms of Brand & Material?

I started a thread on upgrading the builder sink here:

upgrading-kitchen-sink-2430446/#p33752238

hopefully there's some useful information there. I'm considering going with Franke.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
otaknap wrote: is it normal not to have a p trap? or is underneath the cabinet?
Will be under the floor. Can be seen if basement is unfinished.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8423 posts
4666 upvotes
Durham
otaknap wrote: is it normal not to have a p trap? or is underneath the cabinet?
Here it is in the basement.

IMG_20210112_142611.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8423 posts
4666 upvotes
Durham
IndyBeak wrote: Will be under the floor. Can be seen if basement is unfinished.
It can be if you finish the basement properly so that you have access to the trap.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1562 posts
541 upvotes
Vaughan
jdmfishingonly wrote: It can be if you finish the basement properly so that you have access to the trap.
I always wonder why they do that.. is it because there's not enough space to do a P-trap under the sink? seems better if it was under the sink in case you need to service it especially if your basement is finished.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8423 posts
4666 upvotes
Durham
otaknap wrote: I always wonder why they do that.. is it because there's not enough space to do a P-trap under the sink? seems better if it was under the sink in case you need to service it especially if your basement is finished.
Whoever that does the ceiling for the basement should be able to do a drop down trap door to give access to all sections where you may require access to the p-traps and/or drains and/or shut off valves.

It's ONLY common sense to do that otherwise you need to RIP OFF the entire ceiling just to locate them.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1562 posts
541 upvotes
Vaughan
jdmfishingonly wrote: Whoever that does the ceiling for the basement should be able to do a drop down trap door to give access to all sections where you may require access to the p-traps and/or drains and/or shut off valves.

It's ONLY common sense to do that otherwise you need to RIP OFF the entire ceiling just to locate them.
Yeah for sure. My basement has doors for shut off valves but not for any pipes. I also have a shutoff valve and the p trap under my sink. Just curious why they didn't do your ptrap under your sink instead of going to the basement. Was wondering if it was because there just wasn't enough space or just bad plumbing/planning.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8423 posts
4666 upvotes
Durham
otaknap wrote: Yeah for sure. My basement has doors for shut off valves but not for any pipes. I also have a shutoff valve and the p trap under my sink. Just curious why they didn't do your ptrap under your sink instead of going to the basement. Was wondering if it was because there just wasn't enough space or just bad plumbing/planning.
It's called builders with their brains between their two pieces of meat on their rears.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
otaknap wrote: I always wonder why they do that.. is it because there's not enough space to do a P-trap under the sink? seems better if it was under the sink in case you need to service it especially if your basement is finished.

jdmfishingonly wrote: It's called builders with their brains between their two pieces of meat on their rears.
It’s probably an “island” sink. The only proper code compliant way to drain and vent the trap, is for it to be located within the joist space below. Because they used a union trap you would require access, but common practice is to install a solid trap, and you would not need access when finishing the basement.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)