Careers

Christmas gifts for remote team

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 3:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2007
1798 posts
221 upvotes
Mississauga

Christmas gifts for remote team

Any suggestions on a nice end of year gift you'd like to receive from your employer?

I have a team of 6-7 people.... We usually do an end of year nice dinner thing where I get the bill, covering booze etc.... It comes from my pocket, I don't expense it to my employer. This year, we are all still remote. My team is scattered around the GTA and range in age, gender, etc.

I'm thinking of doing $25 Starbucks gift cards... Thoughts?
23 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13685 posts
8697 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
$25 amazon

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2007
1798 posts
221 upvotes
Mississauga
Prefer not to do Amazon. I hate them. Lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1297 posts
705 upvotes
ottawa
LCBO or best buy are nice options too
Member
Jun 8, 2019
469 posts
207 upvotes
Yea, $25 Starbucks would be fine. Almost everyone either drinks coffee or likes speciality drinks.
Member
Sep 15, 2017
472 posts
444 upvotes
Saskatoon
25$ visa gift card. Not everyone drinks coffee.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4566 upvotes
Alberta
Try giftcertificates.ca. This is what we always get from work. I get a code and can pick a gift certificate from the list. And you can split up the amount and pick more than one card. There's something on there for everyone.

https://giftcertificates.ca/
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 24, 2016
935 posts
772 upvotes
ON
jackrabbit000 wrote: Try giftcertificates.ca. This is what we always get from work. I get a code and can pick a gift certificate from the list. And you can split up the amount and pick more than one card. There's something on there for everyone.

https://giftcertificates.ca/
This seemed like a good idea and I tried a dummy purchase of a $25 gift pass to be sent to the recipient’s email but there’s a $4.95 handling fees. Really?
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4546 posts
2632 upvotes
QuicKi7 wrote: Vanilla VISA / MC cards
Don't they have ridiculous activation fees etc?

At work we did Skip the Dishes gift cards, everybody can treat themselves to a nice meal delivered.

Starbucks is iffy, requires going to a physical store location which not many are keen on.
Sr. Member
Sep 3, 2019
684 posts
415 upvotes
GTA
bhrm wrote: Don't they have ridiculous activation fees etc?

At work we did Skip the Dishes gift cards, everybody can treat themselves to a nice meal delivered.

Starbucks is iffy, requires going to a physical store location which not many are keen on.
Not that I can recall
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
6336 posts
2077 upvotes
Vancouver
gotwgoty wrote: Yea, $25 Starbucks would be fine. Almost everyone either drinks coffee or likes speciality drinks.
I would disagree. Like them, but haven't been much due to, you know, not much getting out. Amazon on other hand allows you to buy what you want. I was given a 75 gift card back in May and I am still at $40 after so many months. If it was 2019 it would've been gone long ago,but just find it hard to get out and spend.
That's why amazon or visa gift card are the best. Walmart isn't the best either as some never shop there. I am one of those that almost never goes there and I have no hate towards it Just other stores have everything they have.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1153 posts
751 upvotes
Montreal, QC
jandumm wrote: Any suggestions on a nice end of year gift you'd like to receive from your employer?

I have a team of 6-7 people.... We usually do an end of year nice dinner thing where I get the bill, covering booze etc.... It comes from my pocket, I don't expense it to my employer. This year, we are all still remote. My team is scattered around the GTA and range in age, gender, etc.

I'm thinking of doing $25 Starbucks gift cards... Thoughts?
That's very nice/thoughtful of you.

In terms of my suggestion, if I got a $25 Starbucks gift card, I would be grateful but since I don't go to Starbucks often (in fact, the last time I visited a Starbucks must have been over 5 if not 10 years ago), it wouldn't really be good for me. I would still use the $25 Starbucks gift card but would be purchasing something from Starbucks only because I had the gift card.

I think an Amazon gift card is more practical but you mentioned that you don't like them. Excluding the fact that you don't want to do business with Amazon, it isn't really about what you like but what the people in your team like. For example, I don't "do" Starbucks but would have no problems purchasing a Starbucks gift certificate and give it to someone who goes to Starbucks regularly.

If your team occasionally meets up in the office, I would recommend getting a gift certificate/card from a shopping mall which works in almost all the places in that particular mall but in this age of working remotely, I'm not sure how practical this would be. For example, I live in a suburb of Montreal but where I would normally work is in downtown Montreal and since the start of the pandemic closures of the first wave in mid-March 2020 and me working remotely 100% of the time, I haven't really gone downtown for any particular reason so I wouldn't be using a shopping mall gift certificate/card to near where I normally work any time soon.

I'm thinking a gift certificate from Tim Hortons would probably be better than Starbucks (but that's just me)

I do see these generic Visa/Mastercard gift cards but I would never give this to anyone due to the fees these cards charge.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1153 posts
751 upvotes
Montreal, QC
gotwgoty wrote: Yea, $25 Starbucks would be fine. Almost everyone either drinks coffee or likes speciality drinks.
I'm probably one of the few people who hasn't visited a Starbucks in over 5 years if not 10 years.

If I got a $25 Starbucks gift card as a gift, I would be grateful but I would be going there mainly to use the gift card. I've had drinks from Tim Hortons or coffee from McDonald's so it isn't about me not drinking any coffee or drinks. For me, I would find a Tim Horton's gift card to be more practical than a Starbucks gift card. For meetings people often bring Tim Hortons doughnuts so I feel that they are popular.
Newbie
Sep 25, 2020
85 posts
28 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: I'm probably one of the few people who hasn't visited a Starbucks in over 5 years if not 10 years.

If I got a $25 Starbucks gift card as a gift, I would be grateful but I would be going there mainly to use the gift card. I've had drinks from Tim Hortons or coffee from McDonald's so it isn't about me not drinking any coffee or drinks. For me, I would find a Tim Horton's gift card to be more practical than a Starbucks gift card. For meetings people often bring Tim Hortons doughnuts so I feel that they are popular.
You're not the only one. I haven't been to Starbucks for 5 years as well. First thing that come to my mind is $5 a coffee which is kind of pricy.

I buy vanilla visa and mastercard alot when I didn't have cc.
Activation fee range from 2$ to 4.95$
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
4001 posts
1514 upvotes
Please try to help local business, if possible.

I love Amazon a lot, but they are doing pretty well. At the same time, we have local restaurants struggling.

Just a thought.
Sr. Member
Aug 3, 2017
668 posts
485 upvotes
Pick up a case of wine and take a day to deliver them with a hand written card. More personal than gift cards.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4671 posts
5659 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RFD gift cards along with a free RFD membership.

Top