• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2014 11:15 am
[OP]
Dec 12, 2009
61 posts
26 upvotes
Stirling

Christmas LED lights dilemma: one bulb fails, the whole string is useless

We use LED bulbs in our home. Excellent!
I'd like to use the same technology for our Christmas lights:
* energy efficiency
* long life
* low or no heat, so safe to use.

BUT there's one big problem: the strings of lights are wired in series. So if one is dead, the whole string is useless. You have to go through the whole string, testing one bulb at a time, to find the problem. And if two are dead, then you're really facing a problem!

A company called "Forever LED" has solved this with their Christmas lights wired in parallel (www.ForeverLED.com). But they're expensive, especially when you add on the shipping cost from the USA.

QUESTIONS:
* Anyone know a source for Forever LED lights in Canada? (aside from Amazon, eBay)
* Any other company making a similar product, available in Canadian stores?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18348 posts
5964 upvotes
London
? all my old cheapie led xmas lights have 1 or more dead LEDs and the rest of light up fine.

What led lights do you have?
[OP]
Dec 12, 2009
61 posts
26 upvotes
Stirling
l69norm wrote: What led lights do you have?
I don't have any. In my original post I wrote, "I'd like to use..."
My comments are based on what I've heard from others, not from my own experience.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
All of my lights still work if one goes out. I just figured all new lights do this.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18348 posts
5964 upvotes
London
I have put up approx 12 strings of 25 led bulbs each acquired over say 8 years which are the cheapest $ type. There are a few dead LEDs but the rest of the bulbs light up fine.

If my cheapie quality led strings are fine, the better quality name brand strings like noma will be even better

The bulbs in all of my cheapie led strings are permanently mounted and non replaceable.

Maybe you misunderstood. If there were a super critical Xmas display that had to be perfect with no dead bulbs, then I would have to trash the entire string, even though 24 of the bulbs light up and only 1 was dead.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2009
61 posts
26 upvotes
Stirling
Well, this is most interesting!
Based on first-hand reports from two of you, it sounds like what I've been hearing is incorrect. Thank-you!
I will go and buy some of these LED strings, probably when they go on clearance after Christmas.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2180 posts
517 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Bruce Fraser wrote: Well, this is most interesting!
Based on first-hand reports from two of you, it sounds like what I've been hearing is incorrect. Thank-you!
I will go and buy some of these LED strings, probably when they go on clearance after Christmas.
Same here, most of the new led strings work even with a few of them out.

I would check Kijiji too. I got a nice set of 10 quality LED strings for $45 last year
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1579 upvotes
Its not the bulb, its the wiring. If the bulb goes and the connection shunts are fine, they string will work. If the bulb goes bad enough, the wire connections (shunts) also go, and thats when the connection ends

I bought this about 5 Christmas's ago because I was getting sick of tracking down the one light on pre lit Christmas trees, icecycle lights, etc

http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-01201-Comp ... B000R8KBOK

Found it at Canadian Tire for $15. Money well spent
Mar 5, 2006
831 posts
57 upvotes
Noma LEDs are crap - bought four new strands less than three weeks ago and three of them have half of the strand dimmed out. Never again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)