• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2020 8:43 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2009
514 posts
222 upvotes

Christmas tree deal after Christmas ?

Hello
I am in the market to buy a Christmas tree for the first time in my life. But the tree will be for 2021 Christmas as we will be moving into a bigger place.
I was shocked to find out how expensive a nice fake Christmas tree is -$400 ?!?!?

Anyway, I wanna ask the RFD community what fake Christmas tree you recommend that will last for seasons and where to scoop up a good deal for it ? I am in Vancouver.

Thank you !
9 replies
Jul 20, 2012
698 posts
190 upvotes
Air Force One
oskai wrote: Hello
I am in the market to buy a Christmas tree for the first time in my life. But the tree will be for 2021 Christmas as we will be moving into a bigger place.
I was shocked to find out how expensive a nice fake Christmas tree is -$400 ?!?!?

Anyway, I wanna ask the RFD community what fake Christmas tree you recommend that will last for seasons and where to scoop up a good deal for it ? I am in Vancouver.

Thank you !
If someone's paying me $400 for a tree I'd take it in a heartbeat!

On a serious note, try Craigslist/Kijiji. We were in the market for a tree a week ago and managed to snag an excellent Costco tree similar similar to this one (different product number but specs are more or less the same, not sure if it's really 4795 tips but based on seeing this particular one in the warehouse in person, the fullness is about the same).
It was purchased in 2017 for $290 (have the receipt) and is still in excellent condition neatly wrapped with everything in the box. The seller listed it for $50 but needed to get rid of it as they were moving into a smaller place so they ended up giving me the tree for free! Even at $50 it would've been a steal.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4578 upvotes
Alberta
Canadian Tire usually has a good sale after Christmas.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3238 posts
3265 upvotes
GTA
Watch the bigger retailers after Christmas for their clearance sales. I got one at Walmart a few years ago after Christmas for 75% off. Paid $50 instead of $200. You have to be quick the better trees sell out fast.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2009
514 posts
222 upvotes
tew wrote: Watch the bigger retailers after Christmas for their clearance sales. I got one at Walmart a few years ago after Christmas for 75% off. Paid $50 instead of $200. You have to be quick the better trees sell out fast.
Do u know what makes a tree good ? I see a range of trees selling from $100-400 and it’s hard to judge online as all of them look so full.

I want a full looking tree for sure as I am not great at decorating lol
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3238 posts
3265 upvotes
GTA
oskai wrote: Do u know what makes a tree good ? I see a range of trees selling from $100-400 and it’s hard to judge online as all of them look so full.

I want a full looking tree for sure as I am not great at decorating lol
You can't really tell without looking at the display model. Some of the trees looked nowhere near as nice as the picture on the box/online. May be a good idea to look in store now, pick a few you like and watch for them to go on clearance.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1032 posts
589 upvotes
London, On
My last fake tree, I got at Canadian Tire 12 years ago on Boxing Day. It was a $400 tree I got for about $150. 800 lights, 7 1/2 feet tall. I think the bottom row of branches were 5 feet across. I really liked that tree, but it took up so much room in the basement. I actually brought it upstairs in it's pieces instead of trying to drag the box up the stairs lol. I replaced it last year, but more out of boredom with it after 10 years and wanting something new, and a bit smaller. It was still a good tree. Really recommend, as someone said, to go look at the displays now and take pictures of the ones you like and record the information for them.
Jan 4, 2008
666 posts
322 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been thinking of getting a new tree too. I was shocked seeing how much they cost! What are prices like on Boxing Day? When would it be cheapest to get anything like a tree or even lights? My current tree is fine, I hate having to part with it, but I could definitely use a bigger tree, but not if I'm paying $100+