• May 23rd, 2021 1:24 am
[OP]
Jan 3, 2015
9 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Chromebook Keyboard layouts

Hello all,

I need to get a new laptop for some simple word processing, so I am looking at some chromebooks.

I have purchased 3 chromebooks (lenovo, acer, HP) to try and all of their physical keyboard layouts are different from the product photos on the websites and company sites. I understand that some keys on chromebooks are different from ordinary keyboards (eg. caps lock key became the search key), and that is not a problem for me. My question is that the "enter" key on the product photos on the websites and company sites are horizontal, but the enter key I got on all 3 of the chromebooks was vertical (see my photos). The left lower corner "shift" key is a small rectangle, instead of a large rectangle. All 3 chromebooks that I have purchased are laid out like that. It is quite troublesome for me to type because these keys are now smaller and easily to be mis-typed, and I need to reach farther to hit them.

Does anyone know why they are like that? Is that a difference due to Canada products vs. US products? 2 of the chromebooks I purchased were from bestbuy.ca, and 1 was from costco.ca.

Thanks guys!

Derek
Images
  • IMG_20210510_123606__01.jpg
  • LenovoChromebookFlex5-13-2020__3_.jpeg
5 replies
Apr 18, 2017
743 posts
1472 upvotes
Yep, Canada (bilingual) vs US layout.

Generally, if the model number from the vendor says 'CA', it will have a bilingual keyboard and 'US' for US layout.

...it's incredibly frustrating.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4487 posts
4653 upvotes
GTA
Haha yes, exactly, I hate this too! It's our bilingual default. I find it frustrating because I wanted to buy a keyboard anti-spill cover for my Acer Chromebook, but the key layout is different (such as Enter). Very frustrating, so I gave up.
I think if you really want the US layout that badly, order a from a US-specific site that will deliver to Canada, or try one of those off-lease places as they might be getting US computer stock.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Jan 3, 2015
9 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thank you for explaining guys. I saw the Chromebook photos posted by the buyers on amazon uses the US keyboards. May be because the source is not from Canada. I will look into that. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3371 posts
808 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
bilingual keyboards. The bane of buying in in canada.

somehow the lenovo chormebooks ordered from shoppers drug mart website are the "normal" US keybaard. i was very happy
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13600 upvotes
I've returned quite a number of notebooks over this very issue.

I don't understand what's so hard about using a US English layout but Fn some of the keys for French.
Why screw with the layout just to piss off a bunch of people?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.