• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2018 12:25 pm
[OP]
Nov 27, 2018
178 posts
338 upvotes

Chromebook purchase

Hey guys! Just saw on Walmarts new boxing day flyer a Chromebook 14" by Lenovo. 4gb RAM and 32gb Hd for $229 (they say $70 off).

Is this a good deal or what? Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1250 posts
494 upvotes
Victoria
Tpzyyy wrote: Hey guys! Just saw on Walmarts new boxing day flyer a Chromebook 14" by Lenovo. 4gb RAM and 32gb Hd for $229 (they say $70 off).
Do you have a link to the flyer or item? I'm not seeing it in the flyer by maybe I'm looking at an old flyer.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2018
178 posts
338 upvotes
MikeyCanuck wrote: Do you have a link to the flyer or item? I'm not seeing it in the flyer by maybe I'm looking at an old flyer.
OMG, so sorry, it's on bestbuys flyer on their chromebook sale page.

Although I just looked at the walmart one and its bigger and from Acer for the same price basically
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1250 posts
494 upvotes
Victoria
The Lenovo is definitely an interesting option for a 14" at $229. I picked up the 14" Acer from Costco. While I definitely like the full HD screen on the Acer, I'm not sure it's worth an $80 premium, and lack of USB-C and an SD card slot vs. the Lenovo.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14714 posts
4834 upvotes
Montreal
Is the keyboard English or French Canadian?
My last and final digital game I purchased at PSN from those Sony Devils was on November 22, 2020 - Ban that Sorny!
Dec 3, 2004
199 posts
21 upvotes
They are all bilingual keyboards. If someone can find one that is US English I would be interested... really like the Acer model chrome book. I returned 2 that had bilingual keyboards. When in doubt, it’s billingual.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1250 posts
494 upvotes
Victoria
notoriousbigdan wrote: They are all bilingual keyboards.
This seems the case for any Chromebook bought from a Canadian retailer doesn't it. Someone on another thread posted that the keyboard for some models could be replaced. There was a link to a replacement for the Acer from Costco for about $20USD I think, though it shipped from overseas. Seems a reasonable alternative vs. trying to order a Chromebook from a US retailer and having to deal with the shipping/duties roulette. I'll see if I can find the link.

Here's the post:
Angultra wrote: On many laptops you can buy the US English kb and replace it; I've done it before and the first thing I check if buying a bilingual one.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-For-Acer-Ch ... 3319881899
Dec 3, 2004
199 posts
21 upvotes
MikeyCanuck wrote: This seems the case for any Chromebook bought from a Canadian retailer doesn't it. Someone on another thread posted that the keyboard for some models could be replaced. There was a link to a replacement for the Acer from Costco for about $20USD I think, though it shipped from overseas. Seems a reasonable alternative vs. trying to order a Chromebook from a US retailer and having to deal with the shipping/duties roulette. I'll see if I can find the link.

Here's the post:
I contacted Acer support with this question and asked if they had a part I could order to swap my keyboard with us english. They said they are not replaceable on this unit (bilingual for us english). The chromebook I had purchased had a loose power adapter port and they mentioned they would service it and I'd have to send it in. I asked if they could service it and send me back the equivalent model with a us keyboard instead of bilingual - they said no. I wound up returning the acer chromebook because of this.

I'm sure you could try and replace the keyboard yourself with this ebay item. The problem is it most likely voids the warranty. I haven't found any posts where someone does this from a bilingual to us keyboard - typically only like for like (replacing due to dead keys).

I'll be in the states in the next month so will swing by some stores and see what chromebooks are available. That might be my best option since I'm targeting the Acer model specifically and need that us english KB. Lenovo and Dell chromebook models might offer the us english option from their stores but not crazy about those chromebooks.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1250 posts
494 upvotes
Victoria
notoriousbigdan wrote: I contacted Acer support with this question and asked if they had a part I could order to swap my keyboard with us english.
Thanks for the follow up. It's a shame we don't really have the option on all brands/models. In the end, it's for my daughter and she's used to the French layout from school chromebooks. So while it irks me... it's not make or break for me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)