Chromebook for student entering grade 10

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2020 11:30 am
[OP]
Jul 6, 2020
8 posts
8 upvotes

Chromebook for student entering grade 10

My son had just finished grade nine and we had planned on getting him his first computer for a graduation present and also to use as he enters High School.

Schools use the Google environment and as such a Chromebook makes sense.

With covid-19 there was an obvious run on Chromebooks and availability, selection, and price have been a bit disappointing.

I thought I would ask the much smarter people of this forum for advice. So far the two best options I have found are at the following links. My son is a big kid and therefore is looking at the 14 inch size Chromebook over the smaller 11 or 12 inch size to accommodate his large mitts!

I'm also not sure where I can check to see how many years of updates are available for whatever model we purchase - wondering if anyone has insights on that as well.

https://www.costco.ca/asus-c423na-rh01t ... 57745.html

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... r=PLP_Reco

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!
32 replies
Jul 12, 2017
116 posts
242 upvotes
You posted in HOT DEALS.

Those are AMAZING chromebooks, you should buy both. /thread
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1212 posts
2202 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Don't buy him a Chromebook. Anything but a chromebook. Get him a Windows laptop (ideally Lenovo) or a MacBook. Schools only use chromebooks as they provide the very basics needs very cost effectively. As a consumer, its a poor investiment for a student. They have much more to learn from a Windows or Mac. Don't waste your money on a chromebook unless your budget is super tight.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2764 posts
1319 upvotes
Toronto
I agree. Don't get a Chromebook. Your son will benefit a lot more from a Windows laptop. They are so much more useful. A Chromebook is only good for people who are surfing the web and checking emails.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Nov 18, 2016
206 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
I disagree with the above advice . It wont run Crysis, But it will meet everyday needs of a student. Plus with linux support and App store support, you can load up a bunch of cool stuff on it. Like flappy birds or Vim.
But, if your kid is into gaming, do get him a windows laptop.
and if your kid is into looking cool, a macbook air.
Nov 18, 2016
206 posts
240 upvotes
Toronto
fordmaple wrote: Engineers (in this case an engineering student) don't use chromebooks.....why waste time, money and the learning experience on a chromebook.
OP said Grade 10 .
[OP]
Jul 6, 2020
8 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks - first sorry for posting in wrong forum - very newbie. Yes going into Grade 10 (high school in Alberta). Not planning on him gaming on computer - he does some Xbox, but is mainly a sports kid (tougher to do in Covid....). For school everything is google classroom. He has been using the house Mac which has not been great with google classroom . We were looking at spending $300 - $400 on the basis that this would get him through 3 years of High School and he would need something different for post-secondary.

The HP looks interesting, but much shorter battery life, I suppose will run Google Classroom pretty well?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2764 posts
1319 upvotes
Toronto
msimons636689081818785752 wrote: Thanks - first sorry for posting in wrong forum - very newbie. Yes going into Grade 10 (high school in Alberta). Not planning on him gaming on computer - he does some Xbox, but is mainly a sports kid (tougher to do in Covid....). For school everything is google classroom. He has been using the house Mac which has not been great with google classroom . We were looking at spending $300 - $400 on the basis that this would get him through 3 years of High School and he would need something different for post-secondary.

The HP looks interesting, but much shorter battery life, I suppose will run Google Classroom pretty well?
My son was able to access Google Classroom through a browser (in Windows) at https://classroom.google.com. Your son just has to log into his (school) Gmail account and then he can access everything.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6283 posts
6582 upvotes
GTA
Newer Windows laptops should run Chrome well enough. The advantage of a Chromebook is battery life, and in a some instances weight/portability.
I have a Windows laptop and a Chromebook. If you are pretty confident your child only needs a Chromebook, then don't be afraid to purchase one. I would use a Chromebook over my much more powerful Windows laptop any day if I am simply surfing, checking email, or just working on Google Apps. Its like driving your fully loaded Cadillac SUV instead of using your scooter when you just want to go to the corner store to pick up milk.
I will say that if you find a really good deal on a laptop, like a new one as cheap as a Chromebook, that will work just as well too.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Jul 6, 2020
8 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks - yes, still leaning towards Chromebook, thought I do understand and appreciate the differences. If anyone know of better choices than I have linked, please let me know. The Lenovo - touchscreen, HD, backlit keyboard all make it attractive, whereas the Asus seems to have a better processor (?) plus Costco to stand behind it(?).

Thoughts?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6283 posts
6582 upvotes
GTA
msimons636689081818785752 wrote: Thanks - yes, still leaning towards Chromebook, thought I do understand and appreciate the differences. If anyone know of better choices than I have linked, please let me know. The Lenovo - touchscreen, HD, backlit keyboard all make it attractive, whereas the Asus seems to have a better processor (?) plus Costco to stand behind it(?).

Thoughts?
I'd lean toward the Costco Asus with Intel processor myself, but they both seem comparable. It would be most ideal if you could see them in person to try out, covid issues notwithstanding. I can't suggest anything cheaper because like you said, there's a bit of a shortage right now.
c'mon get happy!
Jun 10, 2006
473 posts
136 upvotes
Here is a page mentioning the support duration for various Chromebook/box models:

Auto Update Policy

There are LOTS of great models out there, so you should have lots of choices depending on the features you are looking for. Amazon is another place you can check. This page provides good info to compare with:

Chromebook Specs

If your son will need any Windows-specific software, then a Chromebook would not be the right choice. But if most/all of what he needs to do can be done within a browser, it is a great choice -- absolutely minimal overhead 'maintaining' the operating system itself -- compared to Windows. As others have mentioned, Linux and Android capability provide even more flexibility.

I own many Chromebooks and Chromeboxes. Some I have left in their original states, and others (no longer supported by Google) I have modified e.g. install full Linux distro, replace with a 'newer' version of ChromeOS, etc.. Ask any other questions you want! :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5078 posts
3324 upvotes
Chromebook +1
Biggest thing is battery life as there will be days where you will forget to charge it. Instant on is awesome, something a Windows laptop struggles to do for all these years.
Nov 29, 2011
152 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver
If you are decided on a chromebook might I suggest this model available online an instore at Costco.

https://www.costco.ca/acer-cb315-3h-c67 ... 57426.html

It is a slightly bigger screen with 1080p resolution and metal construction. You give up touchscreen for a better processor & speakers and most importantly FHD screen. My kid has been using the 14" model for the last 3 years for school with no complaints.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4530 posts
1097 upvotes
Toronto
To me, the key things to look for in a Chromebook are 32 GB of storage, 4 GB of RAM, and a "proper" processor. I think either of the two that were listed by OP would be good, but the Lenovo has the edge by virtue of its higher-resolution screen.

I've used both Chromebooks and Windows laptops for many years. I find that what many people miss about Chromebooks is that the Windows alternatives in the same price range are usually underpowered, have short battery lives, or are otherwise built to a fairly low spec. My experience is that this type of Windows laptop "show its age" much more quickly than Chromebooks do.

For a computer meant for HS student use, when buying new, I think a good Chromebook is a better option than an ultra-low-end Windows PC. If used is OK, a refurb mid-tier Windows laptop can be a good option, but they are often in short supply, and could also have a big battery-life issue.

It is true that you can't do things like heavy photo editing or video production on a Chromebook, but (a) most HS students aren't involved in that kind of thing anyway, and (b) many ultra-low-tier Windows laptops in the same price range will struggle with those tasks as well.

A further advantage with Chromebooks is that security (virus protection, recovery from disaster, etc.) is much simpler.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2020
8 posts
8 upvotes
I really appreciate all the positive feedback and advice. In terms of the Acer model I did take a look at it, but for whatever reason he finds the 15.6 in be a bit too big and bulky.

I am probably overthinking all of this as I'm sure he will be thrilled with whatever computer he gets.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3922 posts
2851 upvotes
Calgary
If it were me, I would go for neither of what u posted but instead go for the Lenovo Flex 5 Chromebook. It's a $140 or so more than what you posted but I feel its worth the extra dosh. Here's why...

1. 2in1 hybrid with touchscreen & stylus/pen support
2. i3 10th gen comet lake cpu
3. FHD 300nits display
4. 8 yrs AUP meaning Google's guaranteed 8yrs update support
5. a fairly svelte 1.35kg

The only thing I would want is 8gb ram instead of 4gb but it is what it is. That said, 4gb should be sufficient for all his school needs & then some. This is what I would do if it were my decision.

ps: Why are peeps downvoting a post asking for advise on which chromebook to buy for his son??? I don't believe nor have I read that OP is recommending anyone else to purchase nor is he advising someone what to purchase for their son. His Son His Money His Choice no?
Last edited by scotsum on Jul 8th, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11094 posts
4339 upvotes
"Google environment"? that can me anything, maybe they just use Google for searching. Get him a Windows laptop. Why are you so set on a Chromebook?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6283 posts
6582 upvotes
GTA
blexann wrote: "Google environment"? that can me anything, maybe they just use Google for searching. Get him a Windows laptop. Why are you so set on a Chromebook?
He explains in a later post they use Google Classroom. As much as they are useful, a Windows notebook isn't a necessary solution to everything. Chromebooks enjoy several advantages over Windows laptops.
c'mon get happy!