• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 11:50 am
[OP]
Feb 13, 2017
316 posts
145 upvotes
Mississauga

Chromebook for young kids

I am looking to buy a Chromebook for my young kids for basic tasks like reading, assignments, google classroom, etc.

My budget is $300. I would like something that will last quite a while and a nice screen would be a benefit. A touch screen would be nice but based on my research it might not fit the budget.

I am looking at these two:

ACER $299
https://www.costco.ca/acer-cb315-3h-c67 ... 57426.html
- the Costco return policy would come in handy if something went wrong

HP $299
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp ... e/14481355

Ideally I would have wanted a Lenovo as I’ve heard great stuff on the longevity, but I didn’t find any in my budget.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.
5 replies
Nov 21, 2017
92 posts
81 upvotes
First off, let me say the Chromebooks are a great lightweight option for young kids or for anyone in general who does very lightweight computing. I got my mom an Acer last Christmas for around $300 and she loves it for Facebook, e-mails, etc.

Out of the two you posted, I personally would go with the HP. The SSD is a faster more robust flash storage option in comparison to the eMMC on the ACER. Also, you get 64GB. The other thing you need to consider is size. The HP is 14" which is slightly smaller than the standard laptop screen size of 15.6" which is what the ACER is. Both will do the job just fine, but I think the HP has slightly better specs.

Another great thing about the Chromebooks is the OS is super easy to use because everything is app based. Also if you required more storage than 64GB you can easily buy cheap thumb drives or external hard drives, but I highly doubt your kids will be storing much data on these.

Good luck!
[OP]
Feb 13, 2017
316 posts
145 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks so much for your input.

Would you say that $299 is a reasonable price for the HP?

BitShark92 wrote: First off, let me say the Chromebooks are a great lightweight option for young kids or for anyone in general who does very lightweight computing. I got my mom an Acer last Christmas for around $300 and she loves it for Facebook, e-mails, etc.

Out of the two you posted, I personally would go with the HP. The SSD is a faster more robust flash storage option in comparison to the eMMC on the ACER. Also, you get 64GB. The other thing you need to consider is size. The HP is 14" which is slightly smaller than the standard laptop screen size of 15.6" which is what the ACER is. Both will do the job just fine, but I think the HP has slightly better specs.

Another great thing about the Chromebooks is the OS is super easy to use because everything is app based. Also if you required more storage than 64GB you can easily buy cheap thumb drives or external hard drives, but I highly doubt your kids will be storing much data on these.

Good luck!
Nov 21, 2017
92 posts
81 upvotes
Arias1619 wrote: Thanks so much for your input.

Would you say that $299 is a reasonable price for the HP?
I think it is a great price considering the SSD + 64GB storage capacity which is not very common for the Chromebooks. Typically you see 32GB and the cheaper eMMC flash storage option, which is just fine but not up to par with the speedier SSD. Although, looking again I see the title shows it as an eMMC and the specs reporting an SSD, so not sure exactly which one it is. Regardless, $299.99 is still a great price for this model in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1767 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Arias1619 wrote: I would like something that will last quite a while
Just to let you know, Chromebooks will generally "last" fewer years than a standard Windows computer due to their limited software update period. Chromebooks generally have a ~6 year software update period from the time the manufacturer announced the model and not from the time that it is sold/purchased. This means that you can purchase a BNIB Chromebook which has been sitting on the shelf/warehouse unused/unsold for ~3 years and your Chromebook will only have ~3 years of updates remaining on it.

When I tell people this, the question that I get asked most is "Can I still use the Chromebook after it can no longer do software updates?". My answer is yes, you can. Just like there are people still using Windows 95 computers and Windows XP computers. However, you won't receive updates and since Chromebooks rely heavily on the Chrome browser, eventually the Chrome browser will no longer be supported by the website that you're visiting because it is considered too old. When going to such a web page, you'll get a message telling you that your web browser isn't supported and you will need to update but you won't be able to update. Not being able to get updates also means not getting security updates.

That being said, I still find Chromebooks to be great. I have one Chromebook which still physically works but no longer receives updates and I can no longer access certain websites with it but I still continue to use it for "lite browsing". I have another higher end Chromebook which still has ~3 years of updates left on it and works great.

The thing I like about Chromebooks is that they start up faster than a Windows/Mac computer and they can be easily reinitialized (I'm not referring to backups/restores but you can't reinitialize a Windows/Mac computer in under 30 minutes but this is easily done with a Chromebook). The time it takes to reinitialize back to default OS, makes them perfect for children and senior citizens (or anyone who isn't technology savy). The battery life is also generally superior to what I get with my Windows laptop.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2017
316 posts
145 upvotes
Mississauga
Thank you for your input.

After some more research I decided to get the Lenovo C330 as it’s a better build and has a touch screen.

It’s on sale at Costco for $349. Based on my research it can go as low as $249 when on sale at the Lenovo website.

lmcjipo wrote: Just to let you know, Chromebooks will generally "last" fewer years than a standard Windows computer due to their limited software update period. Chromebooks generally have a ~6 year software update period from the time the manufacturer announced the model and not from the time that it is sold/purchased. This means that you can purchase a BNIB Chromebook which has been sitting on the shelf/warehouse unused/unsold for ~3 years and your Chromebook will only have ~3 years of updates remaining on it.

When I tell people this, the question that I get asked most is "Can I still use the Chromebook after it can no longer do software updates?". My answer is yes, you can. Just like there are people still using Windows 95 computers and Windows XP computers. However, you won't receive updates and since Chromebooks rely heavily on the Chrome browser, eventually the Chrome browser will no longer be supported by the website that you're visiting because it is considered too old. When going to such a web page, you'll get a message telling you that your web browser isn't supported and you will need to update but you won't be able to update. Not being able to get updates also means not getting security updates.

That being said, I still find Chromebooks to be great. I have one Chromebook which still physically works but no longer receives updates and I can no longer access certain websites with it but I still continue to use it for "lite browsing". I have another higher end Chromebook which still has ~3 years of updates left on it and works great.

The thing I like about Chromebooks is that they start up faster than a Windows/Mac computer and they can be easily reinitialized (I'm not referring to backups/restores but you can't reinitialize a Windows/Mac computer in under 30 minutes but this is easily done with a Chromebook). The time it takes to reinitialize back to default OS, makes them perfect for children and senior citizens (or anyone who isn't technology savy). The battery life is also generally superior to what I get with my Windows laptop.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)