Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1829 posts
1542 upvotes

Chromecast (1st Generation) Firmware

I am thinking of rooting my 'virgin' Chromecast 1st Generation but I am unsure how to proceed further without 'bricking' the device.

Does anyone know the firmware version on Canadian Chromecast (1st G) with Serial No:431201xxxxx Model: H2G2-42 CA?

All help are appreciated.

Thanks.
A QUIET MAN IS A THINKING MAN.
A QUIET WOMAN IS A DANGEROUS WOMAN

My Missus said " I don't tell you how to spend your $$, Don't tell me how to spend your $$."
1 reply
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
Probably not possible.

There have been two rooting vulnerabilities discovered for the Chromecast 1 since its introduction. Both of them were patched within days by Google. Since the Chromecast checks for firmware updates and does a forced update every time it goes online, any unit that was connected to the internet before being rooted lost that vulnerability. The only people able to take advantage were those who obtained a new-in-box Chromecast with old factory firmware still on it that had never been connected to the internet. All of those were cleared out of distribution channels long ago. In case you do have a really old Chromecast that has never been connected, you can find the list of serial numbers that can be rooted with the original hack here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2537022. It's possible that yours might be in the hackable range, but only if it has never been connected to the internet.

The second rooting hack was was a year later, but also more difficult because it required special hardware - a programmable USB interface to intercept the device boot sequence.

In any case, the only real benefit of rooting was to be able to specify your own DNS instead of Google DNS, but you can force that in your router anyway.