[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18975 posts
1987 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

–. -

-
Last edited by Supercooled on Apr 1st, 2019 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Share:
123 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15479 posts
16701 upvotes
Retirement is a failure mode in most folks. Retiring from participation in the community, participation in organizations, and meaningful activities is resignation to a hollow life. Not everyone is cut out for a more aspirational life though, and all the encouragement in the world often won't change that.

Don't occupy yourself with how your parents spend their twilight, they've found their equilibrium, make the most of your own life instead.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21131 posts
23336 upvotes
Toronto
Totally depends on the person. My dad is retired and loving it. Lives in BC and skis most every day during the winter. Summer he travels all over the world and runs, bikes, hikes. In fact, at age 70+ he is in better shape than many people far younger. He's got a decent gov't pension so that helps ease any financial worries too.

My mom is retired as well and very active. For her it is traveling too. Art classes with her friends and plenty of entertaining at home. She also really enjoys gardening + visits to the YMCA for fitness classes.

Honestly both of them are quite inspiring. Any time I start to feel super lazy they make me realize that time is short so I should be active (both mentally and physically).

Here are some of the places where people live the longest. Some reasons are obvious like exercise and healthy diet. Also key are sense of community and purpose.

http://time.com/5160475/blue-zones-healthy-long-lives/

Volunteering can be very beneficial or even getting a job again. Here in Ontario many Universities/Colleges waive all tuition charges for seniors, that's another great way to stay sharp mentally.

Nice, @Dealmaker1945 showing us by example a great way to truly savour retirement, and RFD deals ;) , at the same time
Last edited by sprung on Mar 21st, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35467 posts
9489 upvotes
Ottawa
Retirement is being able to do whatever you want, whenever you want and how hard you want to do it.
Some people use the time they have to stay very active all the time while others choose what they want to do and when. You cannot compare one person to another because what they choose to do with their time is their own.
There is also a vast difference between those that planned for retirement and those that were forced into retirement (for downsizing or medical or other reasons). Not being prepared for a dramatic lifestyle change is a very alarming thing, regardless if it is retirement or other reasons.
One retired guy told me that today, he did absolutely nothing and tomorrow, he will finish it :)
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1601 posts
1175 upvotes
GTA West
Here is my report from retirement - we are several years in.

Haven't been to the Walmart except when I get alerted to a super special deal on RFD.

Yeah, I watch a lot of TV and sometimes binge on a Netflix series - I never have to worry about getting up early for work. I went through a bunch of boring documentaries about the Mayans in December. So we decided to go to Mexico and see the ruins for ourselves last month! We're now looking forward to an India tour we have booked later this year. But we would have lots of cheaper options closer to home if we couldn't afford that. Being retired, I have unlimited time to look for deals and plan our trips. Last-minute, no problem! I've been looking at driving trips to Virginia and Washington this summer.

No Frills had a good deal on steaks a while ago, we went right away to get the best ones before the young shoppers got at them, and I cleaned up my barbecue for our first steak dinner of the summer season. Our working neighbours still have their grill covers on.

Sleeping - yup, when you young whippersnappers were scraping your windshields to get to work in a snowstorm, we just looked out of the window and went back to bed. We decided not to go to the Y that day.

Our local mall had a major makeover recently and it is a great place to go for a walk and linger over a Flat White at Starbucks when walking on the street is unpleasant. We rarely go on a weekend when stores are busy and people have to line up to checkout.

When we go to the YMCA during the day, it is full of older people working out and doing rehab assignments. Do you know something? They are much more pleasant and courteous than the younger folks who can't be bothered to clean the machines after using them.

Socially, we are more active than before we retired - we have the time to volunteer and participate. My wife is the social one and draws me in to all kinds of stuff.

From time to time we go downtown Toronto and I walk through the hallways of my working years, like BCE place. The people look exactly like they used to, but now they all have cellphones pasted to their cheeks. I recognize all the workplace types, the strutting bosses, the ass-kissers and young women being mentored LOL etc. While it was exciting at one time, I have no nostalgia for that life now.

The main issue with retirement is health - you do feel the shadows lengthen and spend a lot more on doctor's appointments, and watch friends and relatives sicken and die. Fitness is an ongoing battle - you lose muscle tone more quickly and it takes longer to get it back.

Well, enough of this. I have to go set up my grow lights to start my seedlings. We rent a 40 x 30 garden plot where we plant, socialize, and harvest organic produce for several months.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1950 posts
847 upvotes
HK
My neighbors are retired, have a trailer and have been traveling the world. Others I know, volunteer abroad, babysit grandchildren etc... Retirement, just like life/career...is what you make of it.

Some ppl have a good life, others, not as much.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
golf everyday...florida, las vegas multiple times through the winter...then summer and golf begins again..race track on weekends...living my dream..no labouring to work...if there is snowstorm...i hibernate for a few days
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10019 posts
1494 upvotes
Some retirees can only afford to do that or work.

It's really important to continue to have purpose after work or at least plan and understand what life might be like.

I heard many retirees do end up going back to work or finding other work because boredom set in 5-10 years in.

I hope to be in good shape enough to continue to do what we love and just enjoy life when we get there.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18975 posts
1987 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
McKinsey wrote:

Some ppl have a good life, others, not as much.
Ain't that the truth. I guess that's probably the linchpin to both happiness and misery.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5130 posts
1932 upvotes
Toronto
Other than things like more frequent medical issues (which these days are generally easier to manage), there's nothing really that differentiates retirement from just having a lot of free time. How do you spend your free time? That's up to you.

Personally I think you could see non-retirement as even more boring. Every day I have to spend at least half my waking hours being somewhere and doing something I so don't want to be or do, that someone has to give me a bunch of money to persuade me to be there and do it. I've never felt that work is a good "purpose" at all, it's trading some hours of your day so that you can enjoy your remaining hours more. It all depends on how you use those hours.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9235 posts
1385 upvotes
Let just say if you are a broke pensioner you ate going to sleep and watch tv. If you are well off you will travel and so the snow bird thing. That's reality.

Money buys you fun. No fun to be broke.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2967 upvotes
Nice sweeping generalization thread title based on a couple of anecdotes. :facepalm:

I agree with the sentiment that I do what I want, when I want, if I want, and go where I want and there's nothing at all boring about any of that.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11409 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
spike1128 wrote: Let just say if you are a broke pensioner you ate going to sleep and watch tv. If you are well off you will travel and so the snow bird thing. That's reality.

Mostly true for sure. But my immigrant dad, who's frugal and grew up 'poorer' loves saving money and doing stuff around the house. Sure I'm sure he'd be happier travelling, but he goes for his morning walk everyday, loves getting the cheapest cuts of meat and even fruits/veggies on sale (including damaged ones), and will spend the day cutting, trimming, etc, to make large, often stewed and slow cooked dishes. Gardening in the summer with alot of vegetables.

He waits every weekend for my daughters to visit (5 and 3), gives us alot of the food, etc. At 77, will roll around in the snow with them and says his motivation for living is to see them go off to university. Also says he's unbelievably grateful for the life he's had and immigrating to Canada, where pension and medical/RX is provided for seniors (ran a small business so no benefits) despite not having much disposable or additional income. He's in the minority I would think as a 'broke' pensioner. He's done alot of writing getting published back in his home country as well as in newspapers. Increased correspondence with professors, industry ppl, etc. In the process of writing his 'great' book that he's planned all his life. He hasn't travalled at all since 1990 when his dad passed away so is not conditioned to travel which helps I guess.

My mom on the other hand just hasn't adapted as well as she's worked all her life and isn't really capable of enjoying (always worried about something, not as regimented in exercising).
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43391 posts
6636 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
spike1128 wrote: Let just say if you are a broke pensioner you ate going to sleep and watch tv. If you are well off you will travel and so the snow bird thing. That's reality.

Depends how you spend your time.
My parents do a lot of stuff that doesnt cost money. I guess they’re lucky to be in a nice neighborhood with a lot going on.
They walk to the beach
Walk to the danforth or queen st to shop random foods @ random markets. Or stop off @ a cafe. This doesnt cost much. Coffee and baguette\pastry a few times a week is only $20.
Go to all the Toronto festivals. Free.
Also spend a lot of weekends with their son’s and grand kids.
Occassional road trips with aunties and uncles.
Doesnt seem too bad...except boring in the winter.

I think this lifestyle is achievable to most.
But generationally... they attained something thats impossible for people to achieve today. They bought a home in a desireable area of toronto with dual minimum wage salary. My bro’s even helped out. It was that kind of immigrant family dynamic.
It wasnt always a pretty area, but now it is. And lots going on in this corner of the city. And downtown is only a 20-30 minute street car ride away.

Also your will to do things.
Hey they like trekking to high park to smell the flowers for a day. Then having coffee and bagels somewhere.
Those are all free and very cheap!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5673 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
Go to south east asia and you know the rest..