Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10696 posts
2333 upvotes

[CIBC] CIBC Aerogold fee waiver $120 off with 15000 Aeroplan Points

*Update*
there a separate promo, but this does not need you to spend 500 dollars in first 3 months. and you will get your 15K aeroplan on first statement upon first purchase (before statement is generated)

Same goes for Aventura *confirmed*

This might be the last time they can offer this, as rumour has it, Aeroplan might be cutting tied with CIBC later this year.

but for now, they are running this promotion for the last time.

can be seen here from last time
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/cibc-aer ... 1163350/2/

looks like another internal promotion only.

Just got my application today. :) through Wayne from CIBC again.

*P.S. for those who applied last year, be sure to remember to cancel your card before the second year comes through**
512 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10696 posts
2333 upvotes
forgot to include info. lol

Wayne: 416 228 3333 (ext 4977) for Torotonian, 1 800 465 2422 (ext 4977) for rest of Canada.. I've gotten cards from him before without being haggled to buy payment protectors. Very highly recommendend by all RFDer.

let him know you learn it from Bob, already told him to expect people. lol
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
3118 posts
1060 upvotes
Can't cancel until my Aeroplan points come through! ;)
Sep 2, 2010
816 posts
5336 upvotes
Mississauga
I was just thinking this morning that I have to cancel my Aerogold from last year's promo. So what's the best way to approach this - cancel my current card and then wait a week and ask for a new card with the new 15K promo? Not sure they'd be too happy to do that...
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1355 posts
748 upvotes
I checked my account about 2 weeks too late, and was charged the renewal fee already. :(
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7733 posts
4395 upvotes
Montreal
I prefer the Amex Personal Golds with 20k points when you signup, AMEX requires total $500 spending in 3 months, but it's not too much. :)

However, nothing stops someone to get both, so that's what I did early this year, LOL. I cancelled 3-4 months after, just to make sure not to be close to the renewal date.
Jan 25, 2007
341 posts
119 upvotes
Last year I walked into CIBC on unrelated biz the very same day I had called in to cancel my aerogold. The dude I talked to said I should take advantage of the waived fee, and insisted he sign me up right away. There were no complications to that rapid resigning.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25712 posts
7614 upvotes
where I belong
Wow, June is a good month for CC churn

Aerogold 15K Aeroplan with 1st year free << I just cancelled last weekend, will apply it again :)

MBNA SC or 0% - $100 cashback from GCR << applied via RFD $100 cashback, will apply again via GCR

AMEX - this one is as usual - 20K for AMEX Gold after $500 spending, or 60K for AMEX Platinum after $1000 spending (instead of $3000)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Aug 30, 2009
262 posts
85 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: Wow, June is a good month for CC churn
AMEX - this one is as usual - 20K for AMEX Gold after $500 spending, or 60K for AMEX Platinum after $1000 spending (instead of $3000)
Is there a way to waive the annual fee for the AMEX cards? website says platinum fee is $500/yr.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1660 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
Drizzt wrote: I checked my account about 2 weeks too late, and was charged the renewal fee already. :(
Not a problem at all, my gf cancelled late last year and was told that the renewal fee is only pro-rated, so you still can get 11/12 months back. Call in to cancel.
kNZA wrote: Last year I walked into CIBC on unrelated biz the very same day I had called in to cancel my aerogold. The dude I talked to said I should take advantage of the waived fee, and insisted he sign me up right away. There were no complications to that rapid resigning.
So you walk into CIBC and signed up again, and then you call in same day to cancel the old one? I guess that would work as the branch's paper will take awhile to get to the actual application center.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1660 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
speedrun wrote: Is there a way to waive the annual fee for the AMEX cards? website says platinum fee is $500/yr.
I thought platinum is $699
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25712 posts
7614 upvotes
where I belong
speedrun wrote: Is there a way to waive the annual fee for the AMEX cards? website says platinum fee is $500/yr.
There's no way the fee is waived. This card is not for everyone

Aeroplan Platinum is $499/year - this is a Credit Card
regular Platinum is $699/year - charge card - 50K standard offer, 60K via referral

Please visit AMEX site to compare
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... pc_viewcrd
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Sep 6, 2010
784 posts
94 upvotes
Waterloo
I still have my Aerogold from last July. Do you think Wayne would waive the annual fee one more time? I'll pass on the points as I don't want to submit a new application.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4933 posts
2027 upvotes
Winnipeg
Drizzt wrote: I checked my account about 2 weeks too late, and was charged the renewal fee already. :(
You should be able to cancel within 30 days of your annual fee being posted and get the whole amount refunded. Over a month and its prorated.
May 26, 2013
85 posts
16 upvotes
I was going to post this but kingofwale beat me to it. :-)

All you have to do is walk in, ask to apply for the Aerogold card, and ask them to waive the first year annual fee. They should say no problem.

If your income is over $60k, you can apply for both the regular Aerogold and the Infinte Aerogold in one shot to get 30k Aeroplan points. They will waive the fees on both.

You can also get some points by signing up for an Unlimited Chequing account and holding onto it for 3 months. Not sure if it's 5k or 15k points right now, but you can do the math.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1660 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
sunkissedstranger wrote: I was going to post this but kingofwale beat me to it. :-)

All you have to do is walk in, ask to apply for the Aerogold card, and ask them to waive the first year annual fee. They should say no problem.

If your income is over $60k, you can apply for both the regular Aerogold and the Platinum Aerogold in one shot to get 30k Aeroplan points. They will waive the fees on both.

You can also get some points by signing up for an Unlimited Chequing account and holding onto it for 3 months. Not sure if it's 5k or 15k points right now, but you can do the math.
I have the Aerogold Infinite now, can I walk in and ask for the gold instead? I never heard anybody can apply for both aerogold and aerogold infinite together - you sure ?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
3503 posts
2706 upvotes
GTA
sunkissedstranger wrote: I was going to post this but kingofwale beat me to it. :-)

If your income is over $60k, you can apply for both the regular Aerogold and the Platinum Aerogold in one shot to get 30k Aeroplan points. They will waive the fees on both.

https://www.cibc.com/ca/visa/dividend-p ... -card.html
No longer accepting applications for the CIBC Dividend Platinum Card. Product information is for existing cardholders only.
Unless you meant a different "Platinum" card
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
2726 posts
2070 upvotes
still waiting for aeroplan star challenge deposit.(CIBC extra 5k points) then cancel and reapply
May 26, 2013
85 posts
16 upvotes
Sorry, I meant the Infinite Aerogold.

And I've applied for both cards at once and it worked fine, so I assume others will be able to do so as well. I suggest becoming friendly with the rep and letting him/her know honestly that your primary goal is maximizing your Aeroplan points.
flaming homer wrote: https://www.cibc.com/ca/visa/dividend-p ... -card.html

Unless you meant a different "Platinum" card