Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
CIBC

CIBC Aerogold Visa: 15k welcome bonus points and 1st year fee waived

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2013 12:20 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2049 posts
389 upvotes
Ontario
If you get the card, use it for a few months, then cancel, do you get to keep the aeroplan points?
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
F1ash wrote: The Aerogold is one of the worst 'rewards' cards (and don't even get me started with how bad BMO Airmiles cards are). If you're going to apply for this card, just go for the TD First Class Infinite (fees waived if you keep $5,000 in your chequing account), or else get the Capital One Aspire Travel MasterCard. Otherwise get the Avion and transfer to BA (not as good as before, but good for those of us close to the US border, so we can travel AA cheap)...

you have no idea what you're talking about.

I recently posted a spreadsheet that shows how the Aerogold nets me 14% return whereas the TD infinite card only gets 3.37% return.

it is different for everyone. i'm not interested in redeeming short haul flights in economy to vegas, when you prefer to fly first class across the pacific to asia for "free", aerogold is the answer.

stay out of threads you have no business in please.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
actng wrote: you have no idea what you're talking about.

I recently posted a spreadsheet that shows how the Aerogold nets me 14% return whereas the TD infinite card only gets 3.37% return.

it is different for everyone. i'm not interested in redeeming short haul flights in economy to vegas, when you prefer to fly first class across the pacific to asia for "free", aerogold is the answer.

stay out of threads you have no business in please.

There have been a lot of discussions lately about how the aeroplan has been continuously de-valued recently. It is becoming a poor FF program, or points program.

If the card is free and you get the bonus points, it's good for the bonus points. But if the card is still $120, then the card is not worthwhile. After getting the bonus, the card is NOT very good. Also, not many people are like you, can wait to accumulates and lots of points to redeem for first class tickets. So before you tell others "stay out of threads you have no business in please.", think if that might actually apply to you more.
Sep 15, 2011
213 posts
45 upvotes
If you were to chose between this one and the Amex Gold, what would you go for?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
actng wrote: you have no idea what you're talking about...

Guess you haven't redeemed a ticket in recent years.

For your info, it hasn't been a "free" ticket, for many many years. There are all kinds of taxes and fees added, since many many years ago. There had been some sudden increases in fuel surcharges that got a lot of people fuming. But if you still lived in the era thinking those redemption tickets are "free", you can continue to dream.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
JustAPilot wrote: If you were to chose between this one and the Amex Gold, what would you go for?

Amex Gold.

You can apply thru G C R, and get $60 rebate, in additional to first year free. You can also get double points for gas/grocesory/drugs, and travel -- whereas the CIBC cards get 1.5 points.

But there are cards that get you 2% (and for something 5%) cash back. After the bonus points, or the double points, those 2%+ cashback are actually better.
Jan 13, 2004
607 posts
27 upvotes
For any existing owners of the card, did you try calling to see what they would offer? I've tried in the past and got nowhere, but I'll probably try again and see if they can waive the fees. Or if it's actually allowed, it seems tempting to cancel and reapply...
Arrgh wrote: There have been a lot of discussions lately about how the aeroplan has been continuously de-valued recently. It is becoming a poor FF program, or points program.

If the card is free and you get the bonus points, it's good for the bonus points. But if the card is still $120, then the card is not worthwhile. After getting the bonus, the card is NOT very good. Also, not many people are like you, can wait to accumulates and lots of points to redeem for first class tickets. So before you tell others "stay out of threads you have no business in please.", think if that might actually apply to you more.
So when you say it's not worth it, is it because 1) there are other cards better or 2) you think the $120 erases all the gains you get? For myself, keep in mind I haven't researched too much on other cards, but I find I make up the $120 fairly quickly. At my current rate, probably every 3yrs I should get 75K in points, which nets me an Asia trip with multi-stops (with ~$400 fees and stuff). Doesn't seem too bad imo.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10598 posts
4849 upvotes
Burnaby
actng wrote: you have no idea what you're talking about.

The Aerogold is garbage. If you're using it for Aeroplan miles only, the Aerogold is inferior to all of the following:

Aventura (VISA and MC) has transferable points to Aeroplan 1:1, but gives 1.5x on gas/grocery/drug stores. Every November there's the transfer bonus promos too. Currently no free first year, but they had one back in October.
SPG AmEx has transferable points to Aeroplan 1:1, but gives 5k bonus when you transfer 20k SPG points, and there's been hotel transfer promos twice a year. Free first year and 15k bonus just ended, currently free first year and 10k bonus.
Gold Rewards American Express has transferable points to Aeroplan 1:1, but gives 2x on travel/gas/grocery/drug stores, and has transfer bonuses too. Currently has $60 rebate from GCR and free first year

All have better insurances than the Aerogold, and earn at a higher rate
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
crimsona wrote: The Aerogold is garbage. If you're using it for Aeroplan miles only, the Aerogold is inferior to all of the following:

Aventura (VISA and MC) has transferable points to Aeroplan 1:1, but gives 1.5x on gas/grocery/drug stores. Every November there's the transfer bonus promos too
SPG AmEx has transferable points to Aeroplan 1:1, but gives 5k bonus when you transfer 20k SPG points, and there's been hotel transfer promos twice a year
Gold Rewards American Express has transferable points to Aeroplan 1:1, but gives 2x on travel/gas/grocery/drug stores, and has transfer bonuses too

All have better insurances than the Aerogold, and earn at a higher rate

the AMEX cards are moot since none of the places i shop at take AMEX.

you might have a point on aventura but i have to wait and transfer 10,000 points at a time which for me might mean waiting half a year or so. the 1.5x on gas/grocery/drug stores is not an advantage for aventura, it's the same on the aerogold.

i'm not arguing the aerogold is not the best card. i'm just saying there is no "best" card since it's different for everyone.
Jun 9, 2008
436 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
I tried calling to apply for this card but couldn't get the fee waived. I just said I heard about this promo going on but the lady said I need offer ID and res#.
Guess I'll just stick with my AMEX SPG and Gold Rewards.

Sorry if this was answered in other threads but:

I'm about to be hit with the renewal fee this month for the Gold Rewards. I tried calling to see if they would waive another but he wouldn't budge. I was wondering if I can reapply for the same card (fee waived) and cancel the existing.. would that hurt my credit? Which is better: Amex Gold or SPG?
Aug 12, 2003
568 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
integrity01 wrote: I tried calling to apply for this card but couldn't get the fee waived. I just said I heard about this promo going on but the lady said I need offer ID and res#.
Guess I'll just stick with my AMEX SPG and Gold Rewards.

why not apply through link provided in post #8? [ooops, looks like you need a code]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
J W wrote: So when you say it's not worth it, is it because 1) there are other cards better or 2) you think the $120 erases all the gains you get? For myself, keep in mind I haven't researched too much on other cards, but I find I make up the $120 fairly quickly. At my current rate, probably every 3yrs I should get 75K in points, which nets me an Asia trip with multi-stops (with ~$400 fees and stuff). Doesn't seem too bad imo.

Good question.

The previous posts already explained why the Amex Gold reward card with no fee, and get $60 rebate back, and 15,000 points, is better. The Amex Business gold reward card with $75 rebate and 25,000 points is even better.

==

Remember with the 75,000 points, you'll need to spend close to $56,000 (if spending $6000 on gas/grocery/drug for .5 points more) to get that, if including the 15000 points. You may or may not get the economy seats. It could be more than $400 fees as those are increasing with AE. So that's about $800 or more you're still paying toward the ticket. It's not a "free" ticket.

With a 2% cashback, $56,000 spent gets $1,120 back. This can be close to an econ ticket in low season. It won't be enough for high season. (But in high season it's very difficult to get AE reward seats unless you book way in advance, or may travel in more segments.) When you pay for the ticket, you get the 2% cashback, and reward points for flights -- conservatively would be 10,000 points.

The math doesn't bode well for just collecting just AE points.

An AE point used to be worth roughly 2 cents, years ago. Now it's much less, and just keep on going down, especially considering they are providing less and less reward seats.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
3718 posts
477 upvotes
GTA
asia_le wrote: no reservation id required. jsut call them and say you heard that there is a promotion going on for fee waived

What number did you call, i called the 1800 number and they said I need the 9 digits code in order to process my application.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10983 posts
2915 upvotes
got mine today around 1PM by calling, said that I didn't have to make a purchase and the first year fee will be waived. (planning to call before the first year and cancel).

I was recommended by someone here to talk to a genteman on online banking extension 4977 (Wayne or Waylenn or something) 1 800 465 2422. I left him a message around 1PM and he called me back in about 10 minutes because he was on the call. I told him someone from RFD mentioned about the deal and he said that you don't really need code but you must be a new CIBC aerogold owner (Which I am, had one a couple years back but hasn't had it for a year now) and he read me a bunch of disclosure and it's done.

Can't wait to get mine... Daddy needs his gas giftcards!!!

too bad i can't get the aerogold infiniti card, also free, but needs 60K income. :(
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
3718 posts
477 upvotes
GTA
kingofwale wrote: got mine today around 1PM by calling, said that I didn't have to make a purchase and the first year fee will be waived. (planning to call before the first year and cancel).

I was recommended by someone here to talk to a genteman on online banking extension 4977 (Wayne or Waylenn or something) 1 800 465 2422. I left him a message around 1PM and he called me back in about 10 minutes because he was on the call. I told him someone from RFD mentioned about the deal and he said that you don't really need code but you must be a new CIBC aerogold owner (Which I am, had one a couple years back but hasn't had it for a year now) and he read me a bunch of disclosure and it's done.

too bad i can't get the aerogold infiniti card, also free, but needs 60K income. :(

Thanks to kingofwale. I called Wayne today and he was able to set me up with the aerogold card no problem. Took like 10 minutes to go over some of the disclosure etc... First year is of course waived and will be refunded on your first payment.

It works. Call Wayne everyone. Get that 15,000 free points.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1637 posts
270 upvotes
Been a members for too many years and getting more and more annoyed by the annual fee, considering aeroplan value is not as good as it used to be (more points needed to redeem trips) Any chance of getting the fee waived. I carry a supplementary card too, making it like $200 a year.
Aug 28, 2007
389 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
kingofwale wrote: got mine today around 1PM by calling, said that I didn't have to make a purchase and the first year fee will be waived. (planning to call before the first year and cancel).

Thanks a ton for the info!

whats the deal with the giftcards? you mean buy them at shoppers/esso or whatever get 1.5pts on the purchase and then also get pts when using the giftcards w aeroplan card?
Jan 13, 2004
607 posts
27 upvotes
Arrgh wrote: Remember with the 75,000 points, you'll need to spend close to $56,000 (if spending $6000 on gas/grocery/drug for .5 points more) to get that, if including the 15000 points. You may or may not get the economy seats. It could be more than $400 fees as those are increasing with AE. So that's about $800 or more you're still paying toward the ticket. It's not a "free" ticket.

With a 2% cashback, $56,000 spent gets $1,120 back. This can be close to an econ ticket in low season. It won't be enough for high season. (But in high season it's very difficult to get AE reward seats unless you book way in advance, or may travel in more segments.) When you pay for the ticket, you get the 2% cashback, and reward points for flights -- conservatively would be 10,000 points.
I can't comment on other cards since I haven't researched. But I really don't find the Aerogold as bad as some people here mentioned. If you purchase a ticket normally (i.e. to Asia), you already get 15K in points. If you can put everything on your card (i.e. from work), even more points. And with the points, you can do multicity, which I find costs a lot more if I'm paying for it than if I use points. So generally, within 3 years (say $360 annual fee) you can get a multi-city Asia trip and pay about $400 in fees. That is still a lot cheaper than paying $1500+ for a ticket normally.

On a side note, I'm gonna try to call VISA sometime and see if they can waive my current fees.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2005
1829 posts
121 upvotes
Calgary
Tried to call Wayne but missed the chance to key in his extension. Connected to Card Application deptartment after 2 transfers and got the application done smoothly. Approved for Infinite over the phone.

Thanked OP!
Nov 10, 2006
225 posts
16 upvotes
Error2 wrote: Been a members for too many years and getting more and more annoyed by the annual fee, considering aeroplan value is not as good as it used to be (more points needed to redeem trips) Any chance of getting the fee waived. I carry a supplementary card too, making it like $200 a year.

I was in the same boat...got sick of CC fees.

Decided to switch to SmartCash as my main CC and will change my CIBC Aerogold to a no fee card (I don't want to cancel the card as I'll lose my credit history).

SC has offered me their World version which doesn't have fees. Just waiting for 6months to restart the promo period again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)