Expired Hot Deals

CIBC

CIBC 15% off Costco Gift Cards (Redeem with Points)

  • Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2022 1:07 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 12, 2020
149 posts
242 upvotes

[CIBC] CIBC 15% off Costco Gift Cards (Redeem with Points)

Redeemable with Aventura points, perhaps cash-back too(?)
Comparing to the other gift cards, this offer knocks off 15% off of the amounts of points needed to redeem the item, bringing the following values to a lower amount:
$100 - 11,900(prev. 14,000)
$200 - 23,800(prev. 28,000)
$500 - 59,500(prev. 70,000)
Works for many retail stores gift cards as well: Costco, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Home Hardware, Lowe’s, Rona
Amounts: 50, 100, 200, 500

In my opinion the deal is great, especially considering that the items are usually overpriced in the rewards section; but is unfortunately for a narrow scope of people: those with CIBC cards, pre-accumulated points and Costco lovers.
Images
  • FF430C6F-EEB5-4278-8966-8DD2B2D99DBF.jpeg
Be hungry, be humble.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1988 posts
1363 upvotes
Is it better to use this for travel?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
6062 posts
7324 upvotes
The NORTH
Can you use Costco Gift Cards for gas purchases?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
3583 posts
9241 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
O have like 600 points...nothing i can redeem for eh?
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 12, 2020
149 posts
242 upvotes
Diafel wrote: Is it better to use this for travel?
I personally don’t think so.
Checking cheapest flights via Google, always yield to much better results than the ones offered with CIBC travel points.
For instance, recently wife and I booked two two-way tickets to East Coast for $180 each, roughly.
So that comes to 360+GST. Prior to this, we wanted to utilize our points, what we found was 25,000 points + $257 per ticket.
Which is almost triple the amount. We’ve stumbled upon similar “deals” in past.
I personally don’t find points good or even reasonable to spend on the flights, unless of course CIBC offers a nice deal.
Be hungry, be humble.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2018
5964 posts
17871 upvotes
Kitchener
My card doesn't have points... thought this was a promo to buy giftcards :(
PC: i9 9900ks, RTX 3060 Ti 8gb, 64gb RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10994 posts
4243 upvotes
Diafel wrote: Is it better to use this for travel?
CheekiBreeki wrote: I personally don’t think so.
Checking cheapest flights via Google, always yield to much better results than the ones offered with CIBC travel points.
For instance, recently wife and I booked two two-way tickets to East Coast for $180 each, roughly.
So that comes to 360+GST. Prior to this, we wanted to utilize our points, what we found was 25,000 points + $257 per ticket.
Which is almost triple the amount. We’ve stumbled upon similar “deals” in past.
I personally don’t find points good or even reasonable to spend on the flights, unless of course CIBC offers a nice deal.
It is better to use for the Hotel Return Trick, you get a better value there, eg. 45000 points are worth $560 after the 50% bonus offer.
Member
User avatar
Dec 17, 2018
410 posts
1282 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CheekiBreeki wrote: I personally don’t think so.
Checking cheapest flights via Google, always yield to much better results than the ones offered with CIBC travel points.
For instance, recently wife and I booked two two-way tickets to East Coast for $180 each, roughly.
So that comes to 360+GST. Prior to this, we wanted to utilize our points, what we found was 25,000 points + $257 per ticket.
Which is almost triple the amount. We’ve stumbled upon similar “deals” in past.
I personally don’t find points good or even reasonable to spend on the flights, unless of course CIBC offers a nice deal.
I agree. I had similar experience when I booked my flights last Boxing Day. I ended up with spending about half of the price that listed on the CIBC site via Air Canada
Jr. Member
Sep 13, 2019
157 posts
267 upvotes
Was exciting until I see “Redeem with Points”…
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2220 posts
1320 upvotes
Burnaby
Or just buy $50 Save on GCs for 5000 points if you want an even better value (+ you shop there of course)
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1988 posts
1363 upvotes
kooltilltheen wrote: Or just buy $50 Save on GCs for 5000 points if you want an even better value (+ you shop there of course)
That IS way better value
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2220 posts
1320 upvotes
Burnaby
Diafel wrote: That IS way better value
The hotel trick is probably even better actually but that's not a guaranteed method while this one is something offered directly by CIBC
Jr. Member
Jul 1, 2021
104 posts
438 upvotes
kooltilltheen wrote: The hotel trick is probably even better actually but that's not a guaranteed method while this one is something offered directly by CIBC
It is available until sep 15, 2022. $100 per 8k points (does not have to be in multiples of $100, can be any amount). Book Expedia refundable and then cancel and get refund.

https://rewards.cibcrewards.com/promoti ... mingtravel
Newbie
Aug 19, 2021
43 posts
24 upvotes
How does it work? I book on Expedia using points, then cancel, I get refund back in cad?
Member
Aug 8, 2011
272 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver
Ukshak wrote: How does it work? I book on Expedia using points, then cancel, I get refund back in cad?
Book on expedia as normal with your card, when it is in pending state go to online banking and redeem points for statement credit, then refund hotel. The statement credits stay and the hotel is refunded

Top