Expired Hot Deals

[CIBC] CIBC $350 Welcome Bonus for CIBC Smart Account opened ONLINE Oct 1-30, 2020, plus 12 months no fees

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2020 4:53 pm
May 1, 2019
7 posts
2 upvotes
Yeah, got it, thanks!
scorown wrote: Proofpoint is usually used by workplace emails as a filter. Did you use your work email?
Nov 10, 2013
340 posts
237 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
T&C:
Recurring pre-authorized fund transfers initiated from the Eligible Client (i.e., by using telephone banking, ATM and / or online
banking to set up) to other CIBC deposit, credit card or line of credit accounts, or to accounts at other financial
institutions
, are not eligible for the Offer
emphasis mine, they don't say 'from'...
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
11886 posts
4793 upvotes
Participated .... (my wife did). :)

Set-up the 2 PADs now ... so everything is in place ... keep it going for a year like that... and wait for one year to be over.

Didn't deposit real money / too much money there ... as fees are waived for a year .... only couple of hundred dollars or so.

After one year, my wife will probably make the balance in the account to be $5000 and will change this account to smart Plus account .... and $5000 min. balance in the account will waive the monthly fee on a Smart Plus Account
Sep 5, 2012
602 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
Darkman wrote: ..... this account to smart Plus account .... and $5000 min. balance in the account will waive the monthly fee on a Smart Plus Account
I think it's $6,000 on account to waive monthly fees for Smart Plus account.
May 10, 2018
94 posts
44 upvotes
headleygrange wrote: 3 hard hits for me. Checking account, savings account and credit card - even though they said they reuse the credit information from the initial pull.

You can try calling them and explaining. I got hit 3 times and called them and it somewhat worked but i went into the branch to make sure they made the right calls and then 2 days after, i got a call saying they were reversing the unnecessary checks. It will take up to 6 weeks, according to them
Nov 28, 2005
616 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
Oct 17 - Opened CIBC Smart Account via online application towards $350 welcome bonus
Oct 20 - Received e-mail that online application could not be completed and to visit a CIBC Banking Centre to activate account
Oct 19-23 - Received a PIN code by mail
Oct 24 - Received follow-up e-mail about completing application and booking a meeting at a CIBC Banking Centre. Booked the meeting online and received e-mail that account was opened and to bring 1 piece of valid ID to pick up debit card at a CIBC Banking Centre. Had meeting at a branch, received debit card, and also opened CIBC eAdvantage Savings Account for its bonus interest rate offer. Set up new PIN for the debit card at ATM.
Oct 24-25 - Tried to deposit money into CIBC Smart Account at ATM, but message onscreen said it could not be accessed. Resolved it by contacting call centre to get access to all the CIBC Smart Account features activated after they indicated that the branch omitted to do so after validating my ID. Mentioned to them about receiving a PIN code by mail. It turns out that my online application had initiated a debit card to be issued and sent by mail, so we got that debit card number cancelled given that the branch already issued me a separate one.
Oct 25 - Set up PAD through AMEX Canada. Have 2 credit cards with them, so I assume each PAD will be counted separately in order to meet the 2 PAD requirement.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2114 posts
1211 upvotes
Etobicoke
Coffeebeanz wrote: I agree. CIBC's application process for this promo is indeed confusing. They're too lazy (or cheap) to get someone to code and properly make new pages with the correct product info and email for overlapping promos.

Your new bank Account # is actually generated on the "Congratulations" webpage (which I believe is the last page).

You will see "Congratulations [Your Name]", below it your new product: CIBC Smart Account 12 Month Fee Rebate Offer along with (7 digit) Account # below it.
(So.... maybe a tip for others that apply is to screenshot this page to show the system opened up an account)

The welcome email doesn't generate that. It just says next step: setup Online banking if you haven't yet. But it does have a reference number below in the email which you can call Customer Service to confirm that your account is open and get your Account #
Next, you should be receiving an email regarding your CIBC client card in the next 3-7 days. (Either to go into branch or it's being mailed)
Thanks for the explanation. I usually take a screenshot of the final page whenever I fill out any application. But somehow I didn't do it this time.

I opened an account last week end received a confirmation email with reference number and as a next step asking me to register for online banking. But I don't have account number.

Will wait till end of the week for another email/mail from them or I will give them a call.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2005
784 posts
1517 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Quid Pro Quo wrote: Oct 25 - Set up PAD through AMEX Canada. Have 2 credit cards with them, so I assume each PAD will be counted separately in order to meet the 2 PAD requirement.
Just a caution about this -- the T&C say "at least two (2) different eligible recurring pre-authorized debits" ... I'm not sure if the 2 AmEx PADs would be considered "different", since they all show up in CIBC's transaction history as "Electronic Funds Transfer PREAUTHORIZED DEBIT American Express" with nothing distinguishing one from another (other than value/amount). I know some bank accounts (e.g. Coast Capital, which shows something like "Pre-Auth Debit AMEX JOHN SMITH AMEX BANK OF CANADA") will also identify the cardholder name on the AmEx, so that might help differentiate ("under the hood"), but for the purposes of fulfilling CIBC's offer, my concern would be that they might not count these as different, even if they're from different accounts. You might want to consider one additional other PAD just to be sure, unless someone else has a data point confirming you can follow-through with your plan...
Nov 28, 2005
616 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
I'm hesitant about filing PAD forms where I can't stop the payments completely by myself, so I've added a couple more PADs in which I have control of the pulls:
- via PayTM towards Rogers MasterCard
- via Wealthsimple Invest towards TFSA
CalgaryBen wrote: Just a caution about this -- the T&C say "at least two (2) different eligible recurring pre-authorized debits" ... I'm not sure if the 2 AmEx PADs would be considered "different", since they all show up in CIBC's transaction history as "Electronic Funds Transfer PREAUTHORIZED DEBIT American Express" with nothing distinguishing one from another (other than value/amount). I know some bank accounts (e.g. Coast Capital, which shows something like "Pre-Auth Debit AMEX JOHN SMITH AMEX BANK OF CANADA") will also identify the cardholder name on the AmEx, so that might help differentiate ("under the hood"), but for the purposes of fulfilling CIBC's offer, my concern would be that they might not count these as different, even if they're from different accounts. You might want to consider one additional other PAD just to be sure, unless someone else has a data point confirming you can follow-through with your plan...
Deal Guru
May 7, 2007
11886 posts
4793 upvotes
CheapBucket wrote: I think it's $6,000 on account to waive monthly fees for Smart Plus account.
Yep ... You are correct ... it's $6,000 actually .... I was mixing it up with the similar but $5,000 requirement at TD Bank and Scotiabank.

At BMO similar account it's also $6,000

I currently have Smart Plus with CIBC ... but I am waiving the monthly fee on it with 100K in investments (long term bond(s) at their Investor's Edge). So i never concerned myself to-date with 5 or 6K minimum requirement for Plus account.
Jan 26, 2020
89 posts
36 upvotes
I opened account in May, I get $4.95 rebate and got $300 back last week!
Dec 19, 2018
5 posts
3 upvotes
I was wondering whether setting up a recurring pre-authorized credit card bill payment can be counted as a PAD?
Jul 7, 2016
339 posts
691 upvotes
JJackJi wrote: Same here. Not sure what I should do. Does that mean I won't get the $350 ?
Same issue in other thread ($300 offer). People said they called in and they were told they will get the offer. Take screenshot of original offer to be safe.

I am more curious if anyone did not get the product recommendation. I had the same issue with the $300 offer last month and even when I went in person there was no documentation about the $300 other than a separate print out of the generic offer (I.e. was not specific to my application).

My wife has the same problem with the $350 offer but there is no option to go to the branch since this time the application is online only. We went with it anyways and decided if it becomes an issue we will call and deal with it then.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12638 posts
3423 upvotes
Scarberia
I just got 300$ congrats email.. Opened account in June 2020
When will I get bonus in deposited? Tia
Screenshot_20201030-012718_Yahoo Mail~2.jpg
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1977 posts
1417 upvotes
scorown wrote: Proofpoint is usually used by workplace emails as a filter. Did you use your work email?
Nah, CIBC and Simplii use Proofpoint as their thing for secured emails. I have an account with Simplii Financial and that’s how I submit all my paperwork. I sent my signature card when I first signed up and the PAD forms along with void cheques for external account linking.

Not sure what CIBC uses it for, but they most likely use the same thing for transmitting documents electronically to clients.