Expired Hot Deals

[CIBC] CIBC $350 Welcome Bonus for CIBC Smart Account opened ONLINE Oct 1-30, 2020, plus 12 months no fees

Sep 3, 2019
34 posts
9 upvotes
Burnaby
CalgaryBen wrote: Don't worry... it's been like this since the start of this offer, which began at the end of February this year. It's not an "upgraded" offer, just two over-lapping offers (12 months no fees, plus $300/350 account opening bonus). When I opened mine back in March, a rep indicated that as long as the account opening date met the timeframe for the welcome bonus, it would be received (even though offer banner/details may not have appeared). And, without having to chase it, I did in fact receive the bonus in August (without further action/intervention).

There are still occasional radio and TV ads for the welcome bonus, so I think it's a well-established campaign. If the application was completed fully online, and you fulfill the requirements, you should see your $350 in March 2021 automatically.
When you apply online, did you receive your bank account# or something like this? I received email from CIBC after open account online, but no account# nor any info let me go to branch. In the email, it said open online banking for next step. But I do not have any info for online banking... so wired...
Sep 3, 2019
34 posts
9 upvotes
Burnaby
JJackJi wrote: Yep I did go through with my application. I'll have to call them and ask if I qualified for the promo.
Did you get your bank account# or something like this after your application online? Or you have to go to branch to get your card? Thanks!
Sep 3, 2019
34 posts
9 upvotes
Burnaby
mr2711 wrote: Weird. So applied for spouse's account online and got a webpage indicating that she needs to visit branch. She also got an email with link to book appointment. Booked appointment and went to branch. She was told that if since her application is being processed in branch she will get only $300 and not $350. In her case no account # was generated. People who are getting account # after applying online but going to branch for only verification will still get $350.

So, if no account # generated after applying online and application processed in branch = $300
if account # generated after applying online and going to branch just for id verification = $350
Did you apply for yourself as well? But yourself did receive bank account# or something like this to show you did apply online successfully? Thanks
Jun 30, 2020
12 posts
26 upvotes
I agree. CIBC's application process for this promo is indeed confusing. They're too lazy (or cheap) to get someone to code and properly make new pages with the correct product info and email for overlapping promos.

Your new bank Account # is actually generated on the "Congratulations" webpage (which I believe is the last page).

You will see "Congratulations [Your Name]", below it your new product: CIBC Smart Account 12 Month Fee Rebate Offer along with (7 digit) Account # below it.
(So.... maybe a tip for others that apply is to screenshot this page to show the system opened up an account)

The welcome email doesn't generate that. It just says next step: setup Online banking if you haven't yet. But it does have a reference number below in the email which you can call Customer Service to confirm that your account is open and get your Account #
Next, you should be receiving an email regarding your CIBC client card in the next 3-7 days. (Either to go into branch or it's being mailed)
Apr 7, 2019
709 posts
873 upvotes
mzzz29 wrote: Did you apply for yourself as well? But yourself did receive bank account# or something like this to show you did apply online successfully? Thanks
Yes. Applied for self as well and got message to visit branch. Didn't get any account #. Had to visit branch to open account. Will get only $300
Sep 3, 2019
34 posts
9 upvotes
Burnaby
Coffeebeanz wrote: I agree. CIBC's application process for this promo is indeed confusing. They're too lazy (or cheap) to get someone to code and properly make new pages with the correct product info and email for overlapping promos.

Your new bank Account # is actually generated on the "Congratulations" webpage (which I believe is the last page).

You will see "Congratulations [Your Name]", below it your new product: CIBC Smart Account 12 Month Fee Rebate Offer along with (7 digit) Account # below it.
(So.... maybe a tip for others that apply is to screenshot this page to show the system opened up an account)

The welcome email doesn't generate that. It just says next step: setup Online banking if you haven't yet. But it does have a reference number below in the email which you can call Customer Service to confirm that your account is open and get your Account #
Next, you should be receiving an email regarding your CIBC client card in the next 3-7 days. (Either to go into branch or it's being mailed)
Wow! Thanks. SO that 7 digits was account#? I do have this congrat page when I was done applying online, and never thought that would be the bank account#. They did not give a name before those digits, just a new line with series numbers. I thought that would be kind of ref#. This online application system was the worst i've ever used.
Sep 3, 2019
34 posts
9 upvotes
Burnaby
mr2711 wrote: Yes. Applied for self as well and got message to visit branch. Didn't get any account #. Had to visit branch to open account. Will get only $300
They didnt mention I need to go to the branch, nor provide any other info...
I just checked last post, he said there was bank account# with 7 digits in last page. They didnt name those digits as bank account# when it showed up.
Jun 30, 2020
12 posts
26 upvotes
Another note to add which might add to more confusion (YMMV). When I logged into my online banking, the new account said (Savings). But I thought to myself, but the Smart Account is a Chequing account which it is. I had to click on the account link to double check.
And sure enough the description was Smart Account with the chequing fee rates. I ended up using the nickname function and renamed it as "Smart Account". lol
Jul 23, 2015
733 posts
518 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
5 minutes to apply, except right now, our website is down
Tried again, went through. Got the same 'better promo ' switch but will call if I don't get my $350 in 5 months.

Thanks op
Nov 28, 2005
616 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
Signed up online for the account but failed to screenshot the congratulations at the end with the account number. Contacted their call centre and they didn't see anything when using my personal information to try to look me up. Was told to wait so that their system could finalize the account opening. That's understandable given its the weekend and the email I received after signing up online did say: Congratulations, we’ve opened your account(s)! You'll hear from us within 72 hours about next steps to activate your account. If we need additional information, we will send you a secure email with instructions.
Will post for info and then edit for clarity
Nov 28, 2005
616 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
Received e-mail:

We have received your online application for new account and unfortunately, we were unable to complete your application. To activate and begin using your new account please visit any CIBC Banking Centre. Please be sure to bring with you
valid ID.

After your new account is activated, visit CIBC Online Banking® for 24/7 access to your account.

Could it be that I opted not to provide my SIN?
May 1, 2019
7 posts
2 upvotes
Hi there, did you receive the email from this address Mailbox.RemoteAccountOpen@cibc.com? I got the same message.
Quid Pro Quo wrote: Received e-mail:

We have received your online application for new account and unfortunately, we were unable to complete your application. To activate and begin using your new account please visit any CIBC Banking Centre. Please be sure to bring with you
valid ID.

After your new account is activated, visit CIBC Online Banking® for 24/7 access to your account.

Could it be that I opted not to provide my SIN?
Mar 2, 2014
566 posts
271 upvotes
TonyW3061 wrote: Thanks. It's weird I had to register through a 'Proofpoint' Secure messaging service to view this message.
Proofpoint is usually used by workplace emails as a filter. Did you use your work email?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)