Expired Hot Deals

[CIBC] CIBC Earn $300 and 12 Month Fee Rebate with a CIBC Smart Account

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 6:21 pm
Feb 16, 2014
302 posts
217 upvotes
ejohan wrote: When did you guys sign up? Mine was opened May 25 and nothing so far...
@ryansluman
After you. Funded the day I signed up, did 3 PADs and a bill payment the next day. And 3 PADs with occasional bill payment for every month after.
Will drop it to 2 PADs now.
Sep 5, 2020
22 posts
11 upvotes
Planning to open a business account with CIBC soon, would a smart account encompass that?
Jan 16, 2007
143 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
I received my $300 yesterday. Opened account back in February.
Sep 5, 2019
48 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
So I finally gave in and set it up online last week. I got the third email today saying I'll be getting the access card soon and I called CIBC to verify that the account I opened was indeed the "CIBC Earn $300 and 12 Month Fee Rebate with a CIBC Smart Account". The agent confirmed that that was the case as long as I do either the direct deposit or PAD requirements within the timeframe.

Questions:

1. So I can only start setting up the PADs after the access card arrives, right? And I can do that online? (Planning to use Tangering and Fido)
2. I can see that people here are recommending to have it in writing. I'm a noob so may I know how to request that? Just ask the rep to send me an e-mail to confirm?

Thanks!
Mar 23, 2004
41997 posts
8052 upvotes
Markham
FredV14986 wrote: So I finally gave in and set it up online last week. I got the third email today saying I'll be getting the access card soon and I called CIBC to verify that the account I opened was indeed the "CIBC Earn $300 and 12 Month Fee Rebate with a CIBC Smart Account". The agent confirmed that that was the case as long as I do either the direct deposit or PAD requirements within the timeframe.

Questions:

1. So I can only start setting up the PADs after the access card arrives, right? And I can do that online? (Planning to use Tangering and Fido)
2. I can see that people here are recommending to have it in writing. I'm a noob so may I know how to request that? Just ask the rep to send me an e-mail to confirm?

Thanks!
(1) No. Once you have your account, institution, transit #'s, you can set those up.
(2) Either that or keep the agreement that you signed which state you get the $300.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1361 posts
98 upvotes
Just opened an account, made a large deposit to make use of the 1.5% esavings. Worst banking experience ever. I'll get my promotions and leave 100% for sure.

Not even sure if it is worth the $300.

OP still deserves an upvote though! Thanks OP.
Feb 16, 2014
302 posts
217 upvotes
Phoenix88 wrote: Just opened an account, made a large deposit to make use of the 1.5% esavings. Worst banking experience ever. I'll get my promotions and leave 100% for sure.

Not even sure if it is worth the $300.

OP still deserves an upvote though! Thanks OP.
huh?
this is a no interest chequing account.
Jul 7, 2016
338 posts
690 upvotes
Was a frustrating experience on my end.

Tried to apply online, I kept getting redirected to the "Product Recommendation" without the $300 offer (i.e. only the 12 month rebate). I checked the Terms & Conditions to make sure and it appeared to exclude the $300 as others cited in this thread.

Went to branch just for safe measure. Was told it had to be done via an appointment, so got it scheduled. I specifically asked for the purpose of the appointment to be opening the Smart Account account only, but was given a sales pitch for investment advisors, savings, GICs, etc. which I kindly declined but CIBC kept trying. Even when we got to the stage where the products were being added, I had to ask for those other products to be removed. I was asked many questions beyond what I would expect from what's needed to open a chequing account. They asked where I banked and I regret naming the bank as they definitely tried to encourage me to move everything over. What should have been a 15 minute meeting took over an hour.

I want to enroll my family, but will definitely will not be doing in at the branch based on my latest experience. We'll see if the "Product Recommendation" issue continues to persist.
Sep 5, 2019
48 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Presents wrote: Was a frustrating experience on my end.

Tried to apply online, I kept getting redirected to the "Product Recommendation" without the $300 offer (i.e. only the 12 month rebate). I checked the Terms & Conditions to make sure and it appeared to exclude the $300 as others cited in this thread.

Went to branch just for safe measure. Was told it had to be done via an appointment, so got it scheduled. I specifically asked for the purpose of the appointment to be opening the Smart Account account only, but was given a sales pitch for investment advisors, savings, GICs, etc. which I kindly declined but CIBC kept trying. Even when we got to the stage where the products were being added, I had to ask for those other products to be removed. I was asked many questions beyond what I would expect from what's needed to open a chequing account. They asked where I banked and I regret naming the bank as they definitely tried to encourage me to move everything over. What should have been a 15 minute meeting took over an hour.

I want to enroll my family, but will definitely will not be doing in at the branch based on my latest experience. We'll see if the "Product Recommendation" issue continues to persist.
I did it online too and got the same "Product Recommendation" that has no mention of the $300 even in the T&Cs and paperwork attachments provided, but I've read in this thread that that really is the case for everyone (could be wrong though) and you can just simply confirm with a rep by calling them once you've set it up online. At least that's what I did and did get the confirmation from the rep that I spoke with but haven't asked for a written documentation that it really is the case.
Jul 7, 2016
338 posts
690 upvotes
FredV14986 wrote: I did it online too and got the same "Product Recommendation" that has no mention of the $300 even in the T&Cs and paperwork attachments provided, but I've read in this thread that that really is the case for everyone (could be wrong though) and you can just simply confirm with a rep by calling them once you've set it up online. At least that's what I did and did get the confirmation from the rep that I spoke with but haven't asked for a written documentation that it really is the case.
Agreed. I went to the brank as an extra precaution as they were able to provide something in writing (basically just a print out of the PDF Terms and Conditions, nothing fancy). Most posts here suggest that the trip was about 20 minutes which I did not mind. The cross-selling attempts was way overboard for my visit. YMMV depending on whether an investment advisor has free time during your appointment, I guess.

Given it's such a pervasive online issue with online applications, I guess I can take the gamble with applying online plus a phone call. It's quite silly that it seems to redirect everyone to a strictly inferior product offer.

The one bonus of applying online or in-person if you go for the overdraft is that the credit inquiry is effective for 90 days. So if you want to apply for a credit product at CIBC, I was informed that they should not pull your credit report again if it falls within the 90 days. This is consistent with what I read from another poster here.
Sep 5, 2019
48 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Presents wrote: Agreed. I went to the brank as an extra precaution as they were able to provide something in writing (basically just a print out of the PDF Terms and Conditions, nothing fancy). Most posts here suggest that the trip was about 20 minutes which I did not mind. The cross-selling attempts was way overboard for my visit. YMMV depending on whether an investment advisor has free time during your appointment, I guess.

Given it's such a pervasive online issue with online applications, I guess I can take the gamble with applying online plus a phone call. It's quite silly that it seems to redirect everyone to a strictly inferior product offer.

The one bonus of applying online or in-person if you go for the overdraft is that the credit inquiry is effective for 90 days. So if you want to apply for a credit product at CIBC, I was informed that they should not pull your credit report again if it falls within the 90 days. This is consistent with what I read from another poster here.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll still need to go to the bank in person on Thursday to verify my identity and get my card and pin. I was initially worried that the final step of opening my account falls a day after the deadline for this promo but when I called the rep just now they did confirm that since I opened the account last week, I should be good. I might ask for the written proof too on my visit and hopefully they're not effing with me hehe.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
3543 posts
1353 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone know if I can change the existing PADs once I receive the welcome bonus?