Aug 24, 2016
9293 posts
10526 upvotes
The Prairies

[CIBC] DEAD PLEASE DELETE Dividend Platinum Visa, 10% on first 2k spend and FYF

While logging out of CIBC online banking, I noticed an ad to the left that said
“Exclusive Offer”
“This offer is just for you”
Since I was no longer logged into online banking, I doubt it’s a targeted offer to me exclusively, but thought I’d mention the possibility anyway.

In case you missed the last promotion on this card, here’s another chance.
Oddly enough, there is no option to instead apply for the Infinite version, and still get the promotion, but if you’re like most of us here, you don’t keep the card after FYF anyway, so there’s no real benefit of getting the infinite version.

Application link is here
Last edited by coolintheshade on Jul 19th, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2129 posts
14765 upvotes
Might want to add YMMV to the title - tried logging into my account accessing the link, logged out, and went Incognito in 3 diff browsers and all just got offered "4% cash back on eligible gas and groceries and FYF". No mention of 10%.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9293 posts
10526 upvotes
The Prairies
Leverage wrote: Might want to add YMMV to the title - tried logging into my account accessing the link, logged out, and went Incognito in 3 diff browsers and all just got offered "4% cash back on eligible gas and groceries and FYF". No mention of 10%.
So you clicked on complete application at the link above, which brought you to credit bureau authorization screen, and then to a screen advising of fees and terms etc.. and next screen it asks if you’re a current customer, and the screen didn’t look like this?
129CE8AC-0A80-4CFD-AEC3-08F8D56FEFAA.png

Note that it says Once the offer period’s over get 4% cash back on eligible gas and groceries
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2129 posts
14765 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: So you clicked on complete application at the link above, which brought you to credit bureau authorization screen, and then to a screen advising of fees and terms etc.. and next screen it asks if you’re a current customer, and the screen didn’t look like this?
Initial app screen shows no mention of 10% anywhere, click the "Apply Now", accept credit bureau and T&C, get to the login page and see this:

Logged in, cancelled out of app, just get a "come in branch if you need to" pop up and nothing further. No combo of logged in/out shows that 10% on my side.
Nov 13, 2017
28 posts
123 upvotes
Quoting from cibc-cibc-aventura-gold-same-promo-cibc ... #p31597134
fuzzyfuzzy wrote: This is what I did and I managed to completed my application last night.

Click apply regardless the FYF, cancel it after first step then go back to application page again, FYF appears (at least in my case), not sure it’s a coincidence or that’s how it was setup. Give it try
This has worked for me
Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 17.12.25.png
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9293 posts
10526 upvotes
The Prairies
Leverage wrote: Initial app screen shows no mention of 10% anywhere, click the "Apply Now", accept credit bureau and T&C, get to the login page and see this:

Logged in, cancelled out of app, just get a "come in branch if you need to" pop up and nothing further. No combo of logged in/out shows that 10% on my side.
So you’re not clicking the link in this thread?
You’re just going to CIBC.com?
You need to apply through the link in the OP.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9293 posts
10526 upvotes
The Prairies
Initial page when clicked through this link
CC4989B8-73AB-4B10-975D-AF4511F45A69.png

Once you click “complete your application” this screen appears with credit bureau authorization check box

23A2B90E-2DC9-40F4-8F8E-5EF5C97DDC91.png

Next screen is the rates and fee disclosure, and once you click agree, you’re taken to this page

E9C156FB-B78F-440E-89DA-3D43F2EC0006.png

This is all before logging in, so everyone should see the same screens
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2129 posts
14765 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: So you’re not clicking the link in this thread?
You’re just going to CIBC.com?
You need to apply through the link in the OP.
Straight from the thread - here's a screen recording. Maybe RFD is stripping the app reference from the URL with their link parsing?
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
@rhw123 ... what's the cancelled application trick?
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻
Deal Addict
May 7, 2019
1467 posts
1283 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks @rhw123, but why is it necessary to do that?

When the WB of FYF and 10% on the first $2K, already appears when you go through the GCR link.
Preferred cards:

Brim WE . ☁️

CTFS CA and Triangle WE .🔻
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20069 posts
5765 upvotes
Scarberia
so its min. 60k income? im a smart bank cibc member, it upgraded me to CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite* Card, but i still don't see the 10% cb and Free1st year waved
nm GCR has it but no cb lol..waiting for cb to apply!
WELCOME OFFER
CIBC DIVIDEND® VISA INFINITE* CARD

Get a first-year annual fee rebate†
Plus, get 10% cash back for the first 4 statements on total purchases of up to $2,000.†

Apply now
for a CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite Card

they give out the cb at end of december right? so to best to apply for the card november 2020, and cancel it nov. 2021? tia
Last edited by mikka2017 on Jul 19th, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
7933 posts
4642 upvotes
Montreal
rhw123 wrote: The cancelled application trick worked for me to get the 10%/$2000 promo. Instant approval.

Alternatively, the same 10%/$2000 deal can be found on Great Canadian Rebates:

https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/det ... -Infinite/
Great Canadian rebates worked for me, but not this direct link. That link says:  « CIBC Dividend® Visa Infinite* Card is not available not available in your region. »

The link that worked for me
https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/credit-cards/

Welcome Offer: Get a first-year annual fee rebate and 10% cash back†
For the first 4 statements on total purchases of up to $2,000†.
After that, get 4% cash back on eligible gas and grocery purchases^

There is no cash back from the website though, but the 10% offer is clearly there, with no tricks involved.
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Apr 18, 2020
91 posts
20 upvotes
Reposting my recent experience (2 days ago) from an older thread regarding this card. Let me know if anyone actually gets the 10% offer, as I will push for this.

CIBC's branch was a mess - I showed them the 10% CB offer online, they said they will help me open the card (since I was already in the branch opening my chequing account) and the online offer can be retroactively applied by the credit card department team. I asked time and again whether I should just do it online myself, they said it's okay they have access to my credit file and them doing it will minimise number of credit checks. From their screen, I was already pre-approved for the card, they printed out form with reference ID and all, with the promise that I will definitely receive the card in the mail in 10 days (because already pre-approved!)

Went home, called in to CIBC credit department to check. Agents on the phone repeatedly insist that the 10% offer has long expired. Spelled out the URL to them even, and they themselves can still see it on their website. Very very strange - they kept saying it is not showing up at all on their system (they only have FYF on Dividend VI/Plat). Asked them to check on my reference ID - turns out the branch hasn't even finalised the application. The reference ID given to me by the phone agent is also different from what I have printed sitting on my desk. People on the phone now telling me I need to go back to the branch and sort it out.

Just FYI, took me 6 calls, voice messages, all spread out over 2.5 weeks, to get that appointment at the branch yesterday. Now they are telling me to come back in. To say I'm disappointed thus far is an understatement. I felt like CIBC was trying to bait and switch. Would love to see if any other DPs out here on this issue, it should not be possible (or legal even? They can't post sth on website then say no it's not on the table).

FWIW, if not for the 10% promised accelerated cashback in the first 4 months, I wouldn't have applied for this card at all (have the Cobalt, much better earnings rate). If there isn't any available recourse by CIBC, I'm thinking of cancelling the application altogether and take my business elsewhere. Unpleasant (at best) couple of weeks with CIBC.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4374 upvotes
BC
banker8 wrote: Thanks @rhw123, but why is it necessary to do that?

When the WB of FYF and 10% on the first $2K, already appears when you go through the GCR link.
It's not necessary, you can choose one or the other. Personally, didn't see the advantage in using GCR's affiliate link when they won't give me any kickback.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
9293 posts
10526 upvotes
The Prairies
Ok, so after clearing my browser cache, I’m now getting just the 4% FYF screen.
So it seems that after I applied for the card, that link became dead, possibly coded to my profile.
My browser presumably was loading a cached version of the webpage, that’s why I kept getting the promo page.

As already mentioned, GCR also has the same deal, with a valid link.
This thread can now be tagged as dead.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)