• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2020 11:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3989 posts
1976 upvotes

[CIBC] Free Trades @ CIBC Investor's Edge

After a being a total gong-show as they tried to "improve user experience" and "features", leaving customers with a stinking pile of turd mess, free trades for two weeks!

It doesn't make up for the thousands of dollars in missed trades, but hey, it's something offered while you try to figure out how to switch banks. This year was pretty awful for outages, and the platform still sucks, hasn't changed much in 20 years.

As a valued CIBC Investor’s Edge client, we are committed to providing you with a great experience and earning your business each and every day. We understand that you rely on our platform and we sincerely regret any inconvenience you experienced as a result of a recent technical issue.

In appreciation for your loyalty and in recognition of your experience, we’re providing you with 2 weeks of $0 commission on trades starting Aug 1, 2020 to Aug 14, 2020.1

Please know that we deeply value your business and your trust in us to help meet your investing needs.

Regards,

Lee Bennett
Senior Vice-President, Direct Investing and Advice
CIBC Investor Services Inc.
45 replies
May 16, 2017
326 posts
139 upvotes
how much do they normally charge? how different is it from wealth simple?

yes i agree canadian trading plats suck. Did u see the crap they pulled with kodak stock bummer
Dec 16, 2007
191 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
slash407 wrote: how much do they normally charge? how different is it from wealth simple?

yes i agree canadian trading plats suck. Did u see the crap they pulled with kodak stock bummer
What happened (what was the bummer/crap that they pulled)? I saw the Kodak stock explode after the announcement yesterday, it was a nice buy if you moved quickly ...
Oct 29, 2013
77 posts
19 upvotes
West Vancouver, BC
Is there a Canadian version of robinhood?
Oct 29, 2013
77 posts
19 upvotes
West Vancouver, BC
Student is $5.95 per trade.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
1972 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
Is this for everyone who has an account with CIBC Investor's Edge or is it targetted?
Mar 26, 2009
261 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
albundy99999999 wrote: Is this for everyone who has an account with CIBC Investor's Edge or is it targetted?
Looks targeted. Funny enough, I just made a number of trades in the last 2 weeks (after not having made a trade in over a year) and didn't get the notice. Was planning on a few more moves.
Dec 16, 2007
191 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
saraba1st wrote: Is there a Canadian version of robinhood?
Unfortunately, no ...
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
1972 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
slash407 wrote: how much do they normally charge? how different is it from wealth simple?

Who are "they"? CIBC Investor's edge? What did they do?

Did WealthSimple improve their trade execution over the past year? I remembered people complained it takes a while for them to fill the trade once it's placed.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
1972 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
dma87 wrote: Looks targeted. Funny enough, I just made a number of trades in the last 2 weeks (after not having made a trade in over a year) and didn't get the notice. Was planning on a few more moves.
Oh well, that's too bad. I guess the tittle of this thread should have YMMV.
May 20, 2020
9 posts
5 upvotes
saraba1st wrote: Is there a Canadian version of robinhood?
Closest would be wealth simple trade with 0 commission. They do charge a FX fee when buying and selling US listed stocks. It's very limited, they only have a mobile app with 20 minute data delay and don't allow you to trade options. Execution times were poor compared to Interactive Brokers and TD.
Last edited by F16Falcon on Jul 31st, 2020 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 16, 2019
32 posts
79 upvotes
I have been using Wealthsimple Trade and have been enjoying it. The App isn't as polished as I would like, and I use third-party websites for more in depth/updated information.
But (Canadian) commission free trades are great!
Jul 8, 2010
160 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
I have been using Wealthsimple Trade for a while , I don't like it .

i.e the quote is delayed , and transaction history is not friendly . Seach function is not good at all.

the only reason I use Wealthsimple Trade is 0 commission .
Aug 26, 2019
118 posts
221 upvotes
chenredflagdeals wrote: I have been using Wealthsimple Trade for a while , I don't like it .

i.e the quote is delayed , and transaction history is not friendly . Seach function is not good at all.

the only reason I use Wealthsimple Trade is 0 commission .
Are there limits on # of trades per day?