• Nov 24th, 2021 8:55 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1561 posts
943 upvotes
Calgary

[CIBC] Investor Edge - Get up to $2000 Cashback

So the cash back offer comes back again this year. Pretty much the same as last year. From Nov 1 to Mar 1 2022.

The Offer applies to eligible transfers into a new or existing CIBC Investor’s Edge account during the Offer Period.

a) Transferred Assets with a market value of $10,000 or more (but less than $25,000) are eligible for a $50.00
cash credit;
b) Transferred Assets with a market value of $25,000 or more (but less than $50,000) are eligible for a
$100.00 cash credit;
c) Transferred Assets with a market value of $50,000 or more (but less than $100,000) are eligible for a
$200.00 cash credit;
d) Transferred Assets with a market value of $100,000 or more (but less than $500,000) are eligible for
a$500.00 cash credit;
e) Transferred Assets with a market value of $500,000 or more (but less than $1,000,000) are eligible for a
$1000.00 cash credit; and
f) Transferred Assets with a market value of $1,000,000 or more are eligible for a $2000.00 cash credit.

Note 1:
Account that holds an eligible amount of Transferred Assets:
1. During the week of June 20, 2022 for transfers received between November 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021;
2. During the week of August 22, 2022 for transfers received between January 1, 2022 and March 1, 2022.

Note 2:
If you open your new Account online, you must enter promo code EDGE695

Note 3:
The Transfer-In Date must be between November 2, 2021 and May 2, 2022 to be eligible for the Offer.
Deposits initiated after March 1, 2022 are not eligible for the Offer.

Click on the link for the detailed TOC
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 27th, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retailer field wasn't syncing up
91 replies
Apr 11, 2019
290 posts
303 upvotes
doesn't transferring an account usually have fees from the other broker? does cibc also cover this fee?
Zoomer Wireless - $36/month|800 Minutes|5GB Data|Unlimited Texts
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4768 posts
947 upvotes
SK
Multiple Musical Notes If I had a million dollars Multiple Musical Notes
Seriously, to get $2,000 I would not risk a $1M investment. I would be researching and going to the best institution that can help me grow it further.

Even getting $50 transferring under $25,000 doesn’t seem worth it. You get more applying for a regular CT Triangle credit card and making a $1-purchase (rebates recently range from $100-$250).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1561 posts
943 upvotes
Calgary
shopper-X wrote: Multiple Musical Notes If I had a million dollars Multiple Musical Notes
Seriously, to get $2,000 I would not risk a $1M investment. I would be researching and going to the best institution that can help me grow it further.

Even getting $50 transferring under $25,000 doesn’t seem worth it. You get more applying for a regular CT Triangle credit card and making a $1-purchase (rebates recently range from $100-$250).
CIBC will waive your smart plus account fee if you hold 100k in investment which includes the investoredge. With smart plus, you can also waive one premium credit card fee. No other banks offer that. (Maybe HSBC)

But yea not everyone will be qualified for $2000CB but I think lots of us on this forum will bebenefit from it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7739 posts
3205 upvotes
shopper-X wrote: Multiple Musical Notes If I had a million dollars Multiple Musical Notes

You're not risking anything if you do an in-kind transfer. You can buy the same stocks and ETFs at pretty much every brokerage.

I did this promo last year because in addition to the bonus, you get free banking with CIBC if you have $100,000 in investments. I had been meaning to switch from mutual funds to ETFs anyway, so this was the motivation to do it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7739 posts
3205 upvotes
kiukiumoar wrote: doesn't transferring an account usually have fees from the other broker? does cibc also cover this fee?
I did this promo last year and was able to get CIBC to cover $150+tax in transfer fees for each of my two accounts by contacting them through their live chat.
Mar 3, 2015
519 posts
877 upvotes
King City
ibuddler wrote: CIBC will waive your smart plus account fee if you hold 100k in investment which includes the investoredge. With smart plus, you can also waive one premium credit card fee. No other banks offer that. (Maybe HSBC)

But yea not everyone will be qualified for $2000CB but I think lots of us on this forum will bebenefit from it.
National Bank is offering $0 commission on NBDB. If you have over $250,000 in your NBDB account, you get up to 3 unlimited bank accounts waived, World Elite for free, and preferential rates on financing.
Aug 15, 2021
181 posts
136 upvotes
These guys are the worst ever. I've been with RBC direct inv, scotia trade and bmo. These guys are the absolute worst no customer service and the website is non existent. I'm in the process of escalating issues and it's going no where
Sep 11, 2012
133 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
I have used CIBC investor edge for 5 years, they don't have the best trading platform(TD has the best in my opinion) but they have the cheapest trading fee $6.99 among the big 5. Their online customer services are also great as well.
Mar 10, 2014
834 posts
692 upvotes
rdfree wrote: These guys are the worst ever. I've been with RBC direct inv, scotia trade and bmo. These guys are the absolute worst no customer service and the website is non existent. I'm in the process of escalating issues and it's going no where
You can add TD Waterhouse to the list of crappy systems that crash or go down every so often during a trading day. I can count 3-4 times during the year when it completely goes down for 1/2 or the entire day. When in the system, it would crash or hang. I moved back to RBC direct and so far so good. I was with them 20 years ago as Action Direct. Paying the $9.99 commission is peanuts when you can have decent system uptime and able to make a trade. Time is money when you need to get in or get out.

Transferring from one institution to another, the transfer expense is usually covered by the receiving institution. In my case, RBC covered TD's $150 transfer fee.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1046 posts
867 upvotes
$2000 on a $1M account? Assuming DSC (and CIBC reps don't get that) the agent would get $20,000 at investment company where you would probably get better returns.

I am CPA, CMA, etc...I get over 30%/year on my self directed investments over the last 5 years and on my mutual funds (safety money) I still get about 1.3% per month some of which I have structured to defer tax using t-series funds.

If you have $1m and you want that $2000 from CIBC, save time and PM me.
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
Aug 11, 2011
135 posts
71 upvotes
RICHMOND
TheSheldor wrote: National Bank is offering $0 commission on NBDB. If you have over $250,000 in your NBDB account, you get up to 3 unlimited bank accounts waived, World Elite for free, and preferential rates on financing.
I'm having a hard time finding this - is there anywhere listed on their website about this deal? If so, I would switch over.
Oct 24, 2017
194 posts
159 upvotes
I'm sorry, what? Nothing you said here makes any sense. Who is getting paid a 2% DSC? Deferred sales charges are no longer common to begin with, and are in fact banned by the Ontario Securities Commission as of next year.

You are claiming a return of "over 30% per year", what are you invested in? That is a ridiculous return, and it sounds like you must be better than Warren Buffett. COVID-19 quantitative easing excluded, I'd love to hear what you invested in from 2016-2019 to generate such lofty, consistent returns.

Also, if you truly are a CPA, you should do some reading on t-series funds. The tax deferral on t-series is a myth except in one very rare exception that does not apply to most people.

For anyone else reading this, I wouldn't go near this guy, and I am also a CPA.
geoffs wrote: $2000 on a $1M account? Assuming DSC (and CIBC reps don't get that) the agent would get $20,000 at investment company where you would probably get better returns.

I am CPA, CMA, etc...I get over 30%/year on my self directed investments over the last 5 years and on my mutual funds (safety money) I still get about 1.3% per month some of which I have structured to defer tax using t-series funds.

If you have $1m and you want that $2000 from CIBC, save time and PM me.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4639 posts
1612 upvotes
Vancity
shopper-X wrote: Seriously, to get $2,000 I would not risk a $1M investment. I would be researching and going to the best institution that can help me grow it further.
$1M transfer from one institution to another for about an hour of time, it's worth it at least to me for $2k. If they allow it, I'd be doing it every day as my day job :) I don't see any risk with transfer in-kind.
I've taken advantage of these transfer rewards many times and I'll keep doing it.
signature closed for renovation
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1561 posts
943 upvotes
Calgary
angel_wing0 wrote: Ah, this promo is back again =)

Note: I was the one who posted the same promo last year :lol:
Beat you this year lol. I was informed by my account manager. I was going to transfer my stock account from itrade to cibc last year but missed the deadline.
Aug 27, 2011
337 posts
700 upvotes
Newmarket
I just accepted an offer at cibc and have to transfer all my securities to cibc investor edge for monitoring and compliance reasons. This will be a good timing to transfer my securities.

Does anyone know if I can hold GBP, Euros or HKD denominated securities with investor edge? I have some European and HK listed stocks and if I do a in-kind transfer, don’t how that works.
Jan 12, 2007
425 posts
203 upvotes
Orleans
geoffs wrote: I am CPA, CMA, etc...I get over 30%/year on my self directed investments over the last 5 years and on my mutual funds (safety money) I still get about 1.3% per month some of which I have structured to defer tax using t-series funds.
What has this got to do with anything? If you're self direct at TD, and you move $1M to self direct in a CIBC Investors edge account (and leave it there for 6 months), you'll get a $2000 kickback.
They do this type of promo specifically to draw funds in from people paying high fees for managed accounts.

There is no requirement to put it into any managed funds that would bleed off MER expenses.

Super weird post from somebody who claims to be a professional bean counter.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1046 posts
867 upvotes
JasonTTL wrote: I'm sorry, what? Nothing you said here makes any sense. Who is getting paid a 2% DSC? Deferred sales charges are no longer common to begin with, and are in fact banned by the Ontario Securities Commission as of next year.

You are claiming a return of "over 30% per year", what are you invested in? That is a ridiculous return, and it sounds like you must be better than Warren Buffett. COVID-19 quantitative easing excluded, I'd love to hear what you invested in from 2016-2019 to generate such lofty, consistent returns.

Also, if you truly are a CPA, you should do some reading on t-series funds. The tax deferral on t-series is a myth except in one very rare exception that does not apply to most people.

For anyone else reading this, I wouldn't go near this guy, and I am also a CPA.
That's my personal return on self directed...wish I had the backing of buffet: just one guy in my spare time, but I have seen friends and acquaintances do much better. Join an investor club and COMPETE!

oh, and DSC still there for many places now.
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1273 posts
351 upvotes
I did the promo last time and how smooth your experience will be YMMV.

I had to follow up many times to ensure the transfer was completed in a timely manner.
My transfer of assets (in-kind) was actually done outside of their required window (even though I submitted my paper work/application before their deadlines). This meant there was a chance I was disqualified - which meant it was one more item for me to follow up with Investors edge.

At the end of the day I got the bonus and a transfer fee credit, but it was definitely the bumpiest ride I had with brokerage promos.