Investing

Is CIBC Investor's Edge the Best Deal for us?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2021 3:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5383 posts
1245 upvotes
Montreal
AnthonyL140 wrote: For most people's needs cibc is fine. $4.95 per trade I pay and the only thing I hate about them is 1. Won't give me Level 2 depth bc I don't trade enough 2. When I buy stocks on the Canadian exhange I have to call in any bids that go to the 3rd decimal.

Other than that they are fine
Isn't it 6.95 per trade at CIBC? Having the ability to contribute and trade in USD may finally make them a broker worth considering at this point.
Dec 16, 2013
405 posts
70 upvotes
Vaughan
I pay $4.95 have all my assets with them. Mortgage, investments etc

The app works well to, was trading on it while in Cancun last week
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5409 posts
1657 upvotes
Toronto
cn_habs wrote: Isn't it 6.95 per trade at CIBC? Having the ability to contribute and trade in USD may finally make them a broker worth considering at this point.
You can also get an active trader account for 4.95 per, if you do 150 transactions per quarter.
Oct 29, 2013
906 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
I've been using CIBC Investors Edge for years, and I love the interface, I'm a couch potato investor, and don't need all the fancy charts/newsletters. It does what it needs and has the best price per trade. User Interface is debatable and everyone has their preferences, the platform works as intended and is fast enough for me lol. If you are already banking with CIBC its a no brainer to go with IE as its easy to transfer in and out of your chequering accounts and easy to link your IE account to your debit card so you can easily jump to the IE platform from your chequeing banking page.

They also just released an new iOS/Android app for trading and it has a refreshed modern interface. I recommend all to check it out. Also I got in my notifications when I logged into online banking that a new refreshed User Interface is coming for online banking and Investors edge so for those who haven't seen Investors Edge in a while there is something to be excited about heh and for those already using it, its gonna get better :)
Last edited by doubletwist on Feb 19th, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5409 posts
1657 upvotes
Toronto
doubletwist wrote: I've been using CIBC Investors Edge for years, and I love the interface, I'm a couch potato investor, and don't need all the fancy charts/newsletters. It does what it needs and has the best price per trade. User Interface is debatable and everyone has their preferences, the platform works as intended and is fast enough for me lol. If you are already banking with CIBC its a no brainer to go with IE as its easy to transfer in and out of your chequering accounts and easy to link your IE account to your debit card so you can easily jump to the IE platform from your chequering banking page.

They also just released an new iOS/Android app for trading and it has a refreshed modern interface. I recommend all to check it out. Also I got in my notifications when I logged into online banking that a new refreshed User Interface is coming for online banking and Investors edge so for those who haven't seen Investors Edge in a while there is something to be excited about heh and for those already using it, its gonna get better :)
Don't like IE mobile site/app. Two major issues for me, 1) on intra-day it doesn't show the percentage change of the stock prices. It only shows the dollar value change, which I find kinda useless and not give me a *quick* overall image of the movements of my individual holdings. I don't want to do a calculation for figure out each stock price % percentage change.
2) Several time I wasn't able to place an order... it keeps saying I need to select a sub-account (e.g. TSFA CAD or TSFA USD), but yet "pay from" field is grey-ed out.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1146 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, started the process to transfer two of my accounts to CIBC.

The customer rep said that the promotion ($200 cash for 50K transfer, and $400 cash for 100K transfer) applies for each account. This means that if you have two accounts over 100K each, you'll get $800 in cash.

They will also cover the transfer out fees. Plus, you'll get 50 free trades for the first 60 days of trading.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5409 posts
1657 upvotes
Toronto
doubletwist wrote: Have you called IE support I'm sure they could help you with this, funny thing I actually prefer intraday changes in dollar ($) amounts vs percentages however giving the option would be preferred :)
Not sure if a rep on phone can change how the app is coded. I like both, dollar amount and percentage. Even the app's account balance page shows both, but in the intra-day page it doesn't.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3398 posts
503 upvotes
If you transfer in an account and receive the cashback, do you have to keep your account for a minimum period? Can I take advantage of another promotion next year and transfer out of CIBC without them clawing back the cashback?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5383 posts
1245 upvotes
Montreal
boyohboy wrote: Don't like IE mobile site/app. Two major issues for me, 1) on intra-day it doesn't show the percentage change of the stock prices. It only shows the dollar value change, which I find kinda useless and not give me a *quick* overall image of the movements of my individual holdings. I don't want to do a calculation for figure out each stock price % percentage change.
2) Several time I wasn't able to place an order... it keeps saying I need to select a sub-account (e.g. TSFA CAD or TSFA USD), but yet "pay from" field is grey-ed out.
Can some else please confirm if that's the case? I am used to the % change part too.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1815 posts
967 upvotes
Ok, started the process to transfer two of my accounts to CIBC.

The customer rep said that the promotion ($200 cash for 50K transfer, and $400 cash for 100K transfer) applies for each account. This means that if you have two accounts over 100K each, you'll get $800 in cash.

They will also cover the transfer out fees. Plus, you'll get 50 free trades for the first 60 days of trading.

seems decent promo.
Dec 21, 2010
274 posts
189 upvotes
Do you know if CIBC IE allows DRIP on ETFs? Planning to open an account and buy ETFs.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2830 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto
khkchan wrote: Do you know if CIBC IE allows DRIP on ETFs? Planning to open an account and buy ETFs.
DRIP is set up at the account level, for example TFSA cash trading account. Once drip is activated on the account, any stock or ETF that pays a dividend and that dividend is at least big enough to buy 1 share it will re invest and deposit the leftover in cash.
Feb 5, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
cmackie wrote: Right now you only get a CAD account so foreign purchases/sales get automatically converted each transaction. With USD or other currency account, you can let the trades settle in their trading currency so you don't get dinged with high FX charges each time.
Contemplating to open account with CIBC IE, I like the opportunity to hold six additional currencies in account. Can anyone give an example of how that process executed i.e. I want convert to Euros. Can I do it online, broker representative? What the spread compared to official exchange rate? How much trade commission for this transaction?
Thank you in advance
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1010 upvotes
Saskatoon
How much CIBC charges for selling securities on foreign exchange (LSE in my case) ?
Does anyone know if I can transfer security in kind that was delisted from Canadian exchange and now trade on London stock exchange?
Questrade would change me 195 USD for this, because I can only sell it through trade desk not web platform , and security only worth 560 CAD.
Thanks.
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
Apr 23, 2018
2 posts
I signed up with CIBC late 2017 and had the same experience. I opened both an RRSP and a TFSA account. Took original signed copies to my branch both times and both times the applications got lost.
911bellboy wrote: CIBC's "Investor's Edge" has been anything but. Took more than an hour in branch to apply. Next, both the branch-faxed and internally mailed applications were LOST, both of them. These papers, which included my photocopied driver's license, social insurance number, birthdate, address, employment...

Missed the boat on the thing I wanted to buy, account is now 'Restricted' until I go to a branch and complete an application. Had to call and ask if I could transfer my money out, they transfered it, now here we are 3:30PM next day, no money in account, just very poorly run. My "Investor's Edge" experience has been a bumbling joke, steer clear of these clowns.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
7410 posts
7634 upvotes
"CIBC National Appreciation day"

Would they walk the talk? I decided to check and hit them up on a chat. This was about 15 minutes before the equity mkt closed. I posted it initially in another IE thread, but moved it here.

Excerpt;

<CSR>: Yes, you are right! Today is CIBC National Appreciation Day. You're our reason to celebrate and we thank you for choosing us.

<Me>: Are you still seeing if CM is offering anything to appreciate their clients?

<CSR> : CIBC Investor's Edge does not offer any promotion at the moment, but I will be more than happy to offer you some free trades, as a reward for your business!
I would like to offer you the equivalent of 3 free trades, that would be credited to your account. Which account do you use more often ?
Images
  • CIBC National Appreciation Day.JPG
  • CIBC National Appreciation Day.JPG
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1041 posts
423 upvotes
MrMom wrote: "CIBC National Appreciation day"

Would they walk the talk? I decided to check and hit them up on a chat. This was about 15 minutes before the equity mkt closed. I posted it initially in another IE thread, but moved it here.

Excerpt;

<CSR>: Yes, you are right! Today is CIBC National Appreciation Day. You're our reason to celebrate and we thank you for choosing us.

<Me>: Are you still seeing if CM is offering anything to appreciate their clients?

<CSR> : CIBC Investor's Edge does not offer any promotion at the moment, but I will be more than happy to offer you some free trades, as a reward for your business!
I would like to offer you the equivalent of 3 free trades, that would be credited to your account. Which account do you use more often ?
I guess I missed it. office is closed now. I'll call on Monday and ask anyways.

It's **** annoying how you need to bother companies to get any deals. Can't they just give it to everyone?
Oct 21, 2016
945 posts
717 upvotes
Questrade wrote: Hi ildong,

If you haven’t considered Questrade yet, I’ll outline some of our features for a $30k transfer:

- Up to $150 rebate to cover transfer fees.
- 25 free trades to use within one year, or a $50 Visa gift card, or two months of unlimited free trades.
- All ETFs are commission free to buy.
- No fee dividend reinvestment plan.
- No fees for withdrawals via electronic funds transfer.
- Excellent customer service. You can reach us by telephone, email, or online live chat.

Let me know if you have any questions about us.

Regards,

John – Team Questrade
Do you support journaling a security from cdn to usd ie norberts gambit free of charge? Also are usd ETF free to purchase?. Do you support usd accounts seperate from cdn dollar account for RRSP and TFSA? If you do not have a usd account option then when you sell a US security does it settle in Canadian dollars and do you charge an fx fee when it settles ? Can you avoid this ? Do you need a minimum balance to avoid account or inactivity fees if you do not conduct many trades ?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1041 posts
423 upvotes
how do they swing that? etfs are free? even leveraged ones?

so you can just sit around day trading etfs all day for free?