Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
CIBC

No Charge CIBC Prepaid VISA Cards

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2019 10:17 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2097 posts
971 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote:
elwebmaster wrote: I refrained from saying that this card is useless because I thought others may find a use for it, but as the discussion has turned in this direction, let me explain why I think this card really is useless:
1) Exchange rate is worse than Amazon.ca VISA (i.e. non-sense to use this for purchases if you can use the Amazon card)
2) Billing address cannot be changed easily (i.e. can't use this like many other prepaid cards which allow you to set a US address on the card and shop with it from retailers that take only US cards, whether item is shipped to a mailbox type service, or mail forward, or to a friend, or even for digital goods)
3) Requires CIBC account to top up (I think that's the worst part, so much hassle in keeping an account that offers you no real benefit over say Tangerine)

For purchases where you are trying to save on the exchange rate the Amazon visa is a better option. For other purchases where you need a prepaid card I personally find the Spectrocoin Bitcoin Debit Card (https://spectrocoin.com/en/bitcoin-debit-card.html) to be a more convenient choice. Yes, it does have a $1/month fee but it's only charged if there are funds on the card.
*Maximum lifetime load --- $2,500
Does this mean I can only load $2,500 for the entire lifetime of this card? Is that suppose to be a joke? Or better yet, entice me to believe it's better than the CIBC prepaid?
Yes, however you can create cards at will and the limit is lifted if you give them a copy of your ID and utility bill (which is much less than what you need to give CIBC to open an account).
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2018 upvotes
Scarborough
elwebmaster wrote:
OrangeBerry wrote:
elwebmaster wrote: I refrained from saying that this card is useless because I thought others may find a use for it, but as the discussion has turned in this direction, let me explain why I think this card really is useless:
1) Exchange rate is worse than Amazon.ca VISA (i.e. non-sense to use this for purchases if you can use the Amazon card)
2) Billing address cannot be changed easily (i.e. can't use this like many other prepaid cards which allow you to set a US address on the card and shop with it from retailers that take only US cards, whether item is shipped to a mailbox type service, or mail forward, or to a friend, or even for digital goods)
3) Requires CIBC account to top up (I think that's the worst part, so much hassle in keeping an account that offers you no real benefit over say Tangerine)

For purchases where you are trying to save on the exchange rate the Amazon visa is a better option. For other purchases where you need a prepaid card I personally find the Spectrocoin Bitcoin Debit Card (https://spectrocoin.com/en/bitcoin-debit-card.html) to be a more convenient choice. Yes, it does have a $1/month fee but it's only charged if there are funds on the card.
*Maximum lifetime load --- $2,500
Does this mean I can only load $2,500 for the entire lifetime of this card? Is that suppose to be a joke? Or better yet, entice me to believe it's better than the CIBC prepaid?
Yes, however you can create cards at will and the limit is lifted if you give them a copy of your ID and utility bill (which is much less than what you need to give CIBC to open an account).
The exchange rate might be very high on the cibc prepaid but if I were to get a secondary card in USD currency then I don't think I would get charged any FX rate at all since it's being used in USD currency. I might be wrong but that's the way I see it.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
djskynet wrote: Given the rewards attached to the Amazon Visa or the Rogers MC are pointless
Lol, what ?!? I get money back from Amazon Visa, how is that useless ?
Nov 5, 2017
27 posts
27 upvotes
CIBCis back with waiving the customization free... Hurry to grab..!!
Jan 2, 2018
218 posts
297 upvotes
Ontario
I have a few questions about this Canadian Prepaid CIBC card. It says in the FAQs that:

Load from your CIBC bank account or CIBC Personal Line of Credit, or with your credit or debit card at the Toronto Pearson Airport Banking Centre

I am wanting to confirm with someone that has done a load at Pearson, if you do load with a credit card does it come up as a cash advance? (If so what bank was it with?) Also do you have to load with a CIBC credit card or can it be any company?

Thanks
Jan 2, 2018
218 posts
297 upvotes
Ontario
JacobL284488 wrote: I have a few questions about this Canadian Prepaid CIBC card. It says in the FAQs that:

Load from your CIBC bank account or CIBC Personal Line of Credit, or with your credit or debit card at the Toronto Pearson Airport Banking Centre

I am wanting to confirm with someone that has done a load at Pearson, if you do load with a credit card does it come up as a cash advance? (If so what bank was it with?) Also do you have to load with a CIBC credit card or can it be any company?

Thanks
Does anyone have an answer to this? If so what cards do and do not charge a Cash Advance? Looking at doing a load before an upcoming trip. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2011
1479 posts
1678 upvotes
YYZ
JacobL284488 wrote: Does anyone have an answer to this? If so what cards do and do not charge a Cash Advance? Looking at doing a load before an upcoming trip. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
A couple weeks ago I did a live chat and asked which CCs are accepted. They told me that they only take cash and debit for reloads. I'm not sure of my agent knew what he was talking about since the website still said CC was accepted.

My guess regarding a cash advance fee is that it'll be like the AC Conversion card, so Rogers MC and MBNA will incur credit card fees. This is purely a guess, but if you want to be safe, try a CIBC credit card.
Bell - Unlimited Canada Wide Calling, Intl Text + 6GB of Data - $50

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)