• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 1:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3153 posts
685 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote: could be why cibc is doing this. To keep as many people from rbc as possible.Lets face it. How many people will switch over when you have the cibc dividend platinum that doesn't tie you down to one specific gas station for free?
i had only signed up for the card specifically for petro... so, i'm holding out activating my visa but the statement is already showing visa. i'm going to use the MC until the Aug 19th deadline to get my 2c off. I did received the preferred 2c card but it is only 150L... I can use that all up in 2 fill ups.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Aug 9, 2005
784 posts
279 upvotes
Kontos wrote: So those of us with the visa dividend card now that are getting 4% cashback on gas...that's permanent right? Not one of those until Aug 31st type things?

I got the 4% gas, 2% groceries 0.5% everything else version of this card. And looking at CIBC's website I don't see their dividend card mentioning 4% on gas at all. That' just a perk for those who had their card converted?
I don't know what the special offer is on the regular Dividend Visa, but those that got the Platinum Dividend get the 4% on gas (&groceries) even after the 31st.
https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... -card.html

The Regular Div Visa gives you 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else.

Did you get a Grey or Red card?

If I had to guess though, if regular visa is giving 4% on gas, that part may be done after the 31st, much like the "4% on everything" for the plats.
I don't downvote. Why? Karma.
Mar 4, 2016
367 posts
223 upvotes
dokechi wrote: I don't know what the special offer is on the regular Dividend Visa, but those that got the Platinum Dividend get the 4% on gas (&groceries) even after the 31st.

The Regular Div Visa gives you 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else.

Did you get a Grey or Red card?

If I had to guess though, if regular visa is giving 4% on gas, that part may be done after the 31st, much like the "4% on everything" for the plats.
I got the red card. I just checked and the original letter I got was similar to this Image so I don't see why the 4% gas would go away. Phew
Aug 24, 2005
780 posts
375 upvotes
Etobicoke
Kontos wrote: I got the red card. I just checked and the original letter I got was similar to this Image so I don't see why the 4% gas would go away. Phew

something funny going on here. I got my replacement card too and there is no mention of 4% cash back on the first $6,000 whatsoever.

all it mentions:
- Get 2% cashback on all purchases from now to August 31, 2017
After Aug 31, 2017
- Get 2% cashback on first $6,000 groceries
- 1% cashback all other purchases over $6,000
- 0.5% cashback on first $6,000 of all other purchases
- No limit of total cash back earned

So no mentioned of gas whatsoever. Is there more than one version of the replacement card?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2023 posts
309 upvotes
Ottawa
Cheapowill wrote: something funny going on here. I got my replacement card too and there is no mention of 4% cash back on the first $6,000 whatsoever.

all it mentions:
- Get 2% cashback on all purchases from now to August 31, 2017
After Aug 31, 2017
- Get 2% cashback on first $6,000 groceries
- 1% cashback all other purchases over $6,000
- 0.5% cashback on first $6,000 of all other purchases
- No limit of total cash back earned

So no mentioned of gas whatsoever. Is there more than one version of the replacement card?
There is... and you got the lowest one (like I did). Some people here who bank with CIBC more got a more premium card.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Feb 21, 2009
371 posts
415 upvotes
nabate wrote: I also received my Platinum no fee card today. With regards to the bonus my insert included was for the regular dividend card referring to 2% cash back on all purchases. Going to call them to confirm i qualify for the 4% on the first 5000 based on the Platinum card they issued.
Were you able to confirm if it is 4% on all purchases?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1023 posts
118 upvotes
Brampton
Based on my June statement under promotions they have calculated the promotional bonus based on the card and not the bill insert which was incorrect.
Aug 9, 2005
784 posts
279 upvotes
Interesting, Now PC is entering the game with bonus PC points if you use their MC to fill up at Esso. Seeing as how they are part of the CIBC family, it only strengthens the idea that CIBC is partnering with Esso.
Apr 3, 2007
641 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys
Just got a call from cibc about thia card. They were wondering why i didnt activate the med level card i got and i told them I was pretty upset that i couldn't get the perks of the platinum card so i jumped ship to the mbna platinum 2% cash back card.

After a few phone calls i was able to get the platinum visa with one year no annual fee! im probably going to use it for a year and then cancel the card if i dont get the fee waived for next year.

So for those that didnt activate be ready for some type of phone call...for those that did activate it...you probably womt be able to get it.

Also I was told that i was getting 4 percent cashback on gas until the end of August as of now....butnow its 4 percent for the whole year. Woot!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2023 posts
309 upvotes
Ottawa
Seoulkid wrote: Hey guys
Just got a call from cibc about thia card. They were wondering why i didnt activate the med level card i got and i told them I was pretty upset that i couldn't get the perks of the platinum card so i jumped ship to the mbna platinum 2% cash back card.

After a few phone calls i was able to get the platinum visa with one year no annual fee! im probably going to use it for a year and then cancel the card if i dont get the fee waived for next year.

So for those that didnt activate be ready for some type of phone call...for those that did activate it...you probably womt be able to get it.

Also I was told that i was getting 4 percent cashback on gas until the end of August as of now....butnow its 4 percent for the whole year. Woot!
I received a phone call on Friday I believe from CIBC. I don't intend on ever activating the card.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Aug 9, 2005
784 posts
279 upvotes
matradley wrote: I received a phone call on Friday I believe from CIBC. I don't intend on ever activating the card.
Why not? If it's the Plat it's the best non-fee card out there, and if it's not, you can at least try to get it upgraded to the plat like some people on this thread have done.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2023 posts
309 upvotes
Ottawa
dokechi wrote: Why not? If it's the Plat it's the best non-fee card out there, and if it's not, you can at least try to get it upgraded to the plat like some people on this thread have done.
I could - they did offer me the junk card.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Nov 16, 2008
327 posts
192 upvotes
yeah the Platinum is a pretty decent card... didn't hit me at first but at $1.00/L in gas that's 4 cents off per litre...

I was trying to use my PetroCan card till the end of its life (Aug 31st) but have fully switched now.

No limit cash back is pretty legit. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5529 posts
1922 upvotes
GTEH!
matradley wrote: I received a phone call on Friday I believe from CIBC. I don't intend on ever activating the card.
dokechi wrote: Why not? If it's the Plat it's the best non-fee card out there, and if it's not, you can at least try to get it upgraded to the plat like some people on this thread have done.
Got the same phone message and have the basic Dividend Card replacement. Called in and tried to get upgrade to no fee Platinum Dividend, got declined. 3rd time trying. Will probably NOT activate card and cancel.
hamachi wrote: yeah the Platinum is a pretty decent card... didn't hit me at first but at $1.00/L in gas that's 4 cents off per litre...

I was trying to use my PetroCan card till the end of its life (Aug 31st) but have fully switched now.

No limit cash back is pretty legit. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Last day to use Petro Can Mastercard and receive the 2 cents/L off is Aug. 19, not Aug.31.
😎
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3153 posts
685 upvotes
Well, my parents shops at No Frills that only accepts MC as payment... so the new CIBC card is useless... I haven't activated and I don't think I will...

Started looking at other cards... I am going to call MBNA and see if I can upgrade my current MC...

Is Petro partnering with another bank? MBNA? Capitol One?
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂