CIBC Petro-Points MC will be replaced with Dividend (Platinum) Visa

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 1:00 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 17, 2016
150 posts
94 upvotes
I got the 4% gas/2% groceries card so i held off on activating it. Today in the mail I received an offer for $25 extra upon activation!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4130 posts
754 upvotes
Richmond
CrazyJo82 wrote: Well, my parents shops at No Frills that only accepts MC as payment... so the new CIBC card is useless... I haven't activated and I don't think I will...

Started looking at other cards... I am going to call MBNA and see if I can upgrade my current MC...

Is Petro partnering with another bank? MBNA? Capitol One?
easy way around that. buy gcs at gas stations or 7 11 or rcss/loblaws that take visa
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2023 posts
309 upvotes
Ottawa
I ended up calling in to cancel everything - they offered me the lowest Dividend card. The only pitch they made to me before I cancelled was to ask me if I wanted to keep it for just-in-case.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Sep 4, 2007
601 posts
77 upvotes
Orange Key holder in…
OK, I can't figure out my 4% rebate per the statement.

If it is 4% on everything, then say my statement balance is $1000, I should receive $40.

I realized my 1st statement under the new Visa card does not work out to 4%.

Anybody checked theirs?

BTW, I have the 4/2/0.5 one but for the bonus till Aug 31, it is suppose to be 4% across the board. Right?

Here is my 1st statement:

Retail and Grocery 231.47
Personal and Household Expenses 10.40
Home and Office Improvement 10.04
Transportation 41.87
Restaurants 25.97
Transportation 8.78
Personal and Household Expenses 74.51
Personal and Household Expenses 35.00
Transportation 40.00
Restaurants 56.53
Restaurants 23.10
Transportation 38.00
Retail and Grocery 7.16
Health and Education 129.54
Transportation 47.24
Home and Office Improvement 20.07
Restaurants 32.58
Restaurants 30.55
Health and Education 210.00
Restaurants 39.33
Total 1112.14

Cash Back Summary
As at last statement + 0.00
This statement
4% Cash Back + 5.53
Promotions + 11.07
2% Cash Back + 4.78
Cash Back + 3.73
Total Cash Back = 25.11

The only thing that is correct is the transportation category. My total spent does indeed get 4% back.
Sep 4, 2007
601 posts
77 upvotes
Orange Key holder in…
I got my 2nd statement and I still don't get 4% back.

So I found the package I received with the card and I can't believe I misread the promo they offered.

The letter only said "Get bonus cash back on all your spending up to 5000 until Aug 31, 2017. See the enclosed letter for details"

Somehow, I missed the part on the enclosed letter only said ".. get at least 2% cash back on all your purchases until August 31, 2017".

Oh no, I mixed up what I have been reading here.

Those that got the platinum has the 4% bonus on everything till 8/31. Mine is the red regular dividend card with 4/2/0.5.

Darn it!Disappointed Face
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5560 posts
1935 upvotes
GTEH!
Last week to use Petro MasterCard and receive the 2 cents off/L before it's deactivated Aug.19, according to CIBC letter and Petro Canada.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6588 posts
2437 upvotes
Montreal
I received the basic Divident card. I threw out the letter, but was the activation offer 2% cashback on everything until August 17?
Wanna book a vacation package, might as well use the 2%...
Nov 17, 2016
150 posts
94 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: I received the basic Divident card. I threw out the letter, but was the activation offer 2% cashback on everything until August 17?
Wanna book a vacation package, might as well use the 2%...
I got the .5%/2%(Grocery)/4% (Gas) basic card. Last day for 2% cash back on everything for me is August 31.
Aug 9, 2005
784 posts
279 upvotes
Last week to get that bonus!!

It seems a little short-sighted to remove all CIBC machines from their stores. I get that they're going to be replaced with whatever bank they go with, but for those who have been with them for a while (or those who simply live/work closer to a PC store) it's going to be a constant reminder of how they essentially dumped us.

What I'm hopeful for now is that PC will team up with someone with a visa card so No Frills will finally accept it...
I don't downvote. Why? Karma.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2009
1284 posts
677 upvotes
Calgary
dokechi wrote: Last week to get that bonus!!

It seems a little short-sighted to remove all CIBC machines from their stores. I get that they're going to be replaced with whatever bank they go with, but for those who have been with them for a while (or those who simply live/work closer to a PC store) it's going to be a constant reminder of how they essentially dumped us.

What I'm hopeful for now is that PC will team up with someone with a visa card so No Frills will finally accept it...
I'm pretty sure this thread is talking about Petro-Canada MC not PC financial... Petro-Canada has nothing to do with No Frills and loblaw.
Aug 9, 2005
784 posts
279 upvotes
^^ Yeah, I was thinking of several recent developments regarding Gas-related Credit Cards, and didn't want to repost everywhere. Let me summarize:

-Petro MC is discontinued, and CIBC offered the plat/div visa as compensation (This topic)
-Esso cut ties with RBC, cancelling the RBC Esso Card at the same time the Petro MC is phased out.
-PC Financial is offering bonus points for Esso purchases made with their PC MC. Also they are cutting ties with CIBC for their banking.
-Throw in Shell offering $.05 off per litre for the next month for airmiles members, meaning BMO (which has several Airmiles Cards) might also be getting into this.

Petro might not have a direct connection to PC (yet), but it's hard to think all these developments aren't connected somehow.
Jun 9, 2017
48 posts
6 upvotes
I received an e-mail from Petro-Points Reward this afternoon

New! Introductory offer with RBC Royal Bank of Canada™.
Continue to instantly save 2¢ per litre on fuel purchases at Petro-Canada™. Just pay with any RBC credit card* to enjoy these fuel savings. Offer ends October 30th, 2017. No minimum purchase required.
We are excited about this new relationship with RBC and look forward to sharing more great offers with you soon!

The link in the e-mail directs you to the following:

https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-car ... nada/2cpl/
Aug 9, 2005
784 posts
279 upvotes
Anyone else getting a big non-grocery purchase and then returning after their billing date?
Thinking of getting a GoPro & some other expensive electronics from Walmart, and then returning them unopened in a couple weeks.
I figure after August they'll take away the 1% bonus from the refund, meaning we'll keep the remaining 3% earned on the original purchase.