• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 1:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1543 posts
275 upvotes
Webhead wrote: I believe the Points are credited to your PP Account automatically.
Thanks, but if the card changes, how do they tally/link the account? May be I will call and ask
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5529 posts
1922 upvotes
GTEH!
busybe wrote: Thanks, but if the card changes, how do they tally/link the account? May be I will call and ask
?? CIBC PetroPoints Mastercard and Petro Canada are ending this partnership in May 2017.
When CIBC switches you to another CIBC VISA card, in May, you will no longer accumulate Petro-points on the VISA card.
😎
Mar 8, 2006
662 posts
206 upvotes
Received the offer letter with 2% groceries, which is useless. Will call and ask for the 4% one. it they reject, I will cancel it.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1543 posts
275 upvotes
I just called an asked. The petro points are credited to your petro account so they will stay put.

Also, I got the 2%, .5% and 1% and when i asked why, I was told that it depends on how many cibc products do you have, imperial service client, loans, credit cards, bank accounts etc and accordingly the cards have been sent out. I was also told that they have a new card which will be offered for free to petropoints card holder (otherwise $40 annual fee), which is basically travel card.

busybe wrote: Thanks, but if the card changes, how do they tally/link the account? May be I will call and ask
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2005
1580 posts
2135 upvotes
St Clements, MB
I hope the new Perto-Points credit card will be a multi-branded MasterCard fron Capital One in partnership with Hudson's Bay Rewards.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2812 posts
1335 upvotes
cslusarc wrote: I hope the new Perto-Points credit card will be a multi-branded MasterCard fron Capital One in partnership with Hudson's Bay Rewards.
Wow. Reminds me of the proverb ... If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
Loose lips sink ships. | Her Majesty's Naval Service
May 17, 2012
534 posts
381 upvotes
Montreal
fortune88 wrote: Received the offer letter with 2% groceries, which is useless. Will call and ask for the 4% one. it they reject, I will cancel it.
Curious if you did and if you were able to get the 4% one?

Given that the "cash"back with this card was so bad compared to my other cards I had stopped using it altogether for the past 12+ months ... I got the super crappy offer of 2% cashback on grocery, 0.5/1% on the rest too, which indeed is useless. I have a Scotiabank Momentum Infinite VISA that i would gladly replace by the one from OP that gives 4% cashback on gas and groceries, I don't really spend more than 6000$ on groceries (I do a lot of Costco grocery shopping) or gas (work from home) so this would be PERFECT with no annual fees.

If not, anyone else was able to get the 4% on gas/grocery one when that's not what they got offered in the first place?
m
EDIT : read through the posts, I assume it will be a NO for me but will give it a try tomorrow ... This is my only product with them that I got when I was in college and that has a super low limit that they never raised (90% smaller limit thant Tangerine MC or Scotia VISA) and that I haven't used for 1+ year... URgh
Dec 14, 2007
526 posts
1387 upvotes
Hello guys. About this cibc switch, i have a question about credit history we built on this Petro Points card in past 10-12 Years. With new visa card option, our credit history we built on Petro Points Mastercard will remain intact or it will be erased and it's going to be brand new profile. Just as we are applying for brand new card. Your opinion will be appreciated. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4129 posts
754 upvotes
Richmond
Webhead wrote: Have another CIBC Visa card since 1995, Line of Credit, chequing account, Imperial Service Client. Non of this mattered to the CSR. They didn't upgrade from the lowest regular Dividend to the Dividend Platinum.

I did speak to Petro Canada and they said they are going to introduce a new CC in Partnership with another Bank. Wonder if it's MBNA. Hopefully it's a MC. Will wait and see.
hmmm what about usage in other catagories? would that explain anything? Could it be due to them being able to make money off you in non grocery catagories? Also if nothing else get
a product switch to the platinum for fyf promo plus 6 months 4% everywhere promo. Then downgrade.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5529 posts
1922 upvotes
GTEH!
bluebellrose wrote: hmmm what about usage in other catagories? would that explain anything? Could it be due to them being able to make money off you in non grocery catagories? Also if nothing else get
a product switch to the platinum for fyf promo plus 6 months 4% everywhere promo. Then downgrade.
It's possible that might be the reason, usage of CIBC products I have. I don't use them on a regular basis.
Oh, well. I have other credit cards for daily use. It would've been nice to have the Platinum Visa for 4% CB on gas/grocery purchases
😎
Mar 2, 2011
340 posts
57 upvotes
Gloucester
JayJJJ wrote: Got 2%, 1%, 0.5% version.
Called and talked with Megan. Converted the card to 4%,2%,1% on spot.
What did you tell them? Threaten to cancel the card? How long have you had the petro points mastercard with them for?
Jan 25, 2017
58 posts
54 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Have another CIBC Visa card since 1995, Line of Credit, chequing account, Imperial Service Client. Non of this mattered to the CSR. They didn't upgrade from the lowest regular Dividend to the Dividend Platinum.

I did speak to Petro Canada and they said they are going to introduce a new CC in Partnership with another Bank. Wonder if it's MBNA. Hopefully it's a MC. Will wait and see.
I just looked at the Petro Points website and I see that Hudson's Bay Rewards is a new partner. Hmm, wondering if CapitalOne will be the issuer of the new Petro Points credit card? Either them or MBNA, TD, or Scotiabank. I'm pretty sure it won't be RBC as they have their RBC Esso Visa and pretty sure it won't be BMO either as BMO has their Shell branded MasterCards
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1817 posts
51 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
MountainView11 wrote: I just looked at the Petro Points website and I see that Hudson's Bay Rewards is a new partner. Hmm, wondering if CapitalOne will be the issuer of the new Petro Points credit card? Either them or MBNA, TD, or Scotiabank. I'm pretty sure it won't be RBC as they have their RBC Esso Visa and pretty sure it won't be BMO either as BMO has their Shell branded MasterCards
From what I had realized - Scotiabank offers the "More Rewards Visa" - but that card is normally catered for people who collect "More Rewards" points in Western Canada (due to the fact that the rewards program is from the Overwaitea Food Group - you know, the guys behind PriceSmart Foods and Save-On-Foods) - or something like that.

TD already offers some of their Visa card products with Aeroplan. As for CIBC, they also offer Aeroplan Visa cards - but only problem is, for how long (owning to the fact that Aeroplan had partnered with TD since 2014)?
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Sep 2, 2012
191 posts
19 upvotes
FutureHeartsJunkie wrote: From what I had realized - Scotiabank offers the "More Rewards Visa" - but that card is normally catered for people who collect "More Rewards" points in Western Canada (due to the fact that the rewards program is from the Overwaitea Food Group - you know, the guys behind PriceSmart Foods and Save-On-Foods) - or something like that.

TD already offers some of their Visa card products with Aeroplan. As for CIBC, they also offer Aeroplan Visa cards - but only problem is, for how long (owning to the fact that Aeroplan had partnered with TD since 2014)?
If Aeroplan would drop CIBC someday, it may be a good time to start building a relationship with CIBC, get their Aeroplan card, spend money on the card regularly, if possible, large purchases, by the time CIBC drop the Aeroplan card, the card holder will have a healthy relationship with CIBC and CIBC can offer the card holder a premium card instead of a regular card that will be offered to those customers who do not have a strong relationship with CIBC. The CIBC Telus card may be a candidate for building relationships as well.
Jan 25, 2017
58 posts
54 upvotes
tessar wrote: If Aeroplan would drop CIBC someday, it may be a good time to start building a relationship with CIBC, get their Aeroplan card, spend money on the card regularly, if possible, large purchases, by the time CIBC drop the Aeroplan card, the card holder will have a healthy relationship with CIBC and CIBC can offer the card holder a premium card instead of a regular card that will be offered to those customers who do not have a strong relationship with CIBC. The CIBC Telus card may be a candidate for building relationships as well.
Aeroplan signed a 10 year credit card deal with TD and CIBC that runs until December 31, 2023. CIBC was Aeroplan's credit card partner from the beginning in 1991, they had a number of contractual agreements, the last of which was to expire on December 31, 2013. In the summer of 2013, Aeroplan chose TD as their financial card partner starting January 1, 2014. CIBC was not happy and protested and eventually the three companies arrived at a compromise where TD would acquire approximately half of the current CIBC Aeroplan cardholders while CIBC would retain the rest and that both TD and CIBC would accept new applications for Aeroplan branded credit cards.

The CIBC TELUS Rewards Visa was discontinued last fall, after only about a year and a half after it was introduced