[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2569 posts
1571 upvotes
GVRD

CIK Customer: Free ZTE H268A AC Wifi router

I just received an email from CIK (in Chinese). Google translate as follow:
CIK latest super wireless router free upgrade program - only 500 clients per month

Dear Customer:

"Customer is God" for the mission to serve the CIK Canadian telecommunications company, has been in continuous efforts to upgrade our equipment and service quality. Early this year, CIK Telecom completed the upgrading of the backbone network so that we can provide download speeds of up to 100Mbps or more network services in Canada across the country for the user. At the same time, we also launched the latest hardware, which includes telephone box functions, including CIK Gigabit Dual Band Wireless AC Router H268A, to support the effective transmission speed Fast results when terminal. The router can support both Cable and DSL network connection, using the calculation process faster, a more powerful CPU, can support up to 1000Mbps network download speeds. At the same time, the router also provides two 2.4G and 5.0G wireless frequency bands, so that the wireless signal transmission faster and more stable.

In order to allow more long-term support and trust of our loyal customers to experience the latest equipment CIK telecommunications, and enjoy faster network services, from October 1, 2016, we will distribute 500 free wireless Gigabit per month H268A routing equipment to existing customers to CIK Telecom, first-served basis.

CIK Telecommunications existing customers as long as the following conditions are met, you can apply for a lifetime warranty and free use of the CIK Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router AC / telephone box. (Purchase price of the equipment is $ 149.- rental price is $ 4.99 per month.)

Must be a CIK Internet users, including user FTTN, DSL or Cable Internet service.
CIK must use Internet services for over a year.
Agree to increase the two-year service agreement and existing services on the basis of the price *.
If you need our wireless routing device sent to your specified address, you need to pay postage costs $ 19.95. If you personally go to CIK Telecom is located in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal customer support center to receive device, the fee will be waived.

You only need this Email forwarded to care.cs@ciktel.com can apply for the free hardware upgrades.

The application is free for life gigabit router users, please note the following:

* Apply for this free hardware upgrade, you need commitment from a free upgrade hardware H268A after opening at the same service and price to continue to use existing services CIK two years. If you have any change or cancellation during this two-year service agreement, we will charge a cancellation fee in advance (by the service has been considered by the month $ 4.99 / month or up to a one-time fee of $ 99).
As long as you keep using the CIK Telecom's Internet service, you will receive a wireless router device H268A free lifetime replacement warranty or guarantee.
If you cancel the CIK Telecom's Internet services, you must return to the company H268A wireless routing equipment, otherwise you need to pay $ 149.
CIK Gigabit Dual Band Wireless AC Router H268A is dedicated to CIK Telecom's network services designed, we can not guarantee that the device in other network environments can use all the features.
If your existing Wuxiandianhua [IP phone ATA adapter] routing device or VDSL equipment purchases, you can keep it, if it is on loan from CIK, you need to use the included free mailing label to put Canada Post.

CIK telecommunications company in recent years through continuous efforts to complete the backbone network upgrade and enhance the network speed greatly improves the user's web browsing experience. CIK telecommunications achievements for all to see, but also the IT industry won the unanimous recognition and praise. Following the CIK Telecom in 2015 by the famous American network speed evaluation website SpeedTest named Ontario, Canada 4th fastest Internet service providers, the company is more in September 2016 by the international media, IT reviews "PC Magazine" the most authoritative That PC Magazine as one of the ten fastest-growing Internet service provider in Canada. CIK telecommunications network speed survey results even better than the Canadian communications industry in the field of telecommunications giant Telus Telus. (For more details, please refer to the report: http://www.pcmag.com/article/346234/fas ... 016-canada )

thank,

CIK Telecom Inc
Market
I think the translation is very accurate. I can clarify if needed to to be.

Manual submitted FCC: https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2986054
Youtube Video:

No matter how I see it, it is NOT a cable modem, but I don't mind having another router kicking around for me to play. Those of us who are on lifetime $30 25/2.5M should be getting it since unlikely we will switch provider at that price and this will at the very least lock the price down for 2 years in case they decided to jack up the price (like Shaw).
25 replies
Mar 26, 2016
2 posts
6 upvotes
I got the new router. Everything seems to be good, pretty much plug and play. If only I could access the admin settings in the default gateway...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2569 posts
1571 upvotes
GVRD
I suspect the router is pre-configed and you can only access the customized admin paged that CIK provisioned. I am sure there should be a root password that can give you access to everything. I will pick up my router when I come back from my trip
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5366 posts
517 upvotes
Is this modem/router worth the 2 year contract that you have to sign, compared to their standard modem/router?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1637 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
Arrow wrote: Is this modem/router worth the 2 year contract that you have to sign, compared to their standard modem/router?
+1 Does it increase speeds by a significant amount?
They also quoted a $19.99 shipping fee when I inquired about it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2569 posts
1571 upvotes
GVRD
Arrow wrote: Is this modem/router worth the 2 year contract that you have to sign, compared to their standard modem/router?
I will pick it up and play with it. It is a VDSL modem, and it WILL NOT replace your cable modem. At the end of the day, it's just another AC1300 router (5Ghz up to 1.3Gbps, 2.4GHz up to 300Mbps).

Does it worth 2 years contract? Sure. I get to keep $30/m for 2 more years since there is no guarantee CIK won't increase rates when Shaw is *probably* pushing CIK to increase rate. I am happy with my service and will happily stay for longer.

It's free to pick up and I am in Vancouver. I think CIK has Toronto office that you can pick up for free.
Nov 22, 2012
336 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
is there any reason to get this if the router you currently have is doing fine?

What features does this thing have?
Mar 29, 2007
212 posts
54 upvotes
Nepean
jjs0891 wrote: is there any reason to get this if the router you currently have is doing fine?
Not much if you're already using their KW 5262 and not upgrading to higher speed.
jjs0891 wrote: What features does this thing have?
If you're already using their KW 5262, the new router will give you AC wireless, if you care.

I am on the fence as well: $20 and 2 year contract. To go or not to go, is the question...
Nov 22, 2012
336 posts
92 upvotes
Vancouver
if you cancel CIK you have to return the router. So you are actually borrowing. It's not free.

Correct me if im wrong.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2569 posts
1571 upvotes
GVRD
I went to the store to pick it up, they turned me around said they were all given away.

This is just stupid, why bother having people to sign up and ask them to go to the office when they are all given away?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4428 posts
1896 upvotes
AB
pkphilip wrote: I went to the store to pick it up, they turned me around said they were all given away.
This is just stupid, why bother having people to sign up and ask them to go to the office when they are all given away?
I should've posted this when I got the message on Wednesday:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2569 posts
1571 upvotes
GVRD
I got that message too, but obviously I requested it on Oct 17, and I got instruction to pick one up and the office, I would expect there will be one with my name on it. :twisted:
Dear Philip,
This is to inform you that we have received your concern and it has been updated in your account. You can simply walk to our office to pick the device. We are sending you details of our office.

Vancouver 6490 Buswell St. Richmond, BC, V6Y 2E9 Monday – Friday: 10:00am to 6:30pm 604-628-3877

Thank you for your co-operation and support.

In case you need further assistance, please do call, chat or e-mail us as we're working 24 X 7.

Warm regards
Sahil. W
Customer services Dept
CIK Telecom Inc
284 Consumers Rd
Toronto ON M2J 1P8
So I just filed a complaint to the rep who asked me to go to the office, either they send me one for free when they have one in stock or put one aside for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4428 posts
1896 upvotes
AB
pkphilip wrote: I got that message too, but obviously I requested it on Oct 17, and I got instruction to pick one up and the office, I would expect there will be one with my name on it. :twisted:

So I just filed a complaint to the rep who asked me to go to the office, either they send me one for free when they have one in stock or put one aside for me.
Yeah, that was unfortunate. Hopefully you'll get it when they get a new batch of these on November 10.
Aug 9, 2012
348 posts
377 upvotes
BC
It appears that they are trying to get that $20. Like pkphilip, I also emailed them on Oct 23rd for the router, but was informed that they had run out of stock for instore pickups. I emailed them again on Oct 26 to be placed on the waiting list (as mentioned in their email about requests after Oct 22nd will be wait listed). I received this response today.
Greetings from CIK Telecom!

We appreciate your interest for participating in this upgrade program. I would like to inform you that we have received a huge number of customer participation for this offer. This was on a first come first serve basis and we have already disturbed the allotted stock to our users for this month.

Currently, we are not able to hand-over the router in any of your offices for walk-in customers. We prefer to ship the device while we have the next lot available with us for this upgrade campaign.

So, if you permit me I will create shipping request for you, so that as soon as we start distributing the next lot for this device (in the upcoming months), your request would be processed. Technically this will put you in the priority list for receiving this device than any new customer who requests for the same. Your 2-Year Term will start from the day you receive this router and it is activated in your account. If you are fine with this, I will charge the shipping fees of $19.95 + Tax.

Let me know what you suggest and I will process it accordingly.
It appears that the in store amounts may be very limited and a matter of knowing exactly when they arrive.... I doubt Vancouver gets that many to begin with though :(