CIK NEW 1GBPS FIBER FOR CONDO'S $30 MONTHLY

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2019 11:05 pm
[OP]
Nov 27, 2009
81 posts
18 upvotes

CIK NEW 1GBPS FIBER FOR CONDO'S $30 MONTHLY

Has anyone signed up for this as they came to my North York building making this offer. I know they have it already in some Toronto Buildings. I just cant believe this offer for 30.00 monthly + taxes for 1st year, don't know price after that , free install, no contract, mesh wifi included, cancel anytime.
What you think Guys and Gals?
46 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2976 posts
2889 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
My co-worker pays a similar super cheap service for fiber in his building.

I would not hesitate signing up, what do you have to lose? its no contract so if it sucks you can just cancel..
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5902 posts
1380 upvotes
GTA
What's the catch?

Contract with the bldg? quality issues?

CIK is notorious on RFD.
Nov 30, 2007
767 posts
266 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I signed up blindly with CIK in my condo (Mississauga) last year because it was such a good deal and I've been a happy camper since.
I've had no downtime or issues thus far.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1266 posts
594 upvotes
GTA
Was $25 no promo before but just with the modem, no other equipment.

Only available in condos where they install their own Fiber.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
My condo has a similar promo, but it's for life.

Apparently the reasoning behind it is that they sign up the entire building, send out one (or a couple) techs to do everyone at once rather than sending out a single tech once a week for every new sign up.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2009
81 posts
18 upvotes
Is this true fiber, and how is the connection done in the suite. Does that fiber cable weave its way thru the condo until it reaches the router next to the computer. Or do they drill holes in the wall. Basically what does the installation look like?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
stannie wrote: Is this true fiber, and how is the connection done in the suite. Does that fiber cable weave its way thru the condo until it reaches the router next to the computer. Or do they drill holes in the wall. Basically what does the installation look like?
I haven't gotten it yet, but I talked to the dude and apparently fiber is run to the mechanical room of the building.
From there they process it into Ethernet which is run to every floor. A switch splits it off from there to every unit.
In the unit is only Ethernet. There is no "modem" to speak of in the unit.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1266 posts
594 upvotes
GTA
stannie wrote: Is this true fiber, and how is the connection done in the suite. Does that fiber cable weave its way thru the condo until it reaches the router next to the computer. Or do they drill holes in the wall. Basically what does the installation look like?
Depends how old your condo is.

Won't be a dedicated Fiber line, will probably run a shared 12-24 Fibers between all tenants in the same building, most likely Bell Fiber backbone as well.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2009
81 posts
18 upvotes
I'm going to sign up and see what happens for 30.00 a month and cancel any time. Why not. Will provide a update when done
Thanks guys
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
is this an exclusive deal blocking out other internet providers to your building, or can anyone in a condo anywhere in GTA get this?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1266 posts
594 upvotes
GTA
badOne wrote: is this an exclusive deal blocking out other internet providers to your building, or can anyone in a condo anywhere in GTA get this?
Exclusive to where CIK has installed their own fiber lines. You still have cable and Bell plus resellers as your options.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1872 posts
892 upvotes
Is that a letter from your condo board, with the condition that everyone in the building has to sign up with them? Assuming the condo actually owns (and maintains) the wires going from mechanical room to individual units, I don't see any "catch" in this. The ISP doesn't own and maintain any "last mile" infrastructure, and only provide bulk data service. The "catch" is that when you bought your condo, you paid for the ethernet wires going into your unit, and your month condo fees probably goes to maintaining that wire, if it needs to be maintained.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5902 posts
1380 upvotes
GTA
It's a sign up and out of pocket so it's optional.

If it's bulk i.e. network install the $30 would be added to condo fees, not out of pocket. This is trouble for boards and few condos managed.

But $30 is within the range of bulk/wholesale pricing, which is the whole point of going bulk.

To me this is too good to be true, but I am curious if the quality is up to par i.e. better than Carrytel.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2009
81 posts
18 upvotes
UPDATE Cable buy came and installed fiber thru the telephone line. Took 1 hour. No inconvenience for me. Test speeds are all different as most of my equipment cant handle 1 Gbps. I am using it only with WIFI on the 2.4GHz network. My Ps4 has 5GHz but I don't know how to do a speed test on it. For 30.00 + tax I'm happy as I don't need 1 Gbps as this is overkill. My last provider speeds was 100 down and 10 up and it served all my needs. Basically I just want to run Netflix YouTube and streaming with no buffering.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
I believe CIK's website said $59.99 is their regular price. It appears this is not available at every condo building even if there is a fiber optic cable going into it.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1266 posts
594 upvotes
GTA
badOne wrote: I believe CIK's website said $59.99 is their regular price. It appears this is not available at every condo building even if there is a fiber optic cable going into it.
It's where they install their own like Beanfield.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5902 posts
1380 upvotes
GTA
stannie wrote: UPDATE Cable buy came and installed fiber thru the telephone line. Took 1 hour. No inconvenience for me. Test speeds are all different as most of my equipment cant handle 1 Gbps. I am using it only with WIFI on the 2.4GHz network. My Ps4 has 5GHz but I don't know how to do a speed test on it. For 30.00 + tax I'm happy as I don't need 1 Gbps as this is overkill. My last provider speeds was 100 down and 10 up and it served all my needs. Basically I just want to run Netflix YouTube and streaming with no buffering.
Cable guy installed a modem on your cable?
[OP]
Nov 27, 2009
81 posts
18 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote: Cable guy installed a modem on your cable?
No, it was installed thru the telephone line by the installer, as they have installed their own fiber in my condo building. They gave me a modem also. Happy so far with the service
Jan 8, 2015
800 posts
509 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote: It's where they install their own like Beanfield.
Is it better for the condo owners to own the fibre up to a certain point outside the building so they can all come to an agreement and secure a bulk price? That way they could switch providers when the agreement comes up for renewal? Is that easy to do?