Expired Hot Deals

[CIK Telecom] 50M Unlimited Internet $24.99/m, Free Modem Rental, No Upfront Cost (Quebec)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2019 3:12 pm
[OP]
Oct 23, 2018
43 posts
42 upvotes

50M Unlimited Internet $24.99/m, Free Modem Rental, No Upfront Cost (Quebec)

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
CIK Telecom
Just saw this great affordable FTTN Internet deal from Kijji. It might be the lowest price for the 50M Internet in Quebec area.

https://www.ciktel.com/promotion/cikdeal18
CIK Telecom's up to 50M/10M FTTN Unlimited Internet for ONLY $24.99/m for people living in Quebec for 1 year, afterwards the monthly price will be $34.99.
• 50Mbps Download speeds
• 10Mbps Upload Speeds
• Unlimited usage
• Activation Fee $0 (Original $69.95)
• Shipping $0 (Original $9.95)
• Free Wi-Fi Modem Rental

I don't see an expiration date. You may take advantage of it ASAP if you need internet or lower your monthly fee.
16 replies
Feb 23, 2010
192 posts
231 upvotes
Vancouver
I've had them for a month. This is the worst company to have as your internet provider by a mile.. And I've had quite a few of internet providers before.
- Their modem always malfunctions, even after I've got it replaced twice.
- Their customer service is the worst for any kind of issues you may have. They literally said "there's nothing we can do, you need to stop calling" to me.
- Also be aware of the hidden fees - they states their activation is free, but they will charge you a non-refundable "installation fee" without telling you. I was charged over $100 for the 1 month I was with them. When I called them about this, they told me it's my problem not reading the fine prints. But their rep never disclosed this fee when I signed up.
- Their internet speed is the worst between 6pm-10pm. When you call them, they tell you it's because of high traffic on the TV. (apparently when there's high usage of their TV service, the internet slows down too?!?!). I basically can't stream netflix or even youtube around this time. They get really laggy.

Enough of them. Paid for the mistake and moved on for good.
Feb 4, 2017
211 posts
248 upvotes
humble_kid wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 12:21 pm
I've had them for a month. This is the worst company to have as your internet provider by a mile.. And I've had quite a few of internet providers before.
- Their modem always malfunctions, even after I've got it replaced twice.
- Their customer service is the worst for any kind of issues you may have. They literally said "there's nothing we can do, you need to stop calling" to me.
- Also be aware of the hidden fees - they states their activation is free, but they will charge you a non-refundable "installation fee" without telling you. I was charged over $100 for the 1 month I was with them. When I called them about this, they told me it's my problem not reading the fine prints. But their rep never disclosed this fee when I signed up.
- Their internet speed is the worst between 6pm-10pm. When you call them, they tell you it's because of high traffic on the TV. (apparently when there's high usage of their TV service, the internet slows down too?!?!). I basically can't stream netflix or even youtube around this time. They get really laggy.

Enough of them. Paid for the mistake and moved on for good.
Are you on cable or FTTN?
Apr 13, 2018
63 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Good deal for FTTN, wish it available for Ontario.
Fido $0 data plan
Rogers 500M
Koodo $40 8G
May 5, 2017
25 posts
7 upvotes
Smith Falls
I got the 25m with Cik, got the Smartrg sr616 AC modem. Very happy with the service.
城仔
Feb 23, 2010
192 posts
231 upvotes
Vancouver
Zoughi1 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 12:22 pm
Are you on cable or FTTN?
I was on cable. This was a couple of years ago.

I just went to look up the reviews online on this company and it basically confirms my bad experience with them.

Canadian ISP review:
https://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/isp_ ... &ispid=150

Yelp review:
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/cik-telecom-markham

facebook review:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/CIK-Telecom ... 1/reviews/
Dec 19, 2016
40 posts
5 upvotes
I signed up with CIK for their 50M plan for few months, before I was paying bell $70 for the same speed. I don't notice the difference in performance. But my monthly bill is so much lower with CIK. Bell is truly robbing us with those ridiculous prices.
Oct 3, 2014
303 posts
264 upvotes
You're better off paying an extra 5$ and go with a more reputable company. Seems like a few ISPs are offering 50 mbps DSL for $30 lately.
[OP]
Oct 23, 2018
43 posts
42 upvotes
crockpot wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 2:28 pm
You're better off paying an extra 5$ and go with a more reputable company. Seems like a few ISPs are offering 50 mbps DSL for $30 lately.
IMO, these ISPs use the same lines from Bell or Videotron, so what's the differences among those?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1428 posts
1349 upvotes
I've been with Cannet (which is CIK) for over a year now. 75/10 for $40 including a wireless modem rental. I had them in two different GTA addresses and the service has been beyond excellent. Two very short outages (no more than one hour) and one time when my speed slowed to a crawl, a 15 minute call resolved everything. Speed is very stable. Below is the usual speeds I get even in the evenings. I have them on auto-pay and all payments are always accurately debited with monthly statements always coming in on time. Just couldn't be any happier than with this ISP for price and service.

Oct 24, 2016
1 posts
Can anyone comment on their CIK internet reliability and service in the Montreal area. For a little bit of context, everything I have, home-phone and my iptv are heavily relied on internet. We are member of 4 people that also streams a lot of youtube and movies in general.
Currently, I am paying for 50/10 plan for carrytel $44.99 per month, and the service has been exceptional. I was wondering if I would get the same service from CIK, while paying $20 less.
I heard mixed reviews while other having great success with the company and others saying that the service was a nightmare. My plan is basically stay with CIK for 12 months, and then transfer back to carrytel with 50/10 internet plan for a promotional price of 39.99. Unfortunately, I tried calling them in for the promotional price and they denied stating its only for new customers.
Any suggestions and or comments of what I should do?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Apr 11, 2011
17 posts
2 upvotes
Unbelievably terrible experience with CarryTel so far. Jumped on the $34.95/month (75D/10U), deal, with 3 free months (2nd, 4th, 6th). Service was great for about 45 days, started to experience speed issues with the line, had to call in to schedule a visit - no problem. Arranged to have them come through and no-show, on two occasions. Eventually my line was fixed and I was able to get the 75down. When I asked about the week of reduced speeds (less than 10M down), they offered for me to pay half price. My prior experience with Teksavvy was that any days that required service (following my notifcation) would simply be credited back, despite what the 'internet' I was receiving. The reduced speeds were impacting my ability reliably access networks for work purposes, and I didn't feel that I should be charged for the unreliability of the service. Am I off-base with this? I can understand that they are third party and certain things are out of their control, but as third party, I feel that you have a contract with Rogers and need to sort out the deficiencies, and you would have a contract with me that you are accountable for that is independent and separate from what Rogers may be causing issues with.

Before settling in on a compromise, another bout of reduced speed (less than 5M down) has come through and am still working through. It's been about 2 weeks of troubleshooting, asking me to submit screenshots of speed tests, promise of callback on status updates on Rogers service, rude and abrupt CSRs (one actually hung up on me as I was asking a question). The last call, the CSR indicated that there have been many tickets submitted to Rogers and that her resolution is that that there is no resolve. My only recourse is to consider their DSL product (50D/10U, $40) or to just sign up with Rogers directly. No offer to waive installation/modem fees, adjust rates to what I have been paying for, in light of my current Carrytel experience. Part of me feels that they may have just labelled me as a problematic customer, that they want to preserve their resources and are better off not having to serve and my constant issues.

I can appreciate that if I am paying less, I should temper my expectations of Customer service as compared to other providers/carriers. I find it interesting to see how the market has shifted where we now have more and more third party providers available, competitively pushing products, but are now falling short on expectations. It's almost as though they are just looking to handle the easy 80%, and skirt through the 20% that may be experiencing challenges. Maybe the next phase of providers will seek and capitalize on both the affordability and customer service. I feel that many things (status updates, step-by-step instructions/videos, etc) can be communicated online to provide customer service and tech support options.

Other things that I also learned from this experience include:
- Their tech support and CSR numbers were not toll free, though they were willing to callback. Except that would be charged for the LD for being on hold consistently for 15-20 minutes at a minimum.
- They do not appear to communicate ticket status updates through email for some reason.

Good news - thanks to a fellow RFD'er, was able to connect with a Rogers Consumer Field Sales agent, and was able to provide 150M unlimited for $35, all fees waived with $50 bill credit. He mentioned that 500M for $60, or 1G for $70 also available, shoot me a message for info if you are interested.

sorry for the rant guys, but felt the need to share!