• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2011 4:22 pm
[OP]
Jan 24, 2011
29 posts
9 upvotes

Cilia Payments - review

I recently switched over my debit and credit card processing to Cilia - here is what my experience was like:

I called their office and spoke to someone from their sales office- i always prefer to meet someone in person to avoid any misunderstandings. I booked an appointment with them for the following day. Gary from their sales team visited me- he offered me 5cents and 1.63% on a month to month contract!

The saying goes, if its too good to be true, usually it is. I decided to chance it, and reluctantly signed their contract. I received my machine a few days later (Gary came and installed it) along with a copy of my contract.

I got my statement via email the following month, and to my surprise, I was charged 5cents and 1.63%.
Gotta say that I am quite happy!

Thumbs up for Cilia.

Anyone interested in their services should refer my name (just use mascot101) and ask for Gary!
9 replies
Apr 6, 2010
493 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
[quote="mascot101" post_id="13600134" time="1318442866" user_id="375570"] I called their office and spoke to someone from their sales office- i always prefer to meet someone in person to avoid any misunderstandings. I booked an appointment with them for the following day. Gary from their sales team visited me- he offered me 5cents and 1.63% on a month to month contract!

I got my statement via email the following month, and to my surprise, I was charged 5cents and 1.63%.
Gotta say that I am quite happy!

Thumbs up for Cilia.[QUOTE]

Interesting story - did they wave the 36 months contract specified on their website?
Also, what are your assessment fees and the non-qualified fees?

And just for general knowledge, their website offers rates "as low as 1.54% OAC", which is not entirely correct. A simple Google search for "visa Canada interchange rates" will tell you who qualifies for those very low rates. It has absolutely nothing to do with your credit. (Think about it, you have to have the application filled before they do their credit check - they are not going to approve you at a higher rate!)

I will also send you a private note.
Cristian.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2011
29 posts
9 upvotes
hey cristian,

check your pm.

the assessment fee (i think) is 0.06% for both visa and m.c.; they partner with global for credit cards and their interchange rates are really good, i think i pay something like 0.15 for most (just browsing through my statement) and the most expensive card I have accepted is 0.65.

Your right about the 1.54, that is the visa interchange rate, i dont know anyone paying that low a rate, but hey, i must admit i am happy with my rate :)
Apr 6, 2010
493 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
mascot101 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2011 5:18 pm
hey cristian,

check your pm.

the assessment fee (i think) is 0.06% for both visa and m.c.; they partner with global for credit cards and their interchange rates are really good, i think i pay something like 0.15 for most (just browsing through my statement) and the most expensive card I have accepted is 0.65.

Your right about the 1.54, that is the visa interchange rate, i dont know anyone paying that low a rate, but hey, i must admit i am happy with my rate :)

Hi mascot,

Thanks for the update and the pm, I replied to it.

I am quite surprised by learning Global offers rates like that, my experience tells me that Global is one of the most expensive companies around, in fact some 30% of my customers are ex-Global... One of them (auto repairs) was actually paying OVER 6% on some cards - the highest I have ever seen, I keep a copy of his statement. Maybe Cilia worked something out with Global, I don't know...
Anyway, we'll talk more about this.
Cristian.
Apr 6, 2010
493 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
So in conclusion, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

I have said this over and over: read the contract you sign - that is before you sign it.

Cilia is a reseller for Global, so they cannot offer a cheaper rate than Global.
Cristian.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2011
29 posts
9 upvotes
absolutely disagree - so I called in to Cilia after speaking with you and turns out there was a processing error - they have credited me for the push funds fee and the admin fee - Cilia also sent me a $25 tim hortons gift card and apologized for the error.

As for the rates, 1.708% including assessment fees is awesome! I have been in business for many years and let me tell you, this is a fair and reasonable rate.

The NQA fees are acceptable to me, they much lower than what I had paid with TD and Monex in the past - everyone offers 0.4-0.5%, this is not possible (just glancing at the interchange fees on visa and mastercard's website I realize that Cilia is making a profit, but hey, they are a business!).

I feel that I have great service, excellent reliability and their customer care (which is most important to me) has exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for the info Cristian, but I'm not sold.
Apr 6, 2010
493 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
mascot101 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2011 9:49 am
absolutely disagree - so I called in to Cilia after speaking with you and turns out there was a processing error - they have credited me for the push funds fee and the admin fee - Cilia also sent me a $25 tim hortons gift card and apologized for the error.

As for the rates, 1.708% including assessment fees is awesome! I have been in business for many years and let me tell you, this is a fair and reasonable rate.

The NQA fees are acceptable to me, they much lower than what I had paid with TD and Monex in the past - everyone offers 0.4-0.5%, this is not possible (just glancing at the interchange fees on visa and mastercard's website I realize that Cilia is making a profit, but hey, they are a business!).

You are quite right, mascot, 1.708% is a good rate - sometimes you can get better, but not by much. It is, however, higher than the 1.63% you first mentioned.

A 0.5% flat rate for NQ is very easy to obtain, in fact it is the HIGHEST I have ever provided for my customers. Pay attention to your statements every month (as cards vary) and you will find that you pay a rate higher than 1%, at least on some of them. (I sent you something in my last e-mail)

The reason Cilia was so nice to you is that, under the Consumer Protection Act, you were entitled to cancel the contract without penalty, and they would have had to refund your money anyway. You would have also been entitled to a refund on your terminal, since they were in breach of contract. Not to mention that there would have been some problems for them with Global as well.

And by the way, I'm quite happy I was able to help you get some money back from them, you're welcome... Another reason why merchants should check their statements and contracts with much care.
Cristian.
[OP]
Jan 24, 2011
29 posts
9 upvotes
Cristian_01 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2011 7:03 pm
You are quite right, mascot, 1.708% is a good rate - sometimes you can get better, but not by much. It is, however, higher than the 1.63% you first mentioned.

A 0.5% flat rate for NQ is very easy to obtain, in fact it is the HIGHEST I have ever provided for my customers. Pay attention to your statements every month (as cards vary) and you will find that you pay a rate higher than 1%, at least on some of them. (I sent you something in my last e-mail)

The reason Cilia was so nice to you is that, under the Consumer Protection Act, you were entitled to cancel the contract without penalty, and they would have had to refund your money anyway. You would have also been entitled to a refund on your terminal, since they were in breach of contract. Not to mention that there would have been some problems for them with Global as well.

And by the way, I'm quite happy I was able to help you get some money back from them, you're welcome... Another reason why merchants should check their statements and contracts with much care.
Cristian.

Thanks for your message Cristian, but my statement does reflect 1.63% - there are always assessment fees and I am quite satisfied that mine are less than 0.1%.

Also, I do not believe there was ever a breach of contract on their part - how would that be? They made an offer, I accepted, and my post was regarding my satisfaction with Cilia, after having been a victim of some of the ruthless other companies out there.

I agreed to pay the $10 push funds fee, after I called they refunded it and removed it without any hassle.

Why don't you try selling for them and see how your customers respond, considering you can get on a month to month agreement with them?

I appreciate your time.
Oct 18, 2011
3 posts
1 upvote
MAPLE
Wow, you guys really know your stuff! Wish you had been around when I was getting screwed by another company!!

I've been with Cilia for just over a year now, and no complaints! I was turned onto them by a friend in the restaurant business who was processing with them already.

I'm very pleased with the back-end support...the customer service is great, but the tech support is where I'm most happy. They actually picked up my call at 2:00 a.m. and helped me with a batch close issue I was having. More my fault, as I hadn't settled a pre-auth, but nonetheless, it was resolved fast!

No rate increases (which is to the contrary of where I was before), and my agent is STILL in contact with me! I even got a gift card on my birthday from them LOL.

They gave me the whole "what you see is what you get" token, and honestly, becasuse of past experiences I didn't completely believe them. Now, I'm still loooking for cracks in the system and can't find any. I've referred a number of other businesses to them and they are all quite happy with the service they are getting, so my reputation is still intact!

I got quoted some pretty low rates (1.63% for Visa and MasterCard) and 6 cents for debit! Since I'm pretty credit card heavy, this has worked in my favor. They were very up front about the assessment fee, so I was well prepared when I got my first statement. Those reward card fees suck, but what can you do?

Someone needs to seriously investigate some of these other companies that promise you the world, then f**k you royally.

If anyone is interested in Cilia, I have a great contact in my Agent!!!!
Apr 6, 2010
493 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
mascot101 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2011 11:04 am
Thanks for your message Cristian, but my statement does reflect 1.63% - there are always assessment fees and I am quite satisfied that mine are less than 0.1%.

Also, I do not believe there was ever a breach of contract on their part - how would that be? They made an offer, I accepted, and my post was regarding my satisfaction with Cilia, after having been a victim of some of the ruthless other companies out there.

I agreed to pay the $10 push funds fee, after I called they refunded it and removed it without any hassle.

Hi mascot,

Just to clarify a couple of things, I was only going on what you said:

Your first post stated the 1.63% discount rate, it didn't say anything about an assessment fee, that came only after I got involved in this thread. And no, assessment fees are not "always there" - some companies blame V/MC for them, as well as "card brand"fees, pass-through fees and so on - they don't have to be there, it's the provider's way to charge you more.

Breach of contract: you said:

"absolutely disagree - so I called in to Cilia after speaking with you and turns out there was a processing error - they have credited me for the push funds fee and the admin fee - Cilia also sent me a $25 tim hortons gift card and apologized for the error."

You did not mention that you agreed to pay for push funds or admin fee, you called it a "processing error" - if you didn't call them they would have probably kept on charging you that. And any charge not specified in your contract is a "breach of contract".
(btw - only Global charges "push funds" under the excuse of getting your money in your account the next day as most others do without the fee)

Last and most important: I am not trying to sell you anything, I went through this discussion to explain that many contracts and claims are not exactly as they appear - if you read throught the posts on cc processing you will find that so many people got burned.

And no, I will never work for Cilia or for Global.
Cristian.