Locked: [Cineplex] Cineplex BOGO Free Movie Tickets, October 14-22

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2020 12:03 am
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
2774 posts
1658 upvotes
Victoria
Bought tickets for Tenet tonight. First movie since pre-COVID. A couple of hours later I got this offer in my inbox :facepalm:
Mar 26, 2004
348 posts
207 upvotes
Oakville
Omesuri wrote: Things must be dire over at Cineplex.
they are, its quite sad
Aug 27, 2018
49 posts
97 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Landmark allows you to book private screening with a min of 20 people.

That's easily a kid's birthday party guest list of friends and family with tons of seating to social distance.
This is true of Cineplex as well. I booked Tenet at an AVX show with 10 friends at the Richmond Hill location. Social distanced and masked of course. It was actually the best experience I've had in theatres since I was a child. I hope more people take advantage of it. To buyout a cinema for a private viewing you need to purchase a minimum of 25 seats (I think it was). An AVX cinema will be the same price as a regular theatre to book out!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7143 posts
3400 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I thought cinemas are forced to close now that the number is up.

The difference between cinema is that people chat with their friends, scream and laugh while eating and drinking.

Actually the most shocking thing is when I see people eating and drinking inside TTC in a crowded bus.
With all the aerosol from all over, do people really feel safe to eat and drink?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
2774 posts
1658 upvotes
Victoria
Update: A few minutes before showtime and we are two of four people in the theatre. This is the only way to watch movies!! Highly recommend.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2689 posts
2212 upvotes
Toronto
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I thought cinemas are forced to close now that the number is up.
Not all locations across Canada are forced to close.

Ontario forced the closure of 22 of its 68 theatres in the province on less than a day’s notice over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

Revised provincial regulations also forced Cineplex to close two theatres in Moncton, N.B. on Friday, and another 17 in Quebec earlier this month.

Cineplex to be 'agile' in face of COVID-19
Oct 7, 2017
711 posts
1166 upvotes
I saw Tenet opening day at Cineplex. Seats were reserveable, spread extremely far apart (probably 15-20 feet), only able to buy in pairs of two (if you buy one seat, the one next to you immediately is unavailable), and the Cineplex I went to grabbed your name and number at the front door for contact tracing. I am 100% for taking this disease seriously, but I am also aware we need to take things logically and assess each situation on it's own. The chances of me getting the virus was extremely low. I work from home so I wasn't worried about spreading the disease after seeing the movie as well (so take that into consideration for your own situation). Do what you will, I'm not interested in shaming either way, but this is one of the safest forms of things you can do publicly during COVID IMO (especially if you can go during the day or on a week day).
Last edited by ClarkZuckerberg on Oct 15th, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 27, 2007
380 posts
322 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Can’t you tell from their $4.54 stock price?
They should grant free movies to the poor saps that paid $33 per share earlier in the year.

But they are hemorrhaging cash. Sadly, I think bankruptcy is in the cards.
Apr 16, 2009
592 posts
144 upvotes
Cineplex is likely to file for bankrupcy soon so don't buy anything you won't use right away. Gift cards and certificates are usually wiped out in bankrupcy proceedings.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1605 posts
915 upvotes
Burnaby
No movies to watch or I would certainly go

I'm not worried about getting infected in a theater - more likely to get infected in a packed grocery store than an empty theater hall
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2945 upvotes
is the dividend yield really 39%? Disappointed But Relieved Face
Mar 9, 2009
435 posts
369 upvotes
wear a mask through a whole movie? nah, I would rather watch at home
May 19, 2009
673 posts
902 upvotes
Vancouver
cooper83 wrote: Bought tickets for Tenet tonight. First movie since pre-COVID. A couple of hours later I got this offer in my inbox :facepalm:
A bit late to ask, but did you cancel your original tickets and then bought new tickets with the offer? Cineplex does let you refund tickets if the movie hasn't started. That's what I did back in February actually when covid was just starting. Bought a Friday night movie, then checked the seating map again an hour later and found that the show was almost fully sold, refunded my ticket and bought a weekday afternoon time slot (with only about 20 people) instead. Definitely a lot more pleasant with the seats near us mostly empty. Also had my tickets refunded last year due to a snowstorm (they don't actually "refund" you but put a complimentary ticket in your account to be used later).
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2525 posts
466 upvotes
Vancouver
jackrabbit000 wrote: Hate to say it but nobody in their right mind would go to a movie right now or anytime in the near future.
Speak for yourself, I gone to 4 movies since they reopened.

Just went tonight there was 5 other people in the theater who were spread out super far from us. I always choose the last row as well.

Felt completely safe. Did not use this deal though as I still have a few Costco vouchers that trying to use up as not sure if Cineplex will make it.

Saw the honest theif btw and it was not too bad.

I come to the conclusion long ago that we will probably end up having to live with this virus. Vacine is not guaranteed, it may mutate, already been cases of people getting it twice.

Also they lost me when they wanted kids and non essential workers back into the offices, if this is so bad then why push people who can do their job 100% at home. It seems like anything fun they don't want you to do but hey go to an office for 8 hours and possibly not even 6 feet apart.

Take precautions and weigh the risks, maybe if the theater was 50% full I would think twice but not when it is like 5% full and the next person is like 20 feet away and the halls are empty.
Last edited by xiaobao on Oct 15th, 2020 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 28, 2017
66 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Its a good deal. But there is no new movie. So i will pass
Nov 10, 2019
170 posts
128 upvotes
Imo, I'd be surprised if they make it through Q4.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1538 posts
2234 upvotes
There should be a YMMV on this.
Good deal but all cinemas in Quebec are closed until Oct 28th at the earliest.
Besides nothing shows up, even advance purchase/upcoming movies, for my local cinema on Cineplex.com
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
7143 posts
3400 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
xiaobao wrote: ...I come to the conclusion long ago that we will probably end up having to live with this virus. Vacine is not guaranteed, it may mutate, already been cases of people getting it twice.....
This!!!
Not too many people is out of the denial mode yet to accept their way of life need to be permanently changed.
You are one of the few who do not lie to themselves that everything will be fine and back to where it was once the vaccine is out.
It is like trying to lose weight, if you go too far, you will go back to your previous routine after a while. The key is to find an equilibrium for the habit to stabilize that it can be sustained in the long run.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12035 posts
2187 upvotes
Mississauga
turbine wrote: They should grant free movies to the poor saps that paid $33 per share earlier in the year.

But they are hemorrhaging cash. Sadly, I think bankruptcy is in the cards.
It's kind of fascinating to see the graph of their stock price over time. From 2003, it increases steadily until July 2017 (~$52 per share) when it just drops off a cliff and never really recovers.