Expired Hot Deals

Locked: [Cineplex] Cineplex BOGO Free Movie Tickets, October 14-22

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2020 12:03 am
Nov 23, 2008
191 posts
106 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: It's kind of fascinating to see the graph of their stock price over time. From 2003, it increases steadily until July 2017 (~$52 per share) when it just drops off a cliff and never really recovers.
I worked at Famous Players before it was bought out by Cineplex during the late 90s to early 2000s. I'm still scarred from cleaning after Harry Potter, Monsters Inc and the Blair Witch Project showings. Back then, theatres were packed and sold out every weekend. It is really sad seeing the state of these cinemas in the current situation.

The 2017 cliff dive is from streaming service becoming readily available en masse. Amazon Prime video launched internationally the year before and that really was the nail in the coffin. I really hope Cineplex does not go bankrupt but the way things are going, it's not looking good. And I'm not sure if they can last another 6 months for the new Bond movie.
Sep 15, 2012
650 posts
295 upvotes
Mississauga
bobclair wrote: I don't want a BOGO, but want to go by myself. I wish they did a 50% off.
You social distancing from the ladies too?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3597 posts
698 upvotes
Kingston
If more production studios go the route of Disney and their Mulan release, all movie theater chains around the world are screwed. Sure Mulan is expensive to watch on Disney+, but if more studios do it, it will potentially drive prices down. This is where I see the movie industry going in the future. Studios are already going the streaming route, so it's naturally the next step for new content. Obviously, unless you own a surround system and such, you'll never replicate the booming sounds of an explosion or gun fire in the theater, but ppl have been avoiding going to the theaters for yrs due to lack of original content or concession pricing.

Sadly the movie theaters days are numbered, the pandemic just sped up the process.
Sep 15, 2012
650 posts
295 upvotes
Mississauga
xiaobao wrote: Speak for yourself, I gone to 4 movies since they reopened.

Just went tonight there was 5 other people in the theater who were spread out super far from us. I always choose the last row as well.

Felt completely safe. Did not use this deal though as I still have a few Costco vouchers that trying to use up as not sure if Cineplex will make it.

Saw the honest theif btw and it was not too bad.

I come to the conclusion long ago that we will probably end up having to live with this virus. Vacine is not guaranteed, it may mutate, already been cases of people getting it twice.

Also they lost me when they wanted kids and non essential workers back into the offices, if this is so bad then why push people who can do their job 100% at home. It seems like anything fun they don't want you to do but hey go to an office for 8 hours and possibly not even 6 feet apart.

Take precautions and weigh the risks, maybe if the theater was 50% full I would think twice but not when it is like 5% full and the next person is like 20 feet away and the halls are empty.
On a scale of Alex Jones to Covid-19, how are you feeling right now?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27028 posts
6402 upvotes
Hamilton
Perfect time to bring your Tinder date there for some night time activities
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Jan 19, 2017
475 posts
763 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: Hate to say it but nobody in their right mind would go to a movie right now or anytime in the near future.
I was hoping there would be a few responses before the fear mongering but it was the first reply :(. Pretty funny how well the regurgitation of media works on the average folk. Yes this crap is real and everyone needs to take precautions but this sky is falling mentality is kind of funny. Thanks for the post OP i am considering taking the Mrs.
Mar 26, 2015
56 posts
76 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I saw Tenet a few weeks ago with a friend, before the "second wave" and we were literally the only 2 people in the theatre. It was significantly less scary than my trips to the grocery store, and if you have taken public transit at least once in the past 6 months the movies are about 347% safer.
Feb 1, 2006
361 posts
59 upvotes
RedSwagDeals wrote: I was hoping there would be a few responses before the fear mongering but it was the first reply :(. Pretty funny how well the regurgitation of media works on the average folk. Yes this crap is real and everyone needs to take precautions but this sky is falling mentality is kind of funny. Thanks for the post OP i am considering taking the Mrs.
Agreed!
A lot of folks here seem to think people will just take their dates home to stream movies in the future.
No more nights out, except for maybe dining at one of the few restaurants that survive the pandemic.

Ridiculous!!!
This will pass just like all the other pandemics and I can only hope Cineplex will continue to thrive. We all need a little escapism from our environments once in a while and going to the movies has always been a great way to do this.
So what’s the agenda in spreading all the negative energy about Cineplex going bankrupt?
Are you stock holders that got burned and now wish to see the company go bust out of revenge?

Focus on hoping for a vaccine so we can get back to doing the things we love... one of which is attending a Cineplex theatre.
Jul 28, 2006
237 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Do you guys think the scene points program will be scrapped if cineplex goes under, or are they a seperate entity and will still be there for other perks? I have accumulated a modest amount and would hate to see about 18k worth going down the drain. Perhaps best to use up now, or convert to scotia reward points (at a loss) to assuage this uncertainty. Thoughts?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17796 posts
1355 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Most RFDers are from Toronto (right?) and I think all Cineplex cinemas are mandated to be closed right now in Toronto right?

So that would explain why a lot of people are "crapping" on the deal. They can't even use it!
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17796 posts
1355 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
trip_vanwinkle wrote: Do you guys think the scene points program will be scrapped if cineplex goes under, or are they a seperate entity and will still be there for other perks? I have accumulated a modest amount and would hate to see about 18k worth going down the drain. Perhaps best to use up now, or convert to scotia reward points (at a loss) to assuage this uncertainty. Thoughts?
It's jointly owned by Scotiabank and Cineplex, no?

Worst case scenario (IMO) - if Cineplex goes under, Scotiabank takes control of the program and uses it for their own purposes. Maybe renames it or something. I can't see them drastically reducing the value of scene points in that scenario - because it would cause BNS to lose a lot of goodwill. Most banks don't like losing goodwill IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5288 posts
1045 upvotes
Toronto
With cineplex hurting for business, I'm surprised they still have their high prices. I figured they would lower prices to entice people to come back, but here I am looking at IMAX still costing over $20
Nov 26, 2016
243 posts
415 upvotes
I went to see Tenet at Scotiabank Theater in IMAX downtown Toronto few weeks ago, it was great! Only 50 ppl allowed per screening so we only had one other couple sitting in our seating row.

Guess this will have to wait now since theaters are closed again in Toronto?
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21577 posts
24462 upvotes
Toronto
glover78 wrote: With cineplex hurting for business, I'm surprised they still have their high prices. I figured they would lower prices to entice people to come back, but here I am looking at IMAX still costing over $20
they did that for a bit upon reopening. $2.99 Tuesdays. $5 other days, any format. Was mainly older movies though.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5329 posts
3921 upvotes
Vancouver
glover78 wrote: With cineplex hurting for business, I'm surprised they still have their high prices. I figured they would lower prices to entice people to come back, but here I am looking at IMAX still costing over $20
Hence the 2 for 1 offer this thread is about.

Ron.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2945 upvotes
RedSwagDeals wrote: I was hoping there would be a few responses before the fear mongering but it was the first reply :(. Pretty funny how well the regurgitation of media works on the average folk. Yes this crap is real and everyone needs to take precautions but this sky is falling mentality is kind of funny. Thanks for the post OP i am considering taking the Mrs.
It's your call, but when epidemiologist after epidemiologist say it is very iffy to go, and list the reasons why, and you go ignore it, then it's really on you if something happens. If there is like 2 other strangers there far far away from you and not eating as in mask being worn the whole time then sure i would do it. But if you cant guarantee that then it is risky. What if 48 people shows up and half of them are eating and drinking the whole time, and a few of them keeps coughing or blowing their noses the whole 2-3 hours you are there? You want to explain to your wife why this was your great idea, and decide whether you should go visit your family a few days after?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2481 posts
1276 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Regal has already filed for bankruptcy in the USA. AMC, the largest US movie chain will likely file for bankruptcy by the end of the year as they are running out of cash as well.

Cineplex is just around the block to do the same.
Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10366 posts
1677 upvotes
I watched Tenet already...

What is there to watch??
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2945 upvotes
absolutely nothing, unless you are into older films. Even there, im not sure they are listening to what people want to see.
Nov 22, 2019
252 posts
180 upvotes
kesleaf wrote: You social distancing from the ladies too?
:/ Have none.