Cineplex is charging a booking fee?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2023 11:00 am
Apr 18, 2008
918 posts
295 upvotes
Mississauga

Cineplex is charging a booking fee?

Using the Cineplex app, it looks like they added a new service fee for buying tickets. Normally $1.50, $1.00 for Scene+ members or the fee is waived for CineClub. Total BS to add service fees when ordering online has been free while they continue to get rid of the box office at most of their theaters.
116 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
So people now need to pay a fee to use buy tickets... what's next, seats will be divided by section (red, blue, white) and ticket prices will be based on seat location...

Customer support at Cineplex is subpar anyways. Been a cineclub member since March and been to the cinema once w/ the kid. To date I have 1 available cineclub member ticket in the account
Wrote them twice, tweeted twice... no response.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
yet another reason not to waste your time or money supporting these rip off theatres. Invest in a good big screen 4K DV surround sound setup at home to comfortably enjoy film on your own time and budget while letting these ancient theatres learn to compete or die off
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6232 posts
4831 upvotes
^ I'm a CineClub member as well. Sometimes you do get some perks being a member. Last year, for the advance screening of MATRIX 4 when Keanu Reeves was at the Scotiabank Theatre for the Canadian premiere I was invited along with a guest for it. Also, they are only giving out the free tickets to the Obi-Wan Kenobi marathon screening to CineClub members. Hopefully, I'll be invited to that function as well on June 22.

https://collider.com/obi-wan-kenobi-scr ... orah-chow/
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
wow....booking fee? seriously?

what's next? seat cleaning fee?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
Time to be disciplined and employ anti-ripoff tactics. Book and pay at the theatre on Tuesdays and sneak in your own snacks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
8453 posts
6938 upvotes
werent you always supposed to do this???
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I bought Thor tickets last week via the website, and I see a processing fee line at 0.00, but it I didn't have to pay a booking fee. Maybe a good thing I ordered early, or maybe it's because I paid with a gift card?

hmm doesn't look like it. Why didn't they just increase the prices of the tickets if they needed to raise revenue. I loathe raising prices by tacking on BS surcharges.. sigh.

A non-refundable online booking fee up to $1.50 plus tax per admission ticket will be added to online purchases made through cineplex.com or the Cineplex app, including purchases made with Scene+ point redemptions and/or certificates or vouchers. Online booking fee for Scene+ members is $1.00 per ticket and is waived for CineClub members.

All Prices Plus Applicable Taxes. Admission pricing for unusual release patterns or special titles and for all Cineplex Events varies by performance. Actual price will be noted at checkout.

*A No Passes restriction may apply to select movies and events. You cannot redeem passes but you may use a Gift Card, Night Out, or Admit One coupon for admission.

Not all films may be available with captioning and described services. Please check showtime information for services available.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5369 upvotes
LOL, you need to pay us an extra fee because we give you the honour of being allowed to buy tickets from us (& pay us!)
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Some American theatre chains are adding surcharges as well. I guess they see Ticketmaster gouging people with their fees so they feel like they might as well join in. This will also encourage people towards getting Cineclub.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: ^ I'm a CineClub member as well. Sometimes you do get some perks being a member. Last year, for the advance screening of MATRIX 4 when Keanu Reeves was at the Scotiabank Theatre for the Canadian premiere I was invited along with a guest for it. Also, they are only giving out the free tickets to the Obi-Wan Kenobi marathon screening to CineClub members. Hopefully, I'll be invited to that function as well on June 22.

https://collider.com/obi-wan-kenobi-scr ... orah-chow/
As per the Cineplex site, there's only 1 showing in Canada (Toronto Scotiabank) and its sold out.
DiceMan wrote: Time to be disciplined and employ anti-ripoff tactics. Book and pay at the theatre on Tuesdays and sneak in your own snacks.
Coincidence there's a BULK BARN next to the Cineplex in South Short, QC? Winking Face
ReeGee wrote: yet another reason not to waste your time or money supporting these rip off theatres. Invest in a good big screen 4K DV surround sound setup at home to comfortably enjoy film on your own time and budget while letting these ancient theatres learn to compete or die off
Normally I agree but being 2022 every news outlet and tom, dick and harry content creators out there spoil movies/shows for the sake of generating clicks without any restraint.
Nearly impossible now to wait 45 days for a theatrical release to hit VOD w/o being spoiled.

Well known news site spoiled Kenobi EP5 at 8am yesterday on their front page.

The pandemic though was good for home theatre enthusiasts with the 'same day releases'. We gladly paid 30$ to watch at home.
thelefteyeguy wrote: wow....booking fee? seriously?

what's next? seat cleaning fee?
or using the washroom.

It is cleaver accounting by Cineplex. The fee is not part of the ticket sales which a % needs to be returned to the studios. They are pocketing the 1.5$ for each transaction and its just gravy for their books along w/ high concession prices.
zod wrote: Why didn't they just increase the prices of the tickets if they needed to raise revenue. I loathe raising prices by tacking on BS surcharges.. sigh.
The fee goes into Cineplex's pockets and not the Studios
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: ^ I'm a CineClub member as well.
Do you have any issues w/ the membership? The member tickets here are not adding up and trying to get a hold of Cineplex is like trying to reach the Queen at Buckingham Palace.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6232 posts
4831 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: Do you have any issues w/ the membership? The member tickets here are not adding up and trying to get a hold of Cineplex is like trying to reach the Queen at Buckingham Palace.
I'll admit their guest services absolutely sucks and my advice is to be persistent and keep trying. I've had to phone, email and have tried live chat to reach them. Sooner or later you should get a reply.

KravenHead wrote: As per the Cineplex site, there's only 1 showing in Canada (Toronto Scotiabank) and its sold out.
I suspect "sold out" really meant targeted customers and "select" CineClub members will be getting an email this week about the Obi-Wan tickets as mentioned in the article I linked. These type of events are FREE and seldom can you buy a ticket. Think about it, it's a Disney+ show we've already seen 5 episodes at home already. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: I'll admit their guest services absolutely sucks and my advice is to be persistent and keep trying. I've had to phone, email and have tried live chat to reach them.\
Where is the CHAT option? AM on the site now and can't find it
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6232 posts
4831 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: Where is the CHAT option? AM on the site now and can't find it
I've noticed the live CHAT doesn't show up all the time. I used it about 2 months ago.
Dec 14, 2016
914 posts
948 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
zod wrote: I bought Thor tickets last week via the website, and I see a processing fee line at 0.00, but it I didn't have to pay a booking fee. Maybe a good thing I ordered early, or maybe it's because I paid with a gift card?
Just bought a ticket for Top Gun this afternoon using the mobile app and a gift card...processing fee = $0.00.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
Confirmed the Kenobi event is "an invite only event". Wondering why bothering listing it on the website..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
KravenHead wrote: Normally I agree but being 2022 every news outlet and tom, dick and harry content creators out there spoil movies/shows for the sake of generating clicks without any restraint.
Nearly impossible now to wait 45 days for a theatrical release to hit VOD w/o being spoiled.

Well known news site spoiled Kenobi EP5 at 8am yesterday on their front page.

The pandemic though was good for home theatre enthusiasts with the 'same day releases'. We gladly paid 30$ to watch at home.
I regularly go 2-4 months if not longer waiting for 4K home releases and never run into any spoilers despite being on platforms like Reddit, Twitter and this entertainment forum almost every day. I watched popular high engagement releases like Everything Everywhere and No Way Home completely blind months after theatre release. It's never been an issue for me but I also don't follow any corny clickbaity news outlets or content creators who would do something like that, I also avoid release specific threads on here until I've watched it. It's not hard to avoid spoilers if you're just mindful of what you click and follow.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6232 posts
4831 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: Confirmed the Kenobi event is "an invite only event". Wondering why bothering listing it on the website..
Still crossing my fingers that we score tickets for this Kenobi marathon screening. I'm old school and have always enjoyed STAR WARS movies at theatres with people camping out in line for tickets etc. It's about the camaraderie, the fans getting together for a fun time. Same reason we still go to ridiculous events like Comi-Con and Fan Expo. LOL My friends and myself will be quite disappointed if we don't get any tickets for this watch party.
May 16, 2016
47 posts
74 upvotes
Interesting how this online "booking fee" keeps yo-yoing.

I remember Cineplex charged a booking fee when online ticketing was new, then they got rid of it, and made a big point in their ads of no online fees to encourage people to book online.

Then right before the pandemic, around 2019- early 2020, they introduced it again, but only for those screenings with reserved seats.

Then during the pandemic, when all seats started to be reserved, they got rid of it again, and now they're reintroducing it.

Like someone else mentioned, they closed the ticket counters at most of the cinemas, so it's an extra hassle to get someone to come open one, or wait for the popcorn counter to open up, if you don't want to use the machines outside.

I see some other people complaining on social media that it was done in a stealth/sneaky manner, and immediately with no advance warning. At least with the scene points change, they sent an e-mail, and announced it 2 months in advance.

They claim on social media that it's "to fund the expansion and improvements of our digital infrastructure and offerings", so it would be nice if they shared what those expansions and improvements will be to justify it according to their own reasoning, instead of the cash grab that it looks like with no improved services.

At least, as opposed to a price hike, you can avoid it by buying the tickets in person.

I think everyone should now try to buy the tickets in person, as much as possible, creating long lines in person, so they'll regret this poorly implemented obvious cash grab decision.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)